Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Off-Road in a Trailhawk - 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2015 in Jeep
imageOff-Road in a Trailhawk - 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited Long-Term Road Test

My road trip to Moab, Utah in our 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited was designed to get me there in time to drive off-road in a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Read the full story here

Comments

• darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    Great writeup and beautiful, insightful pictures. Thanks.
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    Great pictures. Looks like you've found the conditions where the Cherokee would go somewhere that a Forester couldn't. But you needed a Trailhawk to do it. I think the Forester could match your version of the Cherokee though.
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    I wonder how many times you can do this before spot welds of that uni-body jeep start popping.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    banhugh said:

I wonder how many times you can do this before spot welds of that uni-body jeep start popping.

The original Cherokee was uni-body too, great off road, and did not have problems popping its welds.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    edited June 2015
    banhugh said:

Ever tried to 'pop' a spot weld? I'm restoring a '72 MGB-GT, which involved drilling out about 100 spot welds to remove the old rockers and then new spot welds for the replacement. Even on my 43 year old British car you can't 'pop' the existing welds, the metal tears rather than the spot weld separating. This is true of the spot welds I did for the replacement panels.

• actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    This chassis is ultra-rigid, even more so than past models. You can thank years of ever-increasing safety standards for that. One can open any door with a tire unweighted like this and not experience any sticking. And they close with no hiccups, too.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    Very cool pictures and write up. I would love to do this someday. Give me a manual Wrangler with no doors or roof and watch me make a fool of myself!