Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercury Mariner

Comments

• palegreenpalegreen Member Posts: 7
    If you participated in one of the Montego/Mariner test drive events recently, check your mailbox. I just received a $500 bonus rebate postcard, usable on either vehicle. (Must take delivery by 1/3)
  • housethouset Member Posts: 36
    Is there any way or know of a way that I can get the White papers on the Mach 300 system. I'm looking mainly for photos of the back of the system and wire connector diagram so that I can properly wire my Mariner's system up?

Ant, can you help out on this one since you seem to be all that is Ford :)
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    You can contact Visteon, and maybe they will supply it for you (not that they have to, since your buying it from Ford, not them), but maybe if you ask kindly, they will let you have the techinical specs of it.
    I've sent them an email. I'll let you know what they say.
    Ok.. if anyone cares, i found out a little more about the Mach from Visteon

The Aux button that's located on teh CD button is solely for the use of the DVD entertainment option with the Vehicle. I don't believe that you can hook up an external device. I may rip out the stereo this weekend just to make sure; Of course when my wife's not around..

The SAT is only for the required hookup of the add-on Sirius system from Ford. 400 bucks to me is a little steep.

Overall, I'm up to just under 1000 miles, on my 4th tank of gas.. I've avg. so far: 19.8, 19.5, and 20.7. I've come to the conclusion that even just highway driving, you'll never, ever achieve a 23 MPG rating.

Overall, I love the vehicle.. It's really classy looking inside and out. I still miss my steering wheel audio controls though. I find myself pushing buttons that arent' there on occasion. But I'm getting used to it.
    I too have never been able to reach EPA estimates on highway milage on any car I've owned. Of course, "highway" driving means many different things to different people.... Usually it's 55MPH according to the EPA, but for many of us, we have 60-75MPH limits on some highways. Once over 55MPH, you start losing efficiency of 10% at every 10MPH increase. In some vehicles I've done 95-105MPH I've seen it dip down to 12-15MPG only because your fighting the wind moreso.

One vehicle which is from an automaker that is reveered for fuel stingy I-4 engined vehicles, I was getting 17MPG when the vehicle usually does 31-39MPG as the EPA sticker stated.

I gave up on the EPA estimates long time ago.
  • sfmarinersfmariner Member Posts: 2
    I too was disappointed that the Mariner did not come with Outside Temp and Homelink option for my garage. However, I've learned that you can buy the same mirror with the gauge and homelink that is offered on the Mazda Tribute. Check out the Accessories in the Mazda USA site. It should fit just fine since it's the same vehicle essentially.
  • theman123theman123 Member Posts: 170
    Hello Everybody,

I know I'm a day late

OK I have to admit, I haven't driven the Mercury Mariner but from what I've been reading about it, people pretty much like it, except for a few things.

The Mercury Mariner has received a pretty positive review from AutoWeek. Also, it seems to be getting pretty positive reviews from other online websites as well.

Personally I like the Mariner. I really like the styling on the inside and out. However, Like someone said if you come to the game late you'd better have a advantage over everybody else. To me the only real advantage that the Mariner has over the competition is JUST it's style. I'm sure that not everybody is blow away by the Mercury style.

Mercury to me was just lazy, they just copied the Escape and put it into a tuxedo. They even copied the same flaws. Everybody knows that the 2.3 liter 4 cylinder engine in the Escape/Mariner (which is the same 2.3 liter engine in the ST 05 Focus) is to small and underpowered for the Escape/Mariner . The Escape/Mariner is TOO heavy for it. So much so that the engine screams like a pig (from what I've read) and it's losses much of it's MPG advantage over the V-6. The 2.3 liter engine has lazy and terrible acceleration because of it. To make matters worse Mercury is asking $21,000 for the base Mariner OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!! (which has the same 2.3 liter engine as the ST 05 Focus) that goes for $18,475.

Keep the styling interior and exterior styling like it is. Put a much sportier suspension package on the Mariner. Make it a sportier package than the Mazda Tribute. Kill that dog of a 4 cylinder that came from the Escape/Mariner and I even think the Tribute has it. Make the V-6 standard (for $21,000 to walk in the door, it should be) that's hella expensive for a 2.3 liter 4 cylinder engine. Also, offer more transmission packages. Like the nice 5 speed manu-select auto tranny that's in the Mazda3 (if you can put a 5 speed auto in a econo car you could put on in a $21,995 SUV). For top of the line Mariners hey even throw in a 6 speed automatic from the 500 (I do not like that car by the way, but it has a great 6-speed tranny). Finally throw in a navigation system (Hey your paying for it). Also, take the Shaker sound system out of the 05 mustang and replace the Mach 1 sound system. The Shaker sound system can play MP3 formatted disc and it's a 6-disc changer. Seriously increasing the music you can listen to without raising the cost that much, I would think. That would justify the price for allot of people, to me. Like I said earlier, I like the Mariner I saw it a a mall near were I live and It's Nice !!. It's just that to me, they can do allot better that's all. I know that most of this is just wishful thinking but if Ford/Mercury did some of those changes I think the Mariner could really be PHAT!!! trust me Mercury to me would be ONE HOT brand. OK that's my little 2 cents.

Thanks

TheMan123

No the name doesn't mean anything I just typed in the first thing that came to mind :)
    I don't think anyone would disagree with any of you said. I think car companies sometimes purposely do this. They always give you almost everything, and then leave something left behind.

My dream Mariner is: Auto Climate, Outside Temp, Steering wheel Audio, and MP3 capability in the Mach. Navigation System would be cool, but in my Wife's old Acura (R.I.P.), it was cool for the first month, then after that, it rendered itself useless.

My reason for choosing a Mariner was simple: Better looking than the Escape, Better service with Lincoln Mercury, and about 1500 cheaper for a comparable equipped Escape (I am an X-Plan price member and received the 2000 Rebate when the Escape only offered 1000).

I wanted a small SUV. and Looked at the Tucson, Equinox, Tribute, Escape, Liberty, and Mariner.

Out of those, the Mariner seemed slightly better for me in every category, including aesthetics.

If the Mariner decided to upgrade to the things that i wanted next year, I'd probably be stupid and take a slight loss and trade mine in. But in reality, there's always something new invented we will want. Otherwise, car companies will have a difficult time selling their product on a more frequent basis.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    What did you think about the Hyundai Tucson. Did you test drive it?? Opinion, please.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If you haven't already found it you might be interested in this discussion: Hyundai Tucson

tidester, host
  • lakehouselakehouse Member Posts: 2
    I test drove both the 4 and the 6 cyl. and for the life of me I can not understand the criticism. My 4 cyl.has a lot of zip, far more than has been written about on this site; my brother-in-law could not believe the power for the smaller engine. It does not squeal, it growls when you need the power. I love my Mariner and it has more than enough power. Even though I am seeing more Mariner's since my purchase, I am bewildered as to why I am not seeing more of these wonderful vehicles.
  • flasvtflasvt Member Posts: 64
    You will see them don't worry. I didn't get the 4 cil because many of the option that I wanted were unavailable if I did. I got the Premier and have been in honeymoon since, but the new Duratec 23 is a huge improvement over the former Zetec 2.0, more power more torque and a few reviewers are already recognizing the value of this engine. Its funny but nobody seems to be complaining about this engine in the Ecape Hybrid. I guess that most auto journalists are afraid of swimming against the tide. And trashing Ford seems to be fashionable now days.

Enjoy your ride lakehouse!
  • sfmarinersfmariner Member Posts: 2
    I just got a Premier Package Mariner last week and I'm very happy. I agree with Houset on the things that Mercury missed to add further differentiation to the product line. Nonetheless, I'm still loving it a week later. Now, as to making the Mariner even sportier than the tribute, I don't think that's the aim of the Mariner as it serves a more refined and elegant style. Leave the sportiness to the tribute.

Now, I just learned that the Escape and Tribute from 2001 to 2005 are being recalled for a liftgate problem that could make the gate go flying in an accident if not locked. I presume that this will also apply to the Mariner. Has anyone heard anything on Ford extending the recall to the Mercury Mariner?
    I testdrove the Tuscon. As far as the drive, I actually did enjoy it. It had a lot of pep, and the interior was surprisingly roomier than even the Mariner. The reason I didn't choose it: Very little price break, Bland interior, and everytime I looked at it, I thought I was in the movie 'Finding Nemo'. It just has that Hyundai SUV fish-like look to it. But if that's your thing, it definitely has some real nice impressive things about it.

Like I said earlier, I really like the Kia Sorento exterior styling out of all SUV's in this class on the Market, with the Mariner being number 2. But 15-20MPG just wouldn't cut it with my 110 mile daily commute, as well as Kia's relatively unknown reliability and lower resale value.
  • tedblue0515tedblue0515 Member Posts: 1
    I just tested the 3.0 Duratec. It seems to growl contintuously. Was wondering if anyone had a similar experience.
    The recall is not for all of them. Don't know the criteria but the recall expands to cars of all model years so is very confusing. So far the Mariner hasn't been mentioned. I guess that is a matter of seating down and wait for the letter or check with Mercury customer service, which is actually very good
    Nothing that bothers me here. Is not a quiet car but the engine sound does not bother me at all.
    I've noticed a strong anti-freeze smell coming from the vents over the past 3 days.. bummer.. Have only 1600 miles. I will be taking it in this week.. I'll keep everyone posted on what it might be
    Hey, thanks for sharing, nothing of the sort here but I’ll keep a nostril open for it. Actually, no problems to report here after 2300 miles. The fuel consumption average has gone up to 19.8 mpg and for the last 3 weeks has been increasing about 0.2 mpg per week. I expect this to improve much more, though.
    Just purchased a Golden Ash V6 Premium Mariner with leather and side steprails for X-Plan price of approx. $24,000. MSRP was $26,000 plus...(X-Plan was approx. $30.00 more that invoice), however: with the 389.00 dealer fee taken off and a $2000.00 rebate and a $750.00 hurricane incentive (Florida resident) and the dealer told me there was an extra $500.00 X-Plan incentive (which he later realized was a mistake...but he honored his commitment anyway)...so it ended up $3,750.00 off the X-Plan price I ended up getting the top of the line Mariner for roughly $20,250.00 plus tax and a $45.00 xfer tag fee.
    I live in FL too but the Hurricane incentive was only available to people that suffered damages in their cars. Was that your case? or we are talking about a different incentive. I live in South Florida were the damage was minimum.

Congratulations on you new Mariner. I am enjoying mine...
    I received some minor damage...I live in Melbourne Beach and we really got hit hard with lots of structural damage, also.
  • larry51klarry51k Member Posts: 35
    Some of you have commented that Mercury service departments are better than other brands. The closest Mercury dealer to me is a combination Ford/Mercury dealership. Would it be better if I purchase a Mariner from a stand alone Mercury dealer? Your opinions, please.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Usually service departments are run separately from new and used car sales, so they probably won't know or care where you purchased the car.

Unless you get some perks for buying where you intend to get it serviced (like free loaners), I'd buy it from the dealer who offers the best price.

Steve, Host
    I agree. The survey stating that Lincoln/Mercury buyer's rated their service experience top, is just an indication. But I believe sales price is the priority at first, since maybe you'll never get to even take your vehicle in for service. And even so, you could buy the car at one dealership, yet take it to another L/M for service. You don't need to have it service at the exact dealer you bought it, although the original dealer might treat you a bit better wanting you as return business.
    Does anyone know if the base price for the Premier has increase $90 from the Edmunds figures? KBB has it higher as did a salesperson I spoke with.
    Don't know - please send in a Contact us form and someone will look into it.

Thanks,

Steve, Host
  • pats1fanpats1fan Member Posts: 18
    I have had an issue with my Mariner Premiere since I received in 11/04. It has a weird intermittent vibration (like a cat purring) at 72 mph in the steering wheel. The dealer said "oh, that's nothing. A lot of cars come out of manufacturing with the wheels out of balance," and then scheduled service. The service was an alignment, a power balance of the tires and an adjustment of the rear struts. There was no difference when it was returned to me, therefore they informed me that the alignment machine "must not have been calibrated." Second service, another alignment, and of course still vibrating. Third service "It must be the front tires." Return the vehicle, still vibrating. After making lots of noise with dealer, they inform me that it is the brand of tire on the Mariner itself (Continental Contour). Furthermore, the dealer's owner's wife has the exact vehicle with exact problem. They have never once disputed the vibration. The fix? To replace Continental tires with a full set of Michelin Tires. NOT FIXED. I demanded that I drive another 05 Mariner to "prove" that my car was defective. Well, to my dismay that one also vibrated at 72mph (as verified by dealer employee that rode along with me). Finally, they stated "Ford is aware of this problem and is working on it." They informed me that it is an issue with the model and invited me to the "meeting with the Ford engineers" when they come to the dealership on February 3, 05. Am I the ONLY person who can feel this outside of the owners wife? Additionally, my brakes squeal terribly in snowy conditions. I don't even need to apply pressure to the brakes for the noise to occur. Also, they grind every morning for at least 500ft. After another lengthy service "discussion," and following the failed attempts to convince me it was "normal," they also informed me that it is a problem in all Mariners, that they are producing brake pad replacements, that they won't be ready until March 05, and that I am "on the list." They will only replace those pads for people who complain, not all customers.

I am so incredibly disappointed because after an extensive search this vehicle met all of my needs. If I didn't drive on the highway and live in New England the Mariner would be perfect. Has anyone else had the vibration/brake issues?
  • lakehouselakehouse Member Posts: 2
    I continue to be very happy with my car after driving it for over 6,ooo miles. I have had absolutely no problems with the steering wheel vibrating at 70+ miles.

As far as the brakes are concerned,I read in the owner's manual that some noise from your brakes is normal;My brakes will "groan" a bit after starting and driving for a short distance, and then no noise at all. Also,I remember reading that the brakes on the Mariner were rated as being very good. Recently, I was driving in a pouring rain on a two-lane road and I braked to avoid hitting a dog that was crossing the road. I expected that once I braked so quickly, that I would have to fight the car, but the Mariner stopped STRAIGHT and there was no fighting of the wheel needed;I was very impressed and very thankful that I avoided hitting the dog. Lakehouse
    All I can say is that you are lucky. Another lengthy discussion with the dealership today, and now I am told that I should expect it to shake because it's an SUV.
    I am sorry you are experiencing these problems. I have had a Mariner Premier since the end of November and haven't experienced the vibration in the steering wheel you describe nor the problem with the brakes. I was wondering if your Mariner is 4WD. Mine is FWD as I found no reason to buy a 4WD vehicle for South Florida. Maybe your problems are related to the 4WD system. Just my two cents.
    Hi guys, You forgot to include the Mariner in the pull-down menu for Mercury in the Discussion search area of Inside Line, it will be a much welcomed fix for this section's readers. Other than that, Excellent Job!
    Noted, thanks!

We also have a Contact us form for any other errors or omissions you stumble over.

Steve, Host
    Yes, it is a 4WD. Today might be one of those days that I am going to completely forget about the vibration. I'm in RI watching the snow pile up.
    A couple of quick notes....

I too have the brake squealing problem.. It's been 2100 miles for my Mariner, and it still occurs. THe vibration in the steering wheel doesn't occur, but i think i have Michelin tires on mine.

I have to say though, I have 3 minor gripes: When I turn my heated seats on, the button is so far under the seat that I can't see the light whether it's on or off.. The second is the seatbelt. It is sometimes for whatever reason difficult to reach for behind my left shoulder. Finally and by far the worst.. I have no clue when my SUV is in 4wd. I know that it is automatic, but it could at least have some sort of indicator light letting me know when 4wd kicks in. I know there is a light in the upper left corner of the instrument panel, but it never turns on, and after this snowfall of 12 inches in my area, I took it out for a "spin" :), and nothing lit up. I was disappointed with that. so i wonder if it is defective or is that indicator light for some other purpose.
    The 4WD system is ALWAYS ACTIVE, this having a light on would be very annoying to say the least. Following is what the manual says about the light in the instruments cluster. “ The 4WD system has a heat protection mode to protect itself from damage. If the system detects an overheat condition, it will enter a locked mode. If the heat continues to rise in locked mode, it will disable itself.” The 4Wd in the cluster is for this Heat Protection System.

According to the manual, this is how the 4WD light works? “BLINKS CONTINUOSLY when the 4WD system is disengaged (i.e. 2WD) due to heat protection mode. BLINKS SEVERAL TIMES every minute when 4WD system requires service. If you have a message center you can get the following messages: SERVICE 4WD, 4WD LOCKED TEMPORARILY, 4WD DISABLED TEMPORARILY, 4WD AUTO RESTORED.” You may not have a light telling you that the 4WD system is engaged but you get tremendous peace of mind.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Vibration in the steering wheel.. This can be caused by simply having the tires aligned, to balanced or even the tires are defective? Have the dealership try a new set of tires for you.
    My original post stated that they first "power balanced" the tires, did two alignments, adjusted the rear struts, replaced the two front tires from the same manufacturer, and then finally replaced all 4 tires with Michelin tires. None of this changed the vibration. The dealer said they have a vibration detection machine and that initially it "registered off the charts," but is "now in the acceptable range for an SUV." They also said that although some Mariners have NO vibration, the one I have (which they still do not deny) is "acceptable."
    Just had the Mariner Curt Hitch installed.If anyone is getting same...be advised..... the tailpipe is mounted with rubber type brackets and you will get a loud thump or banging noise as the tailpipe moves back and forth enough to hit the side area of the hitch. The dealer that did the installation moved the rubber type hanger as far as he could away from the hitch and this rectified the situation.
  • jonb45jonb45 Member Posts: 2
    I just recently purchased a mercury premier. I had them install a hitch and wiring harness when I bought it. Does it have a trans oil cooler on it? it has something that looks like one, if you look from the front of the car, under the bumper you can see a small radiator thing, is that the trans cooler? I see the radiator, the ac condenser, but I didn't know if this third thing was a trans cooler? thanks
  • mwademwade Member Posts: 1
    I am new to the car buying experience and this Mariner will be my 2nd car @ 20yrs old. And when i went to the dealer they only had the preimer avalible with all the features which was fine because of my research on the internet my anticipate total cost should be around 24,689 after the rebate (which was done on carsdirect) but when i went to the dealer they told me that i was crazy and that the car goes for about 28k with the features that i wanted. So i am curious what are some of the prices you guys paid for this car. I want everything but the tow package.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,318
    how about some more info? 2wd/awd, msrp. do you mean out the door price of 24689 (all taxes, etc included)?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I like Carsdirect buying experience overall, and the straight forward pricing. I also recommend it to those who want to get an idea of what the market out there is paying, and what the rebates are off. And if they rather just not deal with a dealership directly, or don't even need a taste drive, this would work with them.

There's a few other's like AutoByTel that some of my friends have used. And then you have FordDirect as well, which you can try and find out what's the lowest they are willing to go.
    Does anyone with a Mariner have mudguards? Did you get them from the dealer? What type(molded or the flimsy Mariner labeled ones? Do the Excape or Tribute ones fit? Anyone think they help or hurt the looks? Thanks.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,318
    nice segue ant.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • clariosclarios Member Posts: 19
    I have had the Mariner Premier 4WD since mid-November. I have not experienced the vibrations at 72 MPH, nor have I had problems with the brakes. If you continue having problems with vibrations, think about looking into your state's lemon laws. It may be that you in fact got unlucky with the one you got. I have, however, been taking mine in repeatedly for a high pitched noise. I am posting another message about that.
    I have had my Mariner since mid-November, and have taken it to the shop about 4-5 times because of a high-pitched noise that comes out of the center console. The mechanic heard it when I dropped it off. But has never been able to reproduce it when I am not there, thus not being able to pin-point it and fix it. I, however, get to hear it all the time. Has anyone had this problem? If so, and if it has been fixed, can you tell me what fixed it? The dealer has tried to find out more information directly from Ford in Detroit, with no luck. I used to think it was related to the heater/air conditioner. But after playing around to see if I could reproduce it at will, I now think it is related to the radio. I have the Mach 300 stereo that is available with the Premier model. Thanks.
    If you are talking about the 4WD model, I think 24,689 is too low, and you won't get that. I got a 4WD Premier with all the extras except for the full size spare tire. MSRP was $29,550. Invoice was $27400. I paid $28,900 ($1500 over invoice), less $2000 rebate, $26900. Though going from MSRP of $29,500 to $28,900 may not sound like a lot, I felt good about that price based on what I had read other people had paid for theirs. Besides, I had multiple dealers fighting for my business, and one after another dropped out, saying that they could not go any lower. After I did not get any more phone calls for about two weeks, I figured that they had in fact reached their lowest price. I called my preferred dealer, mentioned what my lowest offer was (which was still less than the lowest price I had gotten up to that point), and we had a deal. I hope this helps you.
    Paid $150 below invoice. Premier 4wd w/moonroof, side impact pkg and side step rails. MSRP $28,900, invoice $27,001. minus $150 = $26, 851 minus $2000 rebate = $24,851(plus NY taxes, I believe before the rebate is taken). Ordered Jan 19, due to arrive Feb 8! Don't want it until end of March when current jeep lease is up. They told me 6-8 weeks. Oh well, they'll park it for six weeks, hopefully, out of harms way.

Shouldn't this be in the "prices paid" forum?