Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Why I Don't Drive It - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2015 in Ford
imageWhy I Don't Drive It - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Our long-term 2015 Ford Mustang GT is fast, fun and sounds great, but it's also orange and suffers from a harsh ride. Here's why I don't drive it home more often.

Read the full story here

Comments

• yellowbalyellowbal Member Posts: 234
    So you don't drive the Jag either?
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    The color doesn't bother me, although I still think that the Mustang suffers from a severe lack of any kind of contrasting trim or a decent sticker package, but the more I read the more I think that I would not bother with the sport package (and I definitely would not pop for the Recaros)
  • mtnbiker8mtnbiker8 Member Posts: 39
    There is general agreement that the GT PP rear suspension is a little underdamped on rebound. The ride is a little bouncy agreed. Too bad you guys can't mod these long-term road test cars.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    The pogo comments is a good discription of the how the rear end of a Stang GT I was behind in traffic bobbed up in down on bumps.
  • ken_dken_d Member Posts: 4
    I just bought the GT with 3.55 rear end, manual transmission and no PP. It drives great on lousy Dallas streets. I can't imagine getting the PP for daily driving. It's plenty firm without jarring the kidneys. An absolute blast to drive. And Ruby Red is pretty awesome.
  • nedmundonedmundo Member Posts: 33
    I drove a GT without the PP, and it was fine on some fairly rough pavement. Then I rode while my dad tested one with the PP on similar pavement, and it was way too stiff for a daily driver IMO. I'd skip the PP, but try to get its front upper strut tower brace for sharper turn in and hopefully better steering feel. Don't know why that doesn't come standard on the GT -- even my TSX has one.
  • defyant15defyant15 Member Posts: 74
    edited June 2015
    The GTPP has braces + sway bars, additional sport stability control tuning, additional cooling, torsen and giant brakes - the steering feel is incredible (in addition to custom shocks and springs). Even if you dont want the dampers/springs, its an incredible deal. My 2 cents - you can always get a set of shocks and springs that suit your needs for a modest cost. Most people who would track would change those out anyway for a Koni/Roush/Steeda/FRPP /Tokico set.

The PP gives you stuff that would cost a hell of a lot of money in the aftermarket.
  • mtnbiker8mtnbiker8 Member Posts: 39
    defyant15 - there are some adjustable shocks out right now from Viking that seem to be helping the bounciness on the street while providing better performance on the track. Koni Yellows and the rest will presumably come soon. Lots of options but you make a great point on the value proposition.

• legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    Nothing to be ashamed of. Most Americans don't drive Mustangs. There's good reason that has nothing to do with the car but everything to do with our needs. We need space. We need comfort. Millions of of us would love to drive the Mustang...a few times. Instead we buy our sedans and our crossovers and pile on the miles.
  • prndlolprndlol Member Posts: 140
    The orange paint I can handle, it's those spray can black wheels I think knock several points off the car's curb appeal.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    My daily driver is a stock 2012 Wrangler Rubicon 2 door. Is the ride on this Mustang worse than my Jeep?
  • codeallnightcodeallnight Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2015
    I can't drive the orange mustang because it looks like a pumpkin.
    I can't drive the yellow mustang because it looks like a taxi cab.
    I can't drive the red mustang because, well, too cliche.
    I can't drive the white mustang because so many utility vans are white. Oh, and it is a color of mourning in China.
    I can't drive the silver mustang because 60% of all cars on the road are silver and why the hell to you buy a mustang to look like 60% of the cars on the road.
    I can't drive the black mustang because the lines get lost and I don't want to be mistaken for a Uber driver.
    I can't drive the gray mustang because it is too damn conservative.
    I can't drive the ruby red mustang because you may as call call it dirty red. And c'mon, almost every other Ford car is offered in Ruby Red. I don't want my mustang to be the same color as a Ford Fusion, or Escape.
    I can't drive the DIB mustang because that color reminds me of a Subaru Forester