Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2001 Ford Escape Transmission

jedi1967jedi1967 Member Posts: 1
edited June 2015 in Ford
In May 2014 had purchased a 2001 Ford Escape XLT. There was no issues with Transmission and Engine and always checked the fluids. May 2015 driving on I-75 north headed to work, the Ford Escape started to lose acceleration. Pulled vehicle over the shoulder. No burning oil in engine or trans. Put car into park and turned off engine. Restarted the car and put it into drive, no movement. Only engine rreving. Put gear into 1,2 and R. Car did not move. Had it towed the next day home. Transmission fluid was red but a little brown. Transmission never slipped. Sometimes it jolted a little bit. Mechanic friend came to home next day. The gear shifter cable was loose. Popped it back in. He was able to move the gear in all different gears. No movement. Said tranny is gone. Is that the case?

Answers

• Options
    hollywood_823hollywood_823 Member Posts: 4
    Older escapes had a lot of transmission issues from what I have read on the web as in needing rebuilt.  FYI to others who might read this - When I purchased mine I started doing a drain and fill for the transmission at every other oil change. My 2004 was purchased in the fall of 2009 with 112,000 and now has 186,000 with no issue as far as transmission.
  • Options
    mikek2015mikek2015 Member Posts: 8
    I guess, you need a new tranny, the parts are worn down. The torque converter is not replaceable, no one is going to uninstall this tranny for a torque converter, it is a two day job. Ford escape transmissions go over 30,000 miles to 149,000 miles. Also suggest you to wait for others opinion, may be others can be able to enlighten you more on this issue.
  • Options
    I guess, you need a new tranny, the parts are worn down. The torque converter is not replaceable, no one is going to uninstall this tranny for a torque converter, it is a two day job. Ford escape transmissions go over 30,000 miles to 149,000 miles. Also suggest you to wait for others opinion, may be others can be able to enlighten you more on this issue.
  • Options
  • Options