Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Six Months Later, Still Want One - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2015 in Volkswagen
imageSix Months Later, Still Want One - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Our 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI is a car that can pull on your heart strings. But you don't need an expensive one to make it happen.

Read the full story here

Comments

• fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Expensive compared to a Mazda3 GT that it's not competing with, that is. That's like saying a Mustang GT is expensive compared to a six-cylinder Camaro...well, yeah - duh.
  • defyant15defyant15 Member Posts: 74
    I have mixed feelings about the GTI - the auto press LOVE ém, and (like the 911) I just find them boring. I've really tried to like them, but for the killer is the understeer, most pronounced in auto-x, where every GTI just plows into corners and feels nose heavy. This is accompanied by the ESP kicking in and slowing things down.

The new one is supposed to allow ESP to be switched off and drive better - but every GTI till the last gen made me yawn. I am also suspect of the long term reliability of VW's products.

However, the interior and overall packaging is beyond excellent.

OTOH, I have driven the Fiesta ST (not a competitor) which is INSANEY fun ( terrible interior though) and the new ST, which is a nice balance of fun and driving dynamics. I think the Focus RS will be quite a competitor to the GTI, Golf R, for those who can get past the body kit and ricer looks (I could). I'd pick the ST or (Without driving it) the RS.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    I'm sure the VW lines are amazing cars to LEASE, especially if you have a convenient VW dealer nearby. I couldn't imagine having it as a family hauler where having it in the shop is a big deal - that'd get old pretty quick.

I'm sure the VW lines are amazing cars to LEASE, especially if you have a convenient VW dealer nearby. I couldn't imagine having it as a family hauler where having it in the shop is a big deal - that'd get old pretty quick.

This is the sixth LT VW Edmunds has had since 2010...show me any post telling about any one of them immobilized in the shop.
  • pinhead_907pinhead_907 Member Posts: 8
    fordson1 said:

This is the sixth LT VW Edmunds has had since 2010...show me any post telling about any one of them immobilized in the shop.
    Well, Edmunds tests a car for 20k miles - which is very short term, even for a lease. I can tell you for sure that the last VW that I owned left me stranded on the roadside and walking multiple times. At least 3 by my count. To be fair, I still like 'em, though, and might even consider another one someday. But probably not until my kids are a bit older.
  • subytrojansubytrojan Member Posts: 120
    edited June 2015
    I want a Pure White 4-door Mk VII GTI S with Performance Package, Lighting Package and cloth seats. Looks like I can't get adaptive dampers on the S trim. Boo. I would have to move up to the SE trim and get stuck with leather-trimmed seats to get the DCC Dynamic Chassis Control Package. Lame. I want cloth with everything!

After I'm done with my ND company car lease, I will probably lease a Mazda3 s Grand Touring 6MT hatchback if the Mazdaspeed3 is not out by then.

I want a Pure White 4-door Mk VII GTI S with Performance Package, Lighting Package and cloth seats. Looks like I can't get adaptive dampers on the S trim. Boo. I would have to move up to the SE trim and get stuck with leather-trimmed seats to get the DCC Dynamic Chassis Control Package. Lame. I want cloth with everything!

After I'm done with my ND company car lease, I will probably lease a Mazda3 s Grand Touring 6MT hatchback if the Mazdaspeed3 is not out by then.

Um, you realize that at the GT trim level Mazda is going to stick you with leather, too, right - ? The restrictions that VW imposes insofar as option packages are pretty much the same as most other mfg. in this price range.
    True, @fordson1. But at least I get my company car for free.

My ND order is for a Club 6MT - black cloth, LED headlights (standard on all trims), Bilsteins, summer tires. It's going to be great!

A 2016 Mazda6 i Touring with Technology Package has LED headlights with leatherette. It can't be had with a manual transmission, though. A Mazda6 i Grand Touring in Canada can be had with a manual transmission!

True, @fordson1. But at least I get my company car for free.

My ND order is for a Club 6MT - black cloth, LED headlights (standard on all trims), Bilsteins, summer tires. It's going to be great!

A 2016 Mazda6 i Touring with Technology Package has LED headlights with leatherette. It can't be had with a manual transmission, though. A Mazda6 i Grand Touring in Canada can be had with a manual transmission!

Ah - but a GTI at any trim level, with any number of doors, with any or none or all of the standalone options...can be had with either a 6MT or the DSG. Amost none of the top-trim Japanese competition can be had with a 6MT...Autobahn trim GTIs are approx. 50% 6MT, 50% DSG. Focus ST or Fiesta ST are at the opposite end...they are 6MT ONLY.

The quality and refinement of the GTI is such that it makes a very plausible $25k car...and is such that it also makes a very plausible $32k car.
    Which brings us back to the Mazda3 s Grand Touring 6MT hatchback. ;)

Honestly, I miss the 2.0T of the base 2011 Mk VI GTI 4-door I leased. I wish the Edmunds long-term vehicle had the Performance Pack and Lighting Package at a minimum.