Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

When car starts, gauges do not move, warning lights stay on, air blows hot, why?

gigi66flgigi66fl Posts: 1
edited June 2015 in Buick
2005 Lecrosse 19k, yes only 19k!! Intermittently when you start it, it does not do the normal start up 'routine'. The gauges do not move, the fuel stays on empty, the warning lights stay on, and the A/C blows hot. It is like you turned the key to ON but did not start it. Then if you turn it off and restart it, it is OK. I just bought this 2 days ago for my daughter's first car and i am afraid that it might leave her on the side of the road!

Answers

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,175
    edited June 2015
    There surely are some other posts out on the internet about this problem having occurred to someone else and I recommend you look for those.

Assuming this operates like the Buicks of similar time period my first guess would be the actual ignition switch (not the key lock cylinder part) that makes contact with several different circuits when in different positions like ACC and ON and CRANK. I would suspect the contact is not clean of corrosion. It also might be the connector for these various circuits where the blades contact other metal. Sometimes these make poor contact and heat. The heating softens the plastic holding the metal blades and the heating burns the contacts on the metal giving poor contact at times.

My second thought would be a module that's defective and not cycling through the proper startup operation. Both of these probably have been experienced by others on the internet.

Good luck.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT