Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Verona

Comments

• russm3russm3 Member Posts: 44
    The board must be slowing up a bit.Well we put some miles on this past weekend and I took the car on the highway. We now have 2000 miles the car is very smooth and a lot quicker than it was new. On the highway its very stable no blowing around form the big trucks. You have to watch your speed you have a tendancy to go faster than what you think you are going. I hope you are having as much fun as we are in your verona.
  • lil302000lil302000 Member Posts: 149
    14,000 and no troubles. I have to admit I am impressed by the fact that there are no noises such as rattles when you hit bumps. We are going to be driving from OH to NC in a couple of weeks I will let you know how the trip was when we get back.
    I took the HVAC filter out to check it. It's pretty easy to do. The process worked just like the book said it would. It was in pretty good shape, I just hit it a little with my air compressor and put it back in.
    glade to see your suzuki is just fine I did not no if you r to repace filter or just clean it
    calls for it at 15,000 miles, but from the looks of the filter I think it will go another 15. We don't travel in dusty conditions and with all the rain the farmers are not kicking up alot of dust as well. I can see were these filters could cause an air conditioning problem if not kept up with. If you restrict the flow of air I could see were your air conditioning can freeze up. I am not total sure but it does happen with home HVAC filters though.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    I just wanted to let you know that a reliable source has told me that the 2005 Verona is getting standard side-impact airbags to coincide with it's fellow GMDAT products, the Reno and Forenza wagon - which have been confirmed on the Suzuki Auto website to receive them. :-)
    Took my verona across the pa turnpike last week man what a nice ride. No problem doing 80 and handling like it stuck to the pavement no engine roar. Steering was great you can keep your speed in a corner with no problems. All I can say is this car rides and handles great
  • pizardpizard Member Posts: 45
    I have had my Verona EX with spoiler now for about 3 weeks and I love it, however, the sunroof is so noisy. I have to keep the sunshade closed to mask some of the noise. Anyone else have noise issues with their sunroof? Otherwise, it runs great, I can definitely tell an increase in speed and it is so smooth otherwise. I do have a small air leak in the driver door but I am afraid to take it in in case they screw it up even more. That happened with my van, took it in because the door was sticking to the weatherstripping and ever since then it has whistled on the freeway if it was windy. :)

Pizard
  • motorcitymotorcity Member Posts: 8
    My sunroof isn't noisy when closed, with creaks and groins like my previous BMW- 3. But I would like some feedback on the tinted plexiglas air foil they sell to reduce wind buffing when roof is open. The dealer I visit is asking 59.99 for a Suzuki brand, are their cheaper aftermarket brands that fit as well, and how do they perform. My Verona has over 8000 miles, peppy as ever,smooth as silk,and i'm lovin it. Also must the air foils be removed if you go though a car wash, is it eazy to remove, can a theif eazily seal it. Thanks for any input you give.
  • veronaownerveronaowner Member Posts: 88
    I have the EX with the sunroof also and I purchased a generic wind deflector from Auto Zone and it works well. I measured the width of the opening and got one to fit the width. I think it cost approximately $30.00 + tax. I get some noise with the window open, but more noise when I have the window in the flipped up position.
    Forgot something. I cannot answer about the car wash. The one I have is affixed to the car top with an adhesive strip. To remove it would prevent it being reaffixed without a new adhesive strip I think.
  • rasuprasup Member Posts: 136
    Veronaowner/Pizzard/Other forum members..
    Hello everyone!!!How's the Verona doing in summer?. Mines 2500+ miles and I love its ride. I love the Vroom sound while I get on the highways. So far the Car's doing great. What do you guys add for the oil?. Do any recent buyers have changes in the user manual?. As I stated in my earlier posts, the user manual states not to add 10W30 UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!But add 5W30. If 5W30 is not available Add 10W40.
    I heard from Pizzard that his user manual states that 10W30 can be added. Pizzard can you verify that this is what the user manual says...and not the PIT STOP manual. There is an conflict between both these manuals.Has any one heard from suzuki?. Please email them in large numbers so that this can be clarified. The email address is suzukiadmin@cdcTechnologies.com
    Do follow up please.
    Thanks and have a nice summer Guys!!!
    Hi,
    Just to inform you all that the tech consultant to suzuki has confirmed a discrepancy in the oil recomends in the user manual and the workshop manuals. They informed me that Suzuki Auto is being contacted for clarification. The following is what they say :

" Please follow the information provided on 5-8 and 5-9 of your vehicle Owner's Manual.

The specification in the Service Manual (10W-30) (as listed below) appears to be the point of conflict and I will submit your question to Suzuki for clarification.

However in the absence of Suzuki's feedback, please follow the information in the Owner's Manual on pages 5-8 and 5-9.

Regarding your question on synthetics - please simply follow the SAE standard communicated on page 5-8 of the Owner's Manual...under the heading "what kind of engine oil to use". "

Hope this helps. I think this means that till clarification 10W30 may not be added.

Forum members may comment please.
    I received a call from the Suzuki dealer where I purchased my Verona and the service advisor/manager stated he was informed by Suzuki that the oil requirements in the owners manual
    stating to use 5W-30 is correct and should be followed. His words were "For whatever reason the engine in the Verona is different and requires the 5W-30 oil.
    I hope Suzuki will publish some information on this subject as I wonder how many dealers and oil change places are using the 5W-30 as recommended
    by the owners manual.
    I have been talking to a Suzuki rep and the dealer about this subject for a couple months now. Hopefully this is the final answer as my dealer ask me to come in today and they will exchange the oil as they now have the 5W-30 oil in stock. (they used 10W-30 on my oil changes)
    Also I might add this engine takes 6. something
    qts of oil. I also think they put the standard 5qts of oil last time.
    Here again, I think everyone should read the servicce requirements as stated in the owners manual and if the dealer is not holding to those standards bring it to their attention for corrective action.
    Is one wants more information that I may have,
    please ask.
    Ken
    Ken,
    Thanks for the input. Verona takesin 7.4 quarts (7 Liters). I had to mention this to the dealer last time who also thought that 5 quarts were Ok. He added 7 quarts and didnt charge extra. He didnt have 5W30 but added 10W40.
    I wonder if it works out if you get the oil yourself and ask the dealer to do it?.
    I went to the dealer this afternoon and they removed the filter and the 10W-30 oil and installed a new filter and the proper amount of oil (my owners book says 6.8 quarts)at their expense. I will keep the paper work where they changed the oil before just in case anything happens. I am glad I finally got the dealer service manager to get answers for the oil questions. I also talked to the salesperson that sold me the car and informed him as he did not know about the oil either. Sometimes I think it still reverts back to "let the buyer beware", altough the service manager was receptive to the oil questions and was willing to research it for me and did call me to let me know that I was right to pursue the issue. Again, maybe Suzuki will publish something on the oil issue. I wish they would contact all dealers and buyers, as that would be the proper thing to do I think.
    Enjoy your Verona, I do.
    Ken
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    I think the only reason car dealers still use 10W-30 is probably because it costs them less. All the cars I have owned since 1990 required 5W-30 oil (Including my 2 Daewoos). That is why I change my own oil, since I do not trust car shops. They could tell you that they used 5W-30, but how would you know if they did or not?
    I attribute the fact that my cars have always peformed very reliably to the fact that I do not let other mechanics touch them. Especially when it comes to fluid changes on the engine, transmission and radiator.
    I also think the dealer and oil change places use
    the bulk (55 gal drum) oil for oil changes as that will bring them the most profit. Most of them aslo use a generic filter that is less costly. There is no way to know which oil is used, only their word that they used what one asked for. I am told at the dealer that the filter is a special filter cost more. Then, there
    is the oil disposal fee, shop fee and it seems they never end. I do not know what the dealer will charge for the 5W-30 oil and filter as I was
    only told it would cost more because of the 5W-30 verses the 10W-30.
    Also I had a little trip this week (first time)
    a little over 400 miles and I got 23.4 mpg. I only have about 2300 miles on the Verona.
    The speed I was driving, just to keep up with traffic, was 75-85 mph most of the time and the other speed was about 45-60 mph. I find the Verona will run with the "Big Dawgs." I am very satisfied with the performance of the car, but would like a little better mpg.
    I like the audio controls on the steering wheel,
    but would like the cruise control to be quicker to respond to setting and changes. I keep my foot on the accelerator until I feel the cruise take over. Just a minor nuisance I can put up with.
    Ken
    Your right about the audio controls there great I have a teenager when she tries to crank it guess what. I have 3500 on mine now And maybe its just me but the car is really coming in to its own. I don't think you can go wrong on this car. Dollar for dollar not to shabby.
    We just returned form the Outer Banks. The five of us three teenagers and two adults, the trunk loaded with six gym bags, two folding lounge chairs, one folding chair, two camera bags, two surf rods, one beach umbrella, five beach towels, six bath towels, and two bed pillows. The drive was 13 hours one way and the car got 25 miles to the gallon through the mountains in Virginia. The fishing rod and reels were eight foot two piece rods with large surf reels on them. We had no problems with the car and it handled the mountains well. I can't say the same for myself I fell about ten feet from some rocks into the ocean fishing at Oregon inlet cracked a rib and got 45 stitches in my arm and face. It was a bloody mess, but I did it on Monday and I was fishing again on Wednesday. 17000 miles and all is going well. From Ohio to Nags Head loaded to the gills, we love our Verona. I have to clean the car now, talk to you all later.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Ouch!! Sorry to hear about your fall, but I'm glad you were able to resume fishing. Bummer, though.

I know those mountains - that's very decent mileage under the circumstances.
    car is by far the most noticeable break in car I have ever had. I have only bought three brand new cars and this one really changes at about the 3,500 mile point. There is real gas mileage improvement, transmission improvement, and engine performance. I can only hope that it stands the test of time because I keep my cars at least ten years. The fall was a bummer, but it could have been allot worse. My father and brother in law could not believe I climbed back up out of the rocks, and we still managed to catch 25 legal sized or better flounder before returning to Ohio. Thanks Pat and take care see on the boards.
    Hope you are recovering well and no permanent injury.
    Sounds like you had a load in the Verona and it performed very well. Looking for some changes in mine also, maybe at the 2500 or 3000 mileage. I have about 2250 now. Mostly city miles.
    Still lovin that Verona.
    Ken
    Hope you're feeling well!
    you all, I am doing good. I am kind of concerned about the key fob. The salt water caused my keys to rust the same day I fell in. It trashed the inside works of my reel. The fob seems to be working ok for now though so I guess time will tell. When it comes to oil with this car I would have to lean on the 5W30 side as well. This car is kind of strange when it comes to oil it holds allot for a small six 7.4 quarts. It sounds to me like it plays a larger part in engine cooling than normal. Just a thought that could maybe drive a thinner viscosity. I don't know just a thought.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Wow, that is a large oil capacity for a small engine. My 3.5 V6 takes 4.5 quarts if I remember correctly and my 2.7 V6 takes 4.2. I wonder if the inline design requires more oil since the engine is much longer. With that much oil, I'd be tempted to let it go 5k between oil changes.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Im glad youre alright, though Im sorry that you had that experience. Good to hear that the Verona is holding up well, too!

I hear side airbags/curtains will be available for 2005. That solves one of my biggest issues with this decent car. Can anyone confirm any other changes?

~alpha
    alpha, Hope all is well for you. I am glad to see side airbags on Verona as well. I would think they would find a way to increase the pony power a bit as well. I would like to see them sick with the in-line 6 and keep the body style changes simple as well. I think at least IMO that less qwarky body styles in this segment will stand the test of time more so than radical body styles. But I have always had simplistic taste, such as I never liked the bird on the hood of firebirds I always liked just one color and low profile deck fins. I sure could have used side airbags for that fall. :)
    Yup, side airbags (covering the head and torso) will be available for the 05 Verona. I have to say I doubt that there will be a power increase for the 05 Verona because rumore has it that GMDAT is working on the next Magnus or a successor to it.
  • oilgirloilgirl Member Posts: 1
    I'm not yet a Verona owner, but I'm taking a good hard look at them. Does anyone have any long-term experience, say, over 50k miles with one? I just had a wreck in my Explorer which was running strong at 150k, but I'd rather not spend that kind of money (or get that poor of gas mileage) on a vehicle again. Also, I'll do some research pertaining to the 5w-30 or 10w-30 issue. As a lubricant rep for a major oil company I know that the "W" refers to the amount of viscosity improvers added to the oil for "Winter" performance. At 20 degrees f. a 5W with a 5 viscosity rating at start up, but the 30 in both cases is viscosity at operational temperatures. During the summer I don't think it makes much difference, but I'll check with our technical reps...hope that helps someone.
  • mm9351mm9351 Member Posts: 72
    Ok everyone, let's get the oil capacity correct! Suzuki just posted a technical bulletin TSB0306234 this month which states that the correct oil pan capacity including oil filter is 6.8 quarts, NOT 7.4 quarts. Also, SAE 5W-30 is the recommended oil for the RP625 engine. SAE 10W-40 is the ONLY acceptable substitute. Do not let your dealer overfill the engine, give him the TSB number and make sure you get 6.8 qts. of the 5-30 oil. Remember, the RP625 engine was designed by Porsche so there's more hp waiting in the wings...check out Ebay performance upgrade kits...no reason why this engine isn't capable of near 200 hp with minor mods ...probably see this on 2006 models.

PS I have 1200 miles on my EX and the posts are true...it gets stronger everyday. Good luck to all!
    should drive a recall for the dip stick. Because if 6.8 is it's true capacity than the dip stick is going to tell you it's low on oil. Man that is a critical error on the part of Suzuki. Over fill is worse than being a little low on oil.
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    My father has been looking at the Verona for his next vehicle. While at the local Suzuki dealer, they told him that Suzuki has come out with a new computer upgrade for the car which they claim really is a noticable improvement.

Has anyone heard of this and is it true?

We plan to stop back and drive an updated car.

Also, what if any problems have there been with your Veronas?

Thanks
    Thanks for the info on a few more horses but what will this do to your warranty? Oil girl hope you look hard at the verona. Nice car but I'm waiting for things to get done under warranty for suzuki.
    Suzuki is sending reps out to see if qualifies to be repaired the way I take it. So go over the car good take your time. If they try to rush you ask them to fix everything before you sign any papers! Suzuki is taking their good old time about fixing them. Thats a shame this for this is a nice car.
    My owners manual states 6.8 qts of OIL and I got word through the service manager from where I purchased the Verona EX from Suzuki that the only oil to use is 5W-30. A local friend researched oil on the internet and one major oil company posted that the thinner oil, ex: 5W-30, was to give better MPG. He does not own a Suzuki.
    My Granddaughter bought a Mazda3 and it recommends 5W-20 oil. She is also going to the Mazda dealer for oil changes as they give a discount. (under $10.00 for oil, filter and labor.) Oilgirl, please post your findings on this board. I have a little over 2300 miles now on the Verona and got 23 MPG over all on a 400 mile trip a couple weeks ago (see earlier post 06/11 or #752.)
    Hoping all goes well with my Verona as I'm still loving it.
    Ken
    Does anyone have specifics on this? I just found it listed on the Suzuki Pit Stop site.
    Verona01 04304R 4/30/2004
    Ken
  • mopar67mopar67 Member Posts: 728
    If you folks want to add life to the engine in the Verona, or any vehicle, you will do well to switch to a synthetic oil. I have in my vitara and never looked back. It starts easier, runs quieter, and I get a tad more MPG.
    Synthetic does not cook like dino oil at high temps but just as importantly, it flows much much better at low temps than dino oil. This is especially important for OHC rigs where you have two high cams sitting in aluminum heads. Oil needs to get there ASAP.
    Yes, synthetic is more expensive. However, I have a friend with a 94 tracker that has seen more abuse than you can imagine. That little motor has had 2 timing belts. Thats all. Nothing else has been done. It runs quietly. Burns no oil. None. Still has compression within 10% of OEM specs.

The mileage?
    I like synthetic as well. The book calls for long oil change intervals, longer than I like I am a 3,000 mile guy. It is correct that the book also states a 6.8 quart oil capacity, but my car in real life takes 7.1 with the Daewoo filter and 7.4 with an STP filter. At any rate it is still allot of oil and I think that keeping the engine cool is a driving factor for the thinner oil and extra capacity. I know allot people think 3,000 mile changes are excessive but it has served me well as most of my cars are kept for at least ten years and all have been smoke free.
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    How do you like your car, what do you dislike, what kind of city and highway mileage are you getting? Any news on what may be changed for 2005?
    I like the way it handles, rather nimble, I think.
    I like the bells and whistles for the cost of the EX Verona. I get about 18+ city and 23+ highway, both w/AC,(like the auto temp control AC) but then I only have about 2400 miles on the Verona. I also think it has a very good ride and nice looks/lines. My first time to purchase a first series new auto. We have had it since Oct '03 and admitting it is the wife's car as it stays in the garage about 5 days a week. She enjoys driving it more that a Chrysler Concorde which was the family car before the Verona. I think it is great value for the money. That is my opinion.
    JW, has anyone added any performance parts to their Verona yet? Maybe a performance chip, air intake, new exhaust, etc... Here in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area, there's a dealer called Empire Suzuki which specializes in tuning Suzukis. They have commercials on TV and in the background they have a black Verona with performance parts and the "S" logo on the yellow/black leather seats and they also have a Forenza and XL7 exactly the same. Please respond!

:-D
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    Veronaowner, the Verona is not really a first series new auto. This car has been in production since model year 2000. The inline six was also designed and tested before model year 2000. The only problem was that daewoo ran out of money before it good launch this model in markets outside Korea. So you should feel pretty comfortable that this car got enough testing before it made it to America.
    As I posted earlier, the sunroof is noisy. So noisy I have to keep the cover closed to hide some of the noise. My Kia Sedona sunroof used to be like that until they replaced it because of a leak then it was much quieter. I wonder if mine needs some adjustments or replacement. I guess I will try one of the deflectors if people think it will help.

My Verona was going through a spell where it got weaker in power but seems to be picking up again. I probably have around 2500 to 3000 miles on it. I can definitely tell a big difference in the power with the a/c on, much more sluggish than without the a/c.
    I'll start with the Cons, Key fob if your not careful you will be driving with the trunk lid open. The engine could use some more power (but it is enough for a family sedan). On occasion it will give you a cold start buck. Check engine light will come on if you don't tighten the gas cap (this condition will not occur if you make sure the cap is good and tight). Cruise control will drop a couple MPH when set (if you bump the ACCL up once after setting it will resume normal speed). No side air bags. Now the Pros, very smooth and quiet engine. May be the most comfortable ride in the class IMO. Very good fit and finish. Understated but nice styling should stand the test of time. Base loaded with nice options for the price. No squeaks or rattles very solid feel. Nicely done wood accents, not overdone and good looking material used. Comfortable seats and nice material used on them. Strong warranty, and the best of all so far 17,000 miles and no problems. This car is not perfect but it is a good value for the price.
    Is anyone else annoyed that the CD player will not pick up where left off if you turn off the car? It's not a big deal if you are listening to music but if you are listening to a book on CD then you have to listen to the parts you already heard all over again and if you go short distances, you can be listening to the same section several times, boy this is annoying. I started using books on cassette just so that I could avoid this problem but books on cassette are going the way of music cassettes.

Argh! :)
    I can see that being a problem with book CDs. I do kind of like it for music though. I have read the manual but I don't recall if the player has a fast forward jog. Just a thought maybe one of those walkmen type players with a cassette adapter will work for your book CDs. They can be a bit cumbersome, but if they work for something you enjoy they could be worth the investigation.
  • w0bymagnusw0bymagnus Member Posts: 19
    I just wanted to mention one thing about the Verona...for a $16,000 car....it has a very quiet and smooth ride compared to a lot of cars.
  • evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    Actually, it is my wife's car but I love it anyway. We moved from Portland, Ore., to Bend in May and have driven over the Cascades about 6 or 7 times since the move. We average better than 28 MPG on these trips cruising between 65 and 75 MPH. Our overall MPG these last two months is 26.8. I am not complaining one bit. We have over 10,000 miles on the car and not one problem. No squeaks or rattles yet either. This car is quiet and smooth. I do wish there was a bit more lower back support for long trips but that is probably just the way I am built. Since I don't drive it as much as my wife I don't pay a lot of attention to some things but it does appear that the gas gauge is not very linear. For example, it seems to drop rapidly to the 1/2 mark then sit there forever. I have even noticed a couple times when it has dropped down to the 1/4 mark for awhile and then creep back upwards an eighth or so. I know hills can sometimes cause this sort of thing but I haven't noticed this phenomenon in other vehicles. Anyone have any similar experience?
  • mm9351mm9351 Member Posts: 72
    The TSB refers to Emissions Recall Campaign "KC" which is specifically for cars sold in NY, Mass, CA, VT, and Maine. It addresses two issues: the MIL light might NOT come on when it should (for a valid cause) and also to address rough idle on a cold engine. I live in NY and just had the KC update (they replaced the ECM with new programming logic) and the difference was much improved performance. If you live in the above states I recommend you ask for the KC. Suzuki won't automatically do the work unless your VIN falls in the range, but even if you're outside the range or the above states, they WILL replace the ECM if you request it. Suzuki is offering the free update to maintain positive customer satisfaction.
    mm we are in Ohio but I will check into the ECM. We have had the car a year in September and we love it. The occasional buck didn't really bother me though I just let it run for a few seconds and it was fine. I have been reading of allot of interior rattles from the competitors, not the case with this pup though.