Options

Why does my 2004 Jeep Liberty have problems starting after being driven in wet weather?

artakisartakis Member Posts: 3
edited July 2015 in Jeep
i have an '04 Liberty and I purchased a new battery for it. The unit starts and runs perfectly except for when being driven in wet weather. Drove it to garage for e-test when it was raining. When mechanic started it to bring in garage, he said he had a hard time starting, almost didn't start. After turning off to get readings, and hook up diagnostic tools, the unit would not start. He even tried boosting it, still no start. Turning key could here it try for two clicks then nothing. 20-30 min later we were able to get it started, so drove home (10 min) in light rain with wet roads. When returned home, again it would not start right away. Waited 30 min and it starts up every time. I have driven it farther on dry weather and have had no problems. This only seems to happen when it gets wet, any ideas??

Answers

• Options
    joejoesonjoejoeson Member Posts: 44
    This is usually caused by moisture getting to either the spark plugs or distributor cap. Open the hood (while not getting rained on) and look for moisture on the distributor cap, the battery terminals, or any other exposed wires. A cheap trick with WD-40 could help to absorb the moisture.