Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Short Gearing Is Fun Gearing - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,059
edited May 2015 in Ford
imageShort Gearing Is Fun Gearing - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.com's long-term 2015 Ford Mustang GT has a 3.73 final drive that brings many benefits to the driving experience, but also hurts fuel economy.

Read the full story here

Comments

• bankerdannybankerdanny Posts: 1,021
    I think that is probably an interesting graph, but since I am not viewing it on a 24 in monitor I don't know, because the damn font size for the numbers is microscopic on my 15.4" laptop screen. Why can't I click to view a larger version?
  • The dark grey lines are 50/100/150 mph. Hint: CNTRL+ (Command+ on a Mac) will zoom in, even on your laptop.
  • yellowbalyellowbal Posts: 234
    The RPMs drop exactly the same, no? Ratios between gears doesn't change with the different final drive.
  • defyant15defyant15 Posts: 74
    Some poeple complain about short gearing as something that requires constant shifts. I personally like it - I didnt buy a manual transmission to be lazy! Seems like the 3.73 as you said is a good choice.

Welcome to the Long Term blog Carlos. I'm a fan of your work on MT.
  • mtnbiker8mtnbiker8 Posts: 39
    Have the 3.73. If I'm shifting casually I usually short shift (1,3 or 2,4). When I want to have fun a 3.73 will pull a little harder. Not my road trip car so highway stuff is fine. YMMV.
  • christoplechristople United StatesPosts: 27
    Is this Carlos's first post??? Welcome to the team, I wonder if edmunds.com will start doing video productions like Motor Trend

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that"

• boffboff Posts: 91
    I do wish 6th gear wasn't so tall. I can't imagine how gutless a 3.31:1 car would be accelerating at highways speeds.
  • yellowbalyellowbal Posts: 234
    boff said:

I do wish 6th gear wasn't so tall. I can't imagine how gutless a 3.31:1 car would be accelerating at highways speeds.

You can always downshift.
  • boffboff Posts: 91
    yellowbal said:

boff said:

Very true. I got good at that driving a Mazda RX-8...but a Mustang??
  • fordson1fordson1 Posts: 1,512
    boff said:

yellowbal said:

boff said:

Very true. I got good at that driving a Mazda RX-8...but a Mustang??
    One is doing 1900 at 70, the other 2100. Not a hell of a lot of difference. I don't think that 5.0 is hurting in its ability to pull long gears.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Posts: 671
    In one of Carlos' motortrend videos he is sliding a red Miata CS around a race track, really beating on it. Awesome stuff.
    Well, I was shopping for a used Miata CS and a local LA dealer had one. Red, low miles, claimed only one careful driver.
    I compared the license plate to the one that Carlos drove and guess what? Yup, same car! I guess Mazda sold its test car to this dealer, who tried to pawn it off as one driven by a little old lady from Pasasdena!

Welcome aboard Carlos!