Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DTS

Comments

• kcmoverkcmover Member Posts: 36
    Thanks for the advice on what to buy instead of a Caddy. This is my 3rd one and my Father has purchased over 15 of them over the years. It's really sad that a great company like GM just can't do the right things marketing wise.
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Wow! 15 Cadillacs has got to be a record, LOL!

But Cadillacs have been pretty good cars over the years, (except the Cimmaron, Allante, 1st gen Escalade) so I guess brand loyalty happens when the cars are of good quality.

Although what really is sad is that Lincoln is getting whipped in the luxury segment because of their small and incomplete model lineup. :cry:
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    I don't understand why anyone would pay anywhere close to 50k for a new Deville when there are all sorts of one year old or less ones on the resale market with the certified 100k warranty. These will run $25-30 depending on mileage. The greatest depreciation is behind you and you get a far better warranty than either MB or Toyota. The lease returns have the most equipment. Many individuals and businesses lease a Deville and turn it in within a year. These units have 12,000 miles or so on them. The Avalon is a nice car -feels kind of fragile to me and doesn't feel like a full size car when you drive it. MB reliability is not too hot and parts cost a fortune. I'll stick to certified Cadillacs. Neither MB or Toyota will give you any more for your trade than GM will. You need to bite the bullet and sell it privately unless money is of no object.
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    EVERY Cadillac (not just the DeVille) DEPRECIATE in an "unnerving" manner. MOST vehicles do. Americans are mesmerized with their mobility and status. A NEW vehicle satisfies BOTH of these "wants." One can now buy a new DTS (sticker $52K) for about $40K. In a few years it's worth HALF that.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    much redesigned, just how much are they doing to the 2006 DTS compared to 2005, since it is staying FWD???
  • blkcadillacblkcadillac Member Posts: 47
    ALL USA automaker cars depreciate bad because I guess their domestic, however TOYOTAS depreciate horrible in Europe as their as not a popular as in the U.S.
  • vince11vince11 Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone know when the 2006 DTS, will go on sale and what cost will be?
  • vic10vic10 Member Posts: 188
    Forgive me. I come from a European immigrant family where all of the uncles and some of the aunts fought either the Germans or the Japanese during WWII and where, consequently, you didn't dare mention the thought of purchasing a "foreign" car. So it was American cars all the way and Cadillacs, and to a limited extent Lincolns and Imperials, were cars to aspire to. And I loved them, especially the early 1960's.

Forgive me. I like the interior of my car to be, well, like a bordello. Give me a spectacular looking dash (one of my favorites is from the -64-'66 T-birds, but generally speaking, GM lead the pack here in those years. And could one ever forget the glorious deep-dish steering wheel of a '62 Olds? ) not one that looks like something from a steam boiler. And give my seats and door panels tuffs and tucks and pleats and chrome accents. It doesn't mean the seats can't be comfortable too.

Forgive me. But when did we loose our sense of "pretty"? Back in the '50's and '60's we'd look at a tire and say: Butt ugly. So we'd spend 50 bucks and put on a flashy hubcap and a white ring and suddenly it wasn't butt ugly anymore. Then came the '70s and some new advertising whizbang decided that the Europeans had the edge on style (apparently never having seen an early BMW or a Peugeot 404) and they didn't have whitewalls or hubcaps. So we did without the whitewalls until we opened our eyes again and realized that tires are in fact butt ugly. Only now there are no more whitewalls...so we spend 1000 bucks to put on chrome wheels. Are we better off? I still think whitewalls do a better job.

But I'm digressing. Cadillac was always a goal--as was a salary to be able to afford one. Then something happened. My salary was there but the car I aspired to wasn't. I also think Cadillac is missing the mark with this new styling theme. Someone who is looking at a BMW or Mercedes is not going to look at a Cadillac no matter how it looks (nor will he be turned away by a BMW no matter how bad it looks--for example the 700 series with the bustle trunk it now sports). But the new Cadillac look has turned me away from the car of my dreams. I try to like the new STS and CTS but it just looks like a series of incongruous slabs slapped together. Perhaps it's an improvement over the totally bland, taxi-cab look of the 2000 Devilles. But that's not saying much. Chrysler did a much better job with their 300, and Ford with their 500. Almost the same comments apply to the Cadillac's interior. It just looks incongruous and plain jane. The last decent looking Caddy was the 1999...because it looked like a Caddy. You could trace the styling cues back to the glorious ones of the early 60's.

I feel that GM has let me down. It "un-idoled" the car of my dreams. Alas, this is one customer Cadillac has lost.
  • blkcadillacblkcadillac Member Posts: 47
    Production started the end of June, so the DTS will be on sale around mid August. Also you may want to check a large volume dealer they may have one now.
  • veneyveney Member Posts: 1
    Any news on the price for the 2006 Deville.
    Yeah, "boo-coo" buckolas. In other words, with FEW incentives and INSANE sticker prices I'd "pass" on this unit UNTIL GM gives in and offers some meaning full cash rebates. Their much anticipated "value pricing" will prove to be "wish full thinking." They'll be back to the incentives world by mid year 06,' GUARANTEED.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0507/29/A01-262269.htm

The 2006 Cadillac DTS will be priced more than $5,000 lower than its predecessor, the DeVille.

Seems like the discounts are already built into the price...
  • vince11vince11 Member Posts: 11
    Apparently anticipation for the new 2006 DTS, is quite underwhelming. I don't believe I've seen such disinterest for any other new model. Comments?
  • lanzzlanzz Member Posts: 76
    I think the new DTS will do fine - has everything it had before with some more contemporary styling, and new features, which were sorely needed, like xenon headlights and the side curtain air.

Not sure the target market for the Deville/DTS is so big on posting online, however.

I was thinking about it as a replacement for my 2003 M45...

e
  • forzaforza Member Posts: 36
    I'm interested in the DTS and looking forward to a First Drive, however I am more interested in the Buick Lucerne and how it will do, because the Lucerne is an important product for Buick and Buick can't afford to have it flop. The DTS is important for Cadillac, but at least they have other models coming a bright future.
    Buick has no more vehicles coming, just possible a crossover to replace the Rendezvous. It's anyone's guess what will happen to the Rainier.
  • carnutpacarnutpa Member Posts: 42
    I find it pretty disappointing that the Cadillac website has so little info on the new DTS. I asked them to send me a brochure and they sent a mini-brochure that had color drawings of the car...not even actual pictures. No specs at all, no color options, nothing but a few drawings. The Edmunds website has a lot more info on this car than even the Cadillac website.
  • lanzzlanzz Member Posts: 76
    I agree - very little info on the site, and nothing updated in weeks. I know the big dealers have them already, but I cannot find a dealer in metro NY that wants to talk about anything other than unloading the rest of the '05s.

If you live near Dallas, I know Sewell Cadillac had one outside two weeks back - I did not have time to stop, but it looked very nice from a distance.
    the DTS a sporty luxury car, it is still marketed mostly to quasi-elderly folks, even tho it is a sleeper for younger folks who want room and luxury with power...if that is so, then I would bet those folks are not sitting and posting to edmunds, they probably are still trying to program the microwave their kids gave them 5 years ago for Xmas... :shades: :shades: :shades:
    GM is doing this across the board. I asked for a CTS brochure and got the sort of crap that they pass out at an auto show. I drove down to the dealer and got a full brochure. Chevy does the same thing. If you want a decent brochure, see the dealer. If the brochure hasn't been printed, wait. Contacting GM for a brochure is a waste of time.
    If you go to an auto show and want to get some multipage dealer brochures, go to a show in a small city. The local auto shows - like Lubbock, TX are put on by dealers, not a show organizer, and the brochures available are the same ones you can get at a dealer. The big shows - Chicago, Detroit, etc have smaller brochures specifically designed for passing out at a car show.
    I've seen the Luxury 1 version as well as the performance selection. BIG difference in stickers but I would NOT bet against this car. The higher end model (18" tires) looks very nifty/sporty/muscular. Even the Luxury 1 version looks good.
  • jb7227jb7227 Member Posts: 86
    Just drove the new DTS (Luxury II) at my local dealers today. First impressions:
    Much better exterior fit and finish (although I wish they would finally get rid of those door handles) - but like the Escalade, Caddy is now putting dinner-plate size wreath & crests on front and back. I understand that you can order from the factory a hood ornament, although I'm not sure if it deletes the front grille wreath. Interior is night and day compared to 2000-2005 DeVille - it now has the quality of a Lexus, but still looks recognizable as a Caddy and very classy - especially the A/C controls and the new analog clock in the upper center of the dash - both surrounded by chrome trim. Interior is as roomy as before, but upholstery much higher quality, still with that leather smell that only a Cadillac has. The only real disappointment was with the exhaust/engine noise, both at idle and under acceleration. My last Northstar (2000 STS) idled like glass, and was very smooth and quiet under full throttle. This one seems to only be quiet when your foot is off the gas. Hopefully, this was a problem related to this particular car. It's just that the salesman made such a big deal about how Cadillac put more insulation, laminated glass, etc. into the DTS to make it quieter! Ride feels a tad bit firmer, though still a Caddy. Overall, I would give it an A-. And Cadillac - can you give us some new colors??? I remember 20 years ago, when the Cadillac color brochure listed something like 15 colors, firemist paints, etc. Now, the colors look like every other GM car.
    Well written critique of what appears to be a "winner" for Cadillac. Who in their right mind would pay $50K+ for a "glorified" CTS, STS, when one can get some actual value for their money via the DTS? Regarding the statement from the salesperson regarding insulation and what not, is this an actual "representative" for Cadillac or just another salesmen who really couldn't give a rats [non-permissible content removed] what the vehicle is made of?
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    looks like Cadillacs best interrior, the wood and leather are all where they are supposed to be.

I am warming up the the new grille, looks like its chrome this time around. Thats good beacuse i don't understand how a 50-60K car (STS) can come with a plastic grille.

They could have made the DTS front end look better though, it seems that the grille is a bit oversized but I have not yet seen one in person (only pass by).

Its odd that the new DTS is louder than the old one, meybe on the higher trims its quieter. Seems like a very good car from the inside though.
  • jb7227jb7227 Member Posts: 86
    Statements re noise levels/insulation were from Caddy salesman at my local dealer. Went by again today to look it over...looks great in Blue Chip w/Shale (the one I drove). Rear end treatment is great - seems like its getting closer to the traditional Caddy styling of the vertical tailamps and chrome trim, yet somehow modern and clean. Regarding plastic vs. metal grille, I'm not sure if its metal or not, but it sure looks substantial. Very cool indicator lights on top of dash for front parking assist. Also picked up the full brochure from the dealer - lots of technical drawings, not too many pictures of the cars. The color chart in the back of the brochure is difficult to read - it consists of thin vertical strips (exterior) with the interior colors in thin horizontal strips going across the page. It doesnt mention which interior colors are available with which exterior. Also very neat - 3 types of leather available for 2006: regular Nuance leather, Tuscany leather (first available on the STS) or new Tehama leather. Again, no info in brochure as to the optional hood ornament replacing the grille wreath. For anyone who wants the hood ornament, just beware that the same salesman said the dealership could put one on for around $225-250 - but Cadillac doesnt charge anything if you order the car with it.
    I am looking forward to finally seeing this car in person and I'm glad to hear that the full brochures are out. As far as the hood ornament, my experience is that people rip them off the hood in parking lots and they are expensive to replace. I think thats probably why they started to put them in the grill instead. Regarding the chrome / painted grill, the cadillac website indicates that the chrome grill is standard but you can get the grill painted to match the car for additional $$$. Personally, I like the chrome grill better.
    the Deville DTS/now just DTS, the looks, the room...I do not know of any other car that can come with midnight blue leather, which ranks up there with deep charcoal gray...never owned one, though...I have always found GM air conditioners seriously strain and underperform when the temp breaks 90...had a 98 Regal and test drove 3 Tahoe/Trailblazer in July 04, and not one of them had cold air coming from the vents after 5-7 minutes...only served to confirm my diosgust with my 98 Regal that could never cool the front seats in the summer...other posters have said their GM AC could freeze meat in their cars, but I have the opposite experience...

That is one reason I have avoided used Caddys (could never afford new, but a $52K new Caddy is $25-30K after 1-2 years...they depreciate like rocks falling from the sky)...I am scared to death that the AC, probably the same used on the cheapest Chevy, just will not work...probably just paranoia on my part, but I want to be cool in the Georgia summers, and Ford and Dodge AC compressors do the job for me...

But that midnight blue leather, almost 300 HP, reg fuel, 25+ mpg highway, super lumbar support :D:D

Which exterior colors are paired with the midnight blue interior??? :confuse: :confuse:
    I have a 2002 DeVille DTS and have never had an issue with the AC. It cools on 95+ days. I also spend a lot of time in south Florida (kinda the Cadillac capital of the world) where there are Caddys all over the place. Why would people buy them if the AC didn't cool?
    I would love to hear some more comments.
    I agree with your statement...which is why I was so disappointed when I tried the Trailblazer and Tahoe...only hot air came out of the vents, which was worse than my Regal, which could not cool the car on a hot day...it realy disgusted me when they said the Ac was working properly, because, if it was, the car would be cool...I can't explain it, I can only relate my experience, and it has not been good with GM's AC...
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    FYI, there is a TSB about slow cooling on the Trailblazer/Envoy... the fix is a new fan/clutch (the old one turned too slow, causing the A/C compressor to cycle on and off). I had this experience on my wife's '04 Envoy and it now works as well as any other GM car I've ever had...

Another thing to bear in mind is that a vehicle's A/C performs best when set to recirculate mode...

--Robert
  • jhavignjhavign Member Posts: 20
    I saw an 06 DTS on the highway the other day. Black, tail lights looked great, so did the grille.
    Still does NOT have the system set up to allow one to view the various dealers inventory of the DTS model. You mean to tell me some "geek" couldn't get this up and running in a matter of days? GM, "top heavy" in Generals, with NO soldiers to speak of.
    Just for the record, we used both fresh and recirc and the air came out hot...not lukewarm, not cool, but hot...multiple cars...that is whay I shy away from GM, even tho the thought of a DTS has me drooling... ;);)
  • roady1roady1 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 05 Deville with the midnight blue interior. The exterior color is Blue Ice. It has different looks, depending on the light - bright sun, shade, night, etc. It can look light blue, silver, or light lavender. Cool color! I'm sure you can get the midnight blue with white, and maybe silver or other shades of blue. The A/C works great. I have made 2 long trips this summer ---- 90+ temps.
    It will freeze you out if you want it to. Also , the tri-zone temp. controls are great for people who want a different temp. and back seat can have own blower speeds. I bought this car new because of the GM EMP. Discount + 5000 rebate. It was 46, 860 window sticker. Bought for 36,616 + Tax. They also have some very nice certified used with 100K/6year WAR. With this WAR. , I don't think you can go wrong.
  • vic10vic10 Member Posts: 188
    Saw my first '06 this AM. Silver. Looked a LOT better than the STS but still is not a style I find appealing. Stodgy is the word I would use. From the A-pillars back, it reminded me a lot of the '87 Lincoln Continental, minus the "continental" bulge in the trunk. Looks like I'll keep my 300C at least until the RWD DTS shows its face.....
  • minnguy34minnguy34 Member Posts: 11
    In response to the question from Marsha7.
    Accordng to the gmfleet.com web site. The DTS midnight blue interior is only available with the 6 passenger Front, 40/20/40 Split Bench seat and not with the bucket seats. Available exterior colors with a midnight blue interior are : Blue Chip, Black Raven, Light Platinum, Blue Ice, Glacier White (extra cost color) and White Lightning (extra cost color).
  • kcmoverkcmover Member Posts: 36
    Nothing posted on the what you paid side of this board. My Father is looking to Buy a DTS ll package. Any ideas on the Cash pricing now that the Family plan is expired. How can one find out what the new GM incentives will be on this vehicle and when they take effect. He is looking to buy in the next 10 days.

Thanks
    I'd wait a bit longer, say till the end of the year to buy it, incentives might come then.

Of course you could always get a 2005 Deville for a low price now.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    I will consider one, if a DVD 5.1 surround sound is offered or is going to be eventually offered......I was upset when the 15 speaker bose didn't get throwin in, or atleast some other equivalent :cry: ->Rocky
  • mraccountantmraccountant Member Posts: 5
    Just orderd a Perforance Package DTS with navigation, chrome wheels and color coded grill. I had a 2000 and really like the matching grill instead of the chrome grill. The price quoted to me is $500 over dealer invoice which will come out to around $50,500 plus sales tax and license. I got it in Raven Black with the shale interior. I am in the Los Angeles area.
    What was the sticker price? I'd like to get an idea of how much these are being discounted since Cadillac reduced the prices for 2006.
  • mraccountantmraccountant Member Posts: 5
    The MSRP was $53,180 and the sticker was $48,996. The total price of around $50,500 includes $500 over invoice plus, I believe, the gas guzzler tax. Therefore the difference between MSRP and invoice is around $4,184.
  • rswallowrswallow Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 Cadillac DTS has a Ignition problem. After driving and turning the key off. On occasion I will turn key on to start and get nothing. no cranking. The power is all on and OK. It is not a Battery problem. After I wait for 2 to three minutes it sometimes will start. At times I have to wait longer. Its almost like it gets hot and cools down and then it starts. Is anybody familiar with this problem?
    You're posting in the wrong forum.

The 2006 DTS is a totally different car. The car you have is a Deville DTS, so post your message in the Cadillac Deville forum.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I actually goofed and moved this to the wrong discussion. The Cadillac DeVille discussion is, in fact, the correct one.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I have seen a few 2006 DTS's and I have been looking at the center console. I like the full (dash to floor) console with no gap or separation. I have seen some with a space between the dash area and the floor area...kind of like the older 6 passenger but a person could not sit there, the space is too small. Anyway, I thought at first that only the Performance trim had the full console because the dealer near me has several DTS's and only the Performance trim has the full console. The Luxury I, II, III all had a gap in the console. However, I have seen 2 DTS's posted by dealers on Ebay, both say they are the Luxury II and both show pictures with the full console. The Cadillac website doesn't show anywhere where there is a choice on this. Does anyone know what the story is with these consoles?
  • scott1scott1 Member Posts: 50
    I took a test drive in a new DTS and I was impressed. I didn't care for the exterior or interior styling of the 2000 - 2005 Devilles, but I really like what they have done with the 06 DTS. The front and rear look like a Cadillac again, and the interior is first rate.

I drove a blue chip luxury III version, and that real wood trim in the interior was very nicely done. The leather seats were very comfortable and soft, and they finally have interior lighting and styling that have a bit of pizazz to them.

I was also impressed by how it drove...the sound isolation has been markedly improved over the old Deville. There is a quiet refined hush while driveing. No squeeks, creeks or rattles in the one I drove either.

I owned an 04 CTS from 3/04 until I traded it in on an 04 Lexus GX470 in 10/01/04, and the DTS would be my choice over the CTS real easily
    I am having mild difficulty figuring out the differences between Luxury I, II, III, and you add the performance package, which sound like the package I would actually like to have...how does one differentiate???...it was easier before, when all you had was Deville, DTS and DHS, it was the DTS that had floor shifter and performance package...help... :confuse: :confuse:
  • xlrxlr Member Posts: 1
    What dealer in LA was $500 over on new DTS?