Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Kia Amanti 2006 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    magmaxmagmax Member Posts: 88
    Hi Buff, Yes, I agree that the paint is gorgeous. Just a few minutes ago, on my way home, I parked briefly in an empty lot and got out to look at the car with its lights on. That front end is very attractive at night. As for the seats, I managed to get rid of the pain in the right leg by adjusting the seat but still haven't got it exactly where I want it. And the check engine light's still on. I'll wait to hear what my dealer has to say on it after the new year. I'm glad I found this forum where it's possible to share thoughts about our cars and also find out what the more experienced long-term owners have discovered about the Amanti.

Happy New Year to everyone here. I'm sure I'll "meet" you as time goes on.

MagMax
  • Options
    Hi, Good advice. I'm just going to ignore the light for a while. They told me that sometimes it just goes away by itself and I'm waiting for that to happen. As for the heated seats, I live in the only part of Canada that doesn't get a cold winter so I haven't tried them yet. Tomorrow a good friend from the prairies is coming for a 4-day visit and then I'll get a chance to let her drive so I can enjoy the back seat, with its own heated seat controls.

MagMax
  • Options
    Hi Priggly, So far I've really only used the FM radio but I must say that the speakers sound fine. My Maxima had a Bose system and this one is at least as good, with more features (various equalizer programs built in, for example). I was planning to try out the CD changer system this week just to get familiar with it. I can see that I really need to go away with this car for a week and do nothing else but try out all the various features. But, as I said, I like the sound system so far.

Another little feature that I think is amazing is the automatic windshield wiper system. It rains here all winter and just being able to forget about wiper speed is quite something. If another car splashes the windshield there's no groping for the wiper controls because by the time you think about it the sensor has speeded up the wipers to get rid of the water. This is something I've never had on a car before. I love it and think that all cars should have this feature as standard equipment.

I'll let you know what I think of the CD changer and the sound of the CD player after I've put a few into the car.

MagMax
  • Options
    happycc48happycc48 Member Posts: 3
    Looking for help finding the best dealership in Houston. Anyone on this Board?
  • Options
    billh6billh6 Member Posts: 123
    Nobody has mentioned whether your window film is scratching for no apparent reason at all. My dealer has ordered me 4 new windows. Once installed I am also having aftermarket window tint put on them so hopefully they won't scratch. Dec. 26th riding home from being with family, I stumbled upon a very sharp car in front of me and I raced up to tell them their trunk was open. Once I got beside them my passenger said that was another Amanti. I've never seen one from behind. What a beatiful looking vehicle. Bill
  • Options
    buffbuff Member Posts: 38
    Hi Bill: I have not noticed but I am going to askmy husband to check it out. I don't know exactely what to look for is it streaky or lines on the windows. Thanks and Happy New Year Buff
  • Options
    baseballberniebaseballbernie Member Posts: 19
    Driving home tonight doing about 45mph I noticed a loss of power. I stepped on the gas pedal and nothing, then the check engine light came on. I pulled over and lifted the hood and had transmission fluid everywhere. I don't know what happened, maybe a broken line or something. Hopefully no damage to the tranny. I called the 24hr Roadside Assistance number and they were great. They had a tow truck there in 30 minutes and towed it to the dealer. The service department was closed so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to find out what the story is. This will be the first test of the great warranty for me. I'll post information as it becomes available. I have not noticed anyone else mentioning a similar problem. I only have 5K miles on the Amanti so I'm not really impressed so far. I just posted a leaky oil filter problem a week ago, now this.
  • Options
    rong1rong1 Member Posts: 8
    Hi anyone been hearing a transmission whine between first and second gear. Also when accelerating above 2,000 RPM engine has a growling sound that is very noticeable. Brought car to dealer they say sounds are normal . Anybody have any feedback that can help ?
  • Options
    stockchaserstockchaser Member Posts: 56
    I don't know if it's the same as your sound, but at about 20mph, I have a very high-pitched whistle sound...almost like I had on another car when they said it was a vacuum leak. I don't think it's coming from the transmission--seems to be on the right front. Hard to tell.
  • Options
    I just got a call from the service department. They said the problem was a transmission cooling line had worked its way loose.

He said it was fixed and ready to go. This was only an hour and 15 minutes after the dealership opened.

I asked if there was any damage to the transmission with the loss of fluid and he said he didn't think so, as the transmission shuts down when the fluid is lost. He also said it's an adaptive transmission so for the next few days it may seem like it's shifting different, as it's adjusting to the way I drive.

I would really like to hear every ones thoughts on this as I'm a mechanical idiot. Thanks!
  • Options
    happycamper2happycamper2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Magmax and the rest of you out there.

I too bought an Amanti the 21st of Nov. It is a 2004 Silver with light beige upholstery. My wife says she feels like a Queen in it. I live in Alberta and have had reason to try the heated seats, outside mirror defrost and wiper blade defrost.

On Boxing Day we drove home from a lovely dinner in -28C clear conditions. The streets in this subdivision were treacherous with lots of ice and ruts. The Amanti drove like it was summer with no sliding, spinning of tires and no fish-tailing. Within two minutes our backsides were positively toastey and we had to turn the seat heaters down to 1. I put in a new CD and we enjoyed our drive home.

My car has a single CD changer but we find it just fine. We keep our CDs in a zipper case in the wonderful pocket in my door. If we wish to change music, my wife does it. The sound is superb.

I spent about six months researching possible cars to buy. As an avid reader of Car Guide, Road and Track and several others and naturally searching the Internet, I narrowed my choices down to the Altima, Honda V6 EL and the Amanti. We tried them all and my wife fell in love with the Amanti. It has a more comfortable living space. I too have been asked by all sorts of people what kind of car it is. This is fun!

Out of interest, our last car was a 1983 Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham which we bought new and my grandson has now inherited. It was a very faithful car. But I've now really moved up in the world.

I'll watch this site for further comments and tips. I also passed this URL on to my sales lady. It should be of help to her in her sakes.

Happy New Year to you all.
  • Options
    lakecrestlakecrest Member Posts: 4
    Just curious there. what part of Canada doesn't have a cold winter? ;-) thanks.
  • Options
    Lakecrest.....it's not cold here (by comparison):

Penticton, Okanagan, BC - Wine, Orchards and a Vacation Paradise

http://www.penticton.ca/
  • Options
    harrier2harrier2 Member Posts: 32
    I am wondering if anyone else has experienced a pronounced squeak/"groan" when applying brakes (front end dips)or when accelerating ( front rises oh so slighty)at low speeds???? I have had the front right strut replaced to no avail and now the dealer has ordered a front rt ball joint which he claims is the problem. It has not yet been installed but hopefully this will resolve the problem. It does not make any sound going over bumps, washboard roads, etc. only when slowing down ( under 4 mph) as when pulling into a parking space. I am convinced that it is not "squeaking" while driving because the dam thing is SO quiet you hear a flea pass gas. Anyway I have kind of been picking up bits and pieces here and there without any substantial evidence but only rumors that this is beginning to occur in several Amanti's built before April twenty something 04. Even the dealer eluded to this potential problem but did not offer a TSB as yet.So my point here is to check with other owners to see if anyone else has experienced this problem. I really don't know if this has been addressed in this forum earlier...I did not check it out very comprehensively....So this might be something we can exchange info on and perhaps help to come up with a fix if in fact it becomes a common problem.....BTW....my earlier concerns regarding the apparent bias against KIA by Consumer Reports still stands and the suggestions made by Alpha 1 that I misrepresented the facts are ludicrous,absurd and ridiculous..if in doubt read the article for yourself and draw your own conclusions...but I quess Alpha needs to pontificate to prove something which eludes me and frankly I take offense to your suggestion that I was less than honest. ..............so be it.....harrier2........God Bless Our Troops ......PS PS What model Amanti are you driving Alpha 1???????
  • Options
    Hi Happy Camper, Thanks for sharing your experiences with your Amanti. The more happy customers I hear about the happier I'll be as well. Where are you in Alberta? I grew up in southern Alberta, then lived in Edmonton for about 15 years, then in Calgary for 3 and a half, and then moved to Vancouver, where we don't really have winter.

I'm delighted to hear that the car does so well in sub-zero weather. One always wonders whether the soft suspension will hold up in deep cold and it's obvious from what you describe that it does.

I made an appointment with the dealer to have my engine sensors checked out so that this darned light can be extinguished once and for all. I'll let the forum know how that works out.

All the best to everyone here for a happy and healthy 2005.

MagMax
  • Options
    Hi baseball,

It sounds as if you stopped the vehicle before any damage was done to the transmission. There's a lot of oil in there and modern oils don't break down as the old ones used to. I'm pretty sure that you'll be fine. And since the dealer said it was due to a loose connection, if it turns out that the transmission was damaged, you'll have a new one under warranty anyway. It's comforting to hear that you were treated like a valuable customer. As for the adaptive transmission, those are pretty well the norm on Japanese cars as well. The shifting patterns up and down will be determined by the way you drive and will change accordingly so if you suddenly get very aggressive, the transmission will "learn" to hold lower gears longer for more acceleration and so on.

MagMax
  • Options
    Hi lakecrest,

The Great White North also includes a small strip of green on the west coast and on the big island off the west coast. Vancouver's the third largest city in Canada and it's located just a few miles north of the border and the provincial capital is Victoria, which is located on that island I just mentioned. I live in Vancouver and we've not had a freezing night yet this winter. If you know about Seattle's weather, you'll know ours too. We're generally a little more protected from the winds than Seattle but otherwise the two are similarly wet for much of the winter. But when it does snow here, everything shuts down, believe me.

Because of the rain I get to use the automatic wipers a lot on my Amanti. It's amazing how quickly one gets used to having them to all the adjusting. It would be very hard to give up the little toys like that.

I also discovered something else that I really appreciated. On all of my previous cars, I could lock the doors by remote if I had the trunk open and then just close the trunk and expect it to be locked. On the Amanti, I did that the other day and when I closed the trunk, the lights flashed on once to tell me that all the locks had activated. That's a great idea because then you know for sure that everything's locked up. Why didn't the other manufacturers think of that?

MagMax
  • Options
    Hi Stockchaser, Nice to hear from a fellow BC resident. You're right about the Okanaga's being a vacation paradise. But you'll still get some darned cold days, just enough to pick those frozen grapes to make ice wine with.

Is there a Kia dealer in Penticton?

MagMax
  • Options
    Hi Harrier, I haven't even had mine broken in yet so I've not had any noises to frighten me. But I appreciate hearing about this kind of thing from people like yourself who are having experiences with cars that have a few more miles on them. I think it can be helpful to us all if such a problem also occurs with one or more of the rest of us because then we can come to a service manager with more information and are more likely to have the problem diagnosed correctly. I'll be looking forward to hearing how they deal with it on your car.

As for Consumer Reports and bias, I think it's fair to say that all magazines have a bias. Consumer Reports comes out and tells you theirs right up front. They treat cars like toasters: they have a function and they should carry out that function reliably and consistently. Once that's understood, their reports can be quite useful and their reliability reports can be especially helpful. Of course, the reliability reports are compiled from subscribers' replies and it's highly unlikely that the magazine's subscribers list represents a true reflection of the average North American. I suspect that people who subscribe to Consumer Reports are generally more aware of consumer issues and are probably more generall informed than the average citizen so again, right away there's a certain in-built bias in their compilations. Nevertheless, there's nobody else in the North American press who has quite the same honesty and frankness in their evaluations of products as Consumer Reports. I wouldn't know what to do without them to buy appliances, electronics, and so on because ít's very difficult to find accurate and objective information for the layman on those kinds of products.

Having said that, I must also agree that I didn't much like their Amanti evaluation. It almost seemed as if the things I liked were the very things they disliked about the car. But their report didn't stop me from buying my Amanti and so far I still like it very much. I'm even slowly finding a seating position that doesn't rack me with pain.

MagMax

MagMax
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    stated that the Kia Amanti is now where Japanese cars were ten years ago. Excuse me, but if I hear an Amanti owner state that the interior is so quiet that you can hear a flea pass gas, does that take you to a Toyota Camry about 1994? Like I've said before ya gotta take these magazine articles with a shot of cold, fizzy Diet Dr.Pepper and take them for what they are. Opinions from people who've merely taken one of these automobiles out for a spin, all the while enduring anti-Kia comments from the people around them. Enjoy your Amanti's.

Good to hear from the Canadian Left-Coasters! I hail from the Skagit Valley north of Seattle but am now in school in mid-Missouri. That Okanogan area is gorgeous, as is a good chunk of the entire Pacific Northwest. BTW-Canada is the source of two of my favorite rock bands of all time. The Guess Who and The Tragically Hip. Awesome music from true professionals that endures the test of time.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    Hi, magmax...

Actually, I'm NOT from Canada. I just responded to Lakecrest who was wondering if all of Canada was cold. I'm familiar with the climate in BC and have a good friend from Pentictin. I live Arizona. Nice and warm here, usually.
  • Options
    I do agree with your thinking regarding why magazines by their nature are all a little bias in their own sweet ways. So unless monkeys write the articles the magazines are probably going to lean in one direction or another. I further agree with you that I also like the very things that CR strongly critized. BTW the squeak problem just started about a month ago..the car is almost one year old and has approx. 8800 miles on it. But I got confirmation from a friend who works at a Hyundai dealership who did some research and says that Amanti's made before April 04 may have a bad strut assemby (UNOFFICIAL BUT SOMETHING TO KEEP IN MIND). Anyway the ball joint has not been done yet and the squeak remains (annoying but not major) but the Amanti is still a joy to experience.........God Bless Our Troops and may they come home soon....harrier2
  • Options
    idforedidfored Member Posts: 20
    I have Hundai XG350 2002. You know that XG350 use same engine and tranny. I have whining from day one and have tried to fix it several times but no success. It does not bother me any more. I have driven my car for two year now. I sometimes hear growling on uphill which I did not have in the first year ; I do not remember anyone complained about it in this post or in Hyundai's . There are some posts about whining sound in XG350 including mine. I'm considering Amanti for my next car. Enjoy!
  • Options
    My first real experience with my dealer's service department came on Monday of this week, when a lot of businesses were still closed but they were up and running. The mechanic fiddled with the car for a couple of hours, testing sensors all over the vehicle and concluded that the valve that allows a purging of the charcoal cannister back into the fuel system was sticking. He ordered a new valve and will install it when it comes in. In the meantime, I'm happy to say that the light has remained off. When I called to tell them that they insisted on doing the replacement anyway, as part of the warranty. I think that bodes well for the future. Other than that warning light, my car has no glitches and I have no complaints. I'm still working on the seating position but am pretty comfortable already so it's going to be a matter of a fraction of an inch here and another there. Thank goodness I've got memory seats because after I've finished fiddling with the settings Í find it nearly impossible to get back to where I had it to start with.

I still think the Amanti is one of those hidden treasures. I have to believe that anyone who's looking at a V6 Camry or Accord or an Altima and who also drives an Amanti will see the features and the price and will ask why pay so much for less car?

MagMax
  • Options
    driving experience. Apparently you Amanti owners aren't the only happy ones with your Amanti's so far.

"Less than 18 months since its introduction in the U.S., the Kia Amanti was recognized earlier this week for its unique ability to delight customers when the San Diego based research firm Strategic Vision, Inc. (SVI) named the premium sedan the “Most Delightful Vehicle” in the mid-size car category. Formerly known as the “Total Delight” study, the newly named “Customer Delight Index Study™” provides a comprehensive look at the product attributes and benefits that explicitly create delightful responses from the primary drivers of vehicles."

"It is an honor to receive this award from Strategic Vision because it is a direct reflection of the positive experience Amanti owners are having with their new vehicle,” said Peter M. Butterfield, president and CEO, Kia Motors America (KMA). “The Amanti offers consumers high levels of value, quality and safety, and we are pleased that it continues to receive strong recognition from consumers."

"The results of Strategic Vision’s 2004 Customer Delight Index were calculated from the responses of 74,910 new vehicle 2004-model owners who made their purchases between October 2003 and March of 2004 and had owned their vehicles for at least 90 days before they were surveyed."

"A Delight rating requires a more positive, complete response than simply ‘Excellent’ or ‘Completely Satisfied,’” states Dr. Darrel Edwards, Founder of Strategic Vision, Inc. “When you Delight your customer, you create stronger bonds of emotional commitment to the product, the brand and the manufacturer."

Sounds kind of like the comments I've read from Amanti owners here on Edmunds. Sure, there's been a few hitches in your Amanti's glitches here and there but there always are with new cars. Kia is booking down the road in a very positive manner right now.

Here's the link from my source for this:

http://www.kia.com/010705.php

• Options
    rong1rong1 Member Posts: 8
    I have had front end squeak at right side at low speeds that sounded like a pigeon cooing. Dealer fixed but not sure how,something about upper link bushings. I still have knocking (sounds like tennis ball in a sleeve)sound at low speeds over bumps. Dealer has tried to fix 4 times and still the knock is still there.
  • Options
    topgeartopgear Member Posts: 111
    I have the same sound of the tennis ball sleeve that you mention. In fact I mentioned it in my earler message, number 400, almost exactly as you describe it. I happily have no front end squeak that you mentioned, though. I have almost 20,000 miles and own mine for a little over a year now. I hope they can cure that 'tennis ball in a sleeve' sound, although it happens more rarely now. (...or perhaps I'm just getting used to it?).

Even though it sounds like I'm complaining, I'd be hard pressed to find a nicer car! I still love it!

Top Gear
  • Options
    The last 2 times I filled my tank I noticed a small amount(about 1/2 cup to 1 cup)of gas leaking out down below the wheel well. Nothing came out at the fill point it was all under the car.

The first time the tank was full, so I thought maybe it was over flow. The next time I stopped when I noticed it and it was only 3/4 full.

I'll be taking it in in the next couple of days but would be interested in hearing ideas of what it might be.
  • Options
    I took it in today to have the gas leak checked. They said it had some kind of gas cut off valve problem. Apparently the valve cuts off gas intake to leave room for expansion or something like that.

Anyway, they did not have the parts on hand so they said they would have them over nighted, and hopefully have it ready by tomorrow night. I told them I needed the car and would prefer to wait a few days to have it done.

15 minutes later, when I went to pick it up, they said there was a small chance it could become a safety issue and they would feel better if I didn't drive it.

They said they would pay for a rental and told the rental company over the phone that I was driving their top of the line car and not to bring me a Geo Metro or Ford Focus. They brought an 04 Camry LE 5 minutes later.

I was impressed with the way they took care of me. The Camry was more than exceptable for a rental and it was a good chance to drive whats supposed to be comparable vehicle. The LE is no where close to being comparable to the Amanti. I don't know about the XLE, but I would not want to own the LE. I am happy to have it as a rental at KIA's expense.

This is my 3rd problem with my Amanti;

1. After market oil filter did not fit correctly and leaked.

2. Transmission cooling line clamp came off causing a loss of transmission fluid, the transmission quitting and requiring a tow. (Unknown if transmission was damaged. Dealer is monitoring it.)

I'm hoping this is the last problem for a while. I'm also getting concerned about going on any long cross country type trips. I know there is a trip interruption policy, but who can afford to go through that kind of vacation interruption when you have reservations and a limited time to get there and get back.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting that info. I know exactly why those owners reacted they way they did because I feel that way about my Amanti too. Every time I'm in it there's something that delights me, and delight perfectly describes my reaction. Sometimes it's a little thing -- like when I discovered that if I unlock the car and then need to go back to get something I forgot, it locks itself automatically again so I don't have to worry about remembering -- and sometimes it's a realization that this car rides like a limousine and other times it's just looking at that lovely interior, or sitting in the back seat and being able to cross my legs and still not touch the front seat, and on and on. Yes, this car is a true delight.

MagMax
  • Options
    MagMax yes you are correct. I am 56 years old and have several cars in my lifetime from Olds to new Caddilac. I don't know what it is about my Amanti but I just love this car. I have never felt this way about any other car I have owned. I love the looks and the ride it gives me. I really enjoy everything about this car. Buff
  • Options
    8012980129 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 04 with 7000 miles on it and just love the car. My only question is the windshield wiper spray is weak. Has anyone had a problem with the washer spray?
  • Options
    First...thanks to baseballbernie for bringing the potential gas leakage problem to our attention as this is the kind of information that benefits all of us. Baseballbernie let us know how the fix goes. My front problem (squeak/groan) is still not fixed after a new strut and ball joint. The dealer is going to install nw upper arm bushings when they arrive ( been waiting for better than a week). Dealer continues to be easy to deal with and seems more than willing to fix the problem. Even gave me an 04 Lincoln LS to drive for a couple of days ( it is a Merc/Linc dealer) and to be honest, this $40,000 plus lux car DID not compare to the Amanti. It was noisy, rough riding, under powered, and has a very, very tight interior plus alot of other stuff that I personally did not like although I am sure a true Lincoln buff would disagree. But I do know that this Amanti cost me a good $15,000 +++++ less than the Lincoln and is SO MUCH more enjoyable and fun to drive. Just my two cents. I will post when or if the front end problem gets fixed so that others might benefit if they run into the same problem which I think can be likely.....To 80129, no problems what so ever with the windshield sprayer on my Amanti, works like it should...Topgear, I think we have a totally different annoying sound most likely from a different source...keep us informed. BTW I am coming up on one year of owership with approx 8900 miles and just like lots of you have mentioned..I really enjoy this Amanti...Many regards to you all and God Bless our troops and may they come home soon........harrier2
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Take it into the dealer. More then likely the spray jets on the hood are clogged. I had this problem on my 03 Diamante when it only had about 6k. They installed new washer jets and they worked perfectly fine afterward. They said they arent sure how they get clogged but they have seen it before. Another possibility is a weak washer motor, but the jets are probably your problem. Either way, it can be fixed under warranty. Good luck.
  • Options
    harmar2harmar2 Member Posts: 36
    A column re: the Auto Show at Cobo Hall says Hyundai is looking toward the future of Kia and Hyundai models. It intends to make Hyundai trend toward a "family" design, while trending Kia toward a more "sporty" design. No specific models or changes were cited. I hope they don't pull what FoMoCo pulled on the '03 Crown Vic/Grand Marquis models. The ride was stiffened, which greatly displeased the segment that buys those models. Should be interesting to see what transpires. A "sporty" Amanti may not go over well with buyers.
  • Options
    Two days ago, I was watching a newsclip on this or one other upcoming auto show, and they did a very brief segment on an awesome SUV (not yet in production). It had a total luxury look and the interior was something the likes of which I had never seen before. WOW! Guess what....it was a KIA. I've searched the internet trying to find a picture of this vehicle to post here, but I can't find it. If anyone comes up with it, post it here. I need to see it again to know if I was dreaming!
  • Options
    click on this link and see if it's what you're thinking about for the concept SUV from Kia. This thing looks awesome, indeed.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?n=156,173&sid=173&a- mp;a- mp;article=7973

Comes complete with a searchlight for "lighting up the waves for night surfing."

• Options
    Thanks,iluvmysephia1!

Yep, that's it....wow! The interior they described is just what I saw. The thing looks like it could just be my next car! I hope they'll actually put it into production. Thanks again...!
  • Options
    Looks awesome-I've got to see that interior for myself!

• Options
    http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/naias_2005/0501_kia_kcd2/

This site should bring you to some nice pics of the concept KIA.

-Pete in Sarasota
  • Options
    Thanks, Pete! Those are the best pics yet!

I think KIA is definitely moving up, as evidenced by the luxurious Amanti. I love my car!

By the way, my next-door neighbors just drove home a new Silver Amanti today! I gave them this website so they can join in the discussion.
  • Options
    It took the dealer 2 days to fix the gas leak problem. They replaced a sensor, valve and canister. I'm grateful for the rental but not happy with the fact that it's been in for 3 separate problems in the first 6 months. As a former Toyota, Honda & Nissan owner I'm not used to this. I'm seriously considering trading in the Amanti and getting one of the former. I love the looks and ride, but for me reliability is more important.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your Amanti problems. No one likes to hear about these things, yet it's good that this forum allows us to hear about these failures - common or rare, depending on how many similar complaints arise.

Having said that, according to your list of 3 problems, starting with number 1, an aftermarket part not fitting properly is (in my opinion) not the fault of the Amanti, but rather the fault of the aftermarket part maker. That is probably the reason why auto manufacturers always prefer for auto owners to use their (usually) better quality parts.

2, The transmission clamp is a bad thing to happen of course. What makes it worse is that such a relatively small part failure can do such major damage. Good luck in that no damage occurred to your tranny.

3, The gas leak problem is not good either. Hopefully it is repaired now and you will not have any further major problems.

Let me finish my comment by saying that I'm certain that somewhere, some place, there are new Toyotas, Nissans, etc. that have had to come in to the dealership for adjustments just like your Amanti did.

Again, we are sorry to hear about your difficulties, but I think all and all, these things happen.

Hang in there and keep us posted!

Thanks -P
  • Options
    StaceyAZ....haven't heard from you for a long time. What's happening with your Amanti? Anything new?
  • Options
    staceyazstaceyaz Member Posts: 26
    You missed me? Garsh....

I'm still here, reading almost every day.

Nothing much to contribute lately. I've had the Amanti for not quite 8 months, and am running it at about a 10,000 mile per year rate. Right now it's got just over 6000 miles on it.

The car is absolutely filthy right now, begging for a good wash and vacuuming. But everything is running great. I'm always in the 18.0-19.5 MPG range. The engine runs great, transmission seems good, ride is as soft as ever, and all the whiz-bang extras work just fine. It's been in for two oil changes, and next time I'll have the tires rotated as well.

I had an odd glitch one day, but it never repeated, so I didn't take it to the dealer. I was driving along and it started running VERY rough. Bad enough that I turned into the next parking lot I found. I shut off the engine, and restarted it, and it was smooth as silk, and has been ever since - this happened a couple of months ago. It was very odd - like the engine controller had lost track of the engine speed/position sensors or something. Seems fine now, though.

I've always been very easy on cars, and this one is no exception. I let them get awfully dirty sometimes before cleaning them up, but that's about it.

And that's why I haven't posted - I didn't have anything exciting to say except "8 months and 6,000 miles later, everything's going great!"

Just so readers don't have to look back 200 posts: 2004 Kia Amanti, carbon gray, base model, no options.

Thanks for noticing my absence - that's pretty cool!
  • Options
    The Amanti was great to drive in the snow. I was not sure how it would preform. Did just fine. Buff
  • Options
    I was sorry to hear about the gas tank leak problem too and will certainly be vigilant so I don't get caught with the same problem. But I agree with the comment that an individual Toyota or Lexus or Nissan could also have a problem like that. On my previous 03 Maxima, one of the most reliable cars ever built, I just happened to have one with a slightly misaligned exhaust pipe so that whenever I went over a severe bump there was a clonk. It took over a year to diagnose and cure the problem and it was really starting to get to me. But that was the only problem I had with the car, ever. With my Amanti, I was very unhappy to see the check engine light come on less than a week after I bought the car. But the mechanic "banged on it" as he said so it worked again without any problem. But they'd also ordered a new sensor and insisted on replacing the old one even though it now worked fine. And I decided that it was a good sign, that Kia was interested in preventative maintenance and good customer care. The new sensor was installed in a couple of hours, they gave me a Nissan Altima courtesy car (my God is that a rough-riding car in comparison to the Amanti!), and everything was done at no cost to me. They also wash and vacuum the car before it's returned so it looks like new again.

With the thousands of components in today's cars, many of which are built by outside suppliers, I'm amazed at how little really ever goes wrong. I think it's more important to have a dealership that will help to fix the problem promptly and in your case that seems to have been done. I hope you have no more problems and look forward to the next update.

MagMax
  • Options
    Hi, As you know, I'm a new owner, with just over a month's experience with my Amanti. Before I bought it I read every report in every magazine and every website that I could find and I would like to hear from owners with more experience than I have to see if some of the issues that were mentioned have also occurred with any of you.

1. Tires: the standard Hankook tires have been criticized in the press but I've found them to be perfectly fine so far. Have any of you experienced tire squeal in turns? I haven't, but then it's usually wet where I live so maybe I'm not driving fast enough. I've also driven them in snow recently (for about 2 weeks) and found no problems at all. Anyone else?

2. One Canadian report commented that the air conditioner couldn't keep the mist off the inside windows. I've seen no problems with mine, not even in the torrential rains that we're having right now. How about anyone else? I haven't had a chance to try out the A/C in hot weather but I imagine that some of you live in the sunbelt. How's the Amanti in the heat? I figure that the more upright rear window should help keep the direct sun off the back seat passengers' necks, unlike most other cars with their slanted back windows.

3. Speaking of the A/C, I'm still trying to interpret the manual when it comes to the automatic A/C system. On my previous cars, I could run the system in automatic form, with or without the A/C running but I don't think I've found out how to do that on the Amanti. I thought at first if I pushed the Automatic button, and then pushed it gain to turn its light off, I'd have what I was looking for but I can still hear the compressor cut in and out so that's not doing what I want. Then I tried just turning off the A/C button by pushing it a second time, and that doesn't seem to work either. I guess I'll just leave things in Auto position and have the system do its thing without any more interference from me. But I'd like to hear from owners who have more experience and who've figured it out.

MagMax
  • Options
    Hi! Well...I have 20,000 miles on mine and own it a year now and I still love it dearly.

As far as the tires go, I think they are very good tires. I read somewhere when I bought my car, that these were designed for, and tuned for the Amanti to achieve it's quieter ride.

I once recall hearing my tires squeal, but I thought it was more that particular road and not the tires in general as it's very rare.

Living in Florida on the gulf coast, we get our share of humidity and rain. I have never had (or even heard of) a problem with mist on the inside of the windows. The A/C works terrifficly and poses no problems of any kind. In fact I love the dual zone, so my mother -who is always colder than me, can have a warmer side. Also, having the Solar Glass keeps the interior cooler by blocking a considerable amount of solar heat.

Finally my thought on the Automatic A/C question... I guess that in order for the 'auto' a/c to achieve its range of comfort, it needs the compressor. By disabling it, it can't control the environment, so it no longer is fully 'automatic'.

(This is just my opinion of how this works and I could be wrong on that).

Well that's my 2 cents! Enjoy your Amanti!

-Pete
  • Options
    kmqkmq Member Posts: 19
    Hi, My Amanti is a year old, 8,000 miles. No problems.

The A/C is excellent, nice and cool in the Mojave desert in July.

For new owners, if you haven't checked old posts here, check your tire pressure. Several of us old owners had cars delivered with high tire pressure. (50psi or so)My spare came with 50 psi.

No problems with mist, a little A/C dehumidifies the inside very quickly, even in cool weather.

It's a great car and a pleasure to drive.

kmq