Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Funny electrical/burning smell under the hood?

mel321mel321 Member Posts: 3
edited July 2015 in Hyundai
I am reaching out to anyone who has driven or has knowledge about 2006 Hyundai Tucson GL 2.0L I4. I recently(January 2015) purchased this vehicle used with 40,000 miles on it. This is my first vehicle that I actually bought having payments and did a ton of research. After test driving it, I noticed a funny sound and rubbing feeling so I told them they needed to fix what it was, and then I would buy it. It turned out that they would have to replace the sway bar end links, upper strut mounts, and pull the sub frame to have all 4 sub frame mounts replaced. Now it drives great. After my last oil change I noticed that after driving long distances and then putting it in park I could smell a sort of burnt electrical smell. There has never been any smoke or leaks, just this funny "not right" smell. When I went back for my next oil change I informed the dealer of the smell and the possible areas that I know could make that smell (alternator, belts, transmission). Having several older used vehicles has kept me knowledgeable about what makes certain smells and issues. The guy came back and told me that everything was fine, and that he could not figure out where the smell would come from. Then told me that he doesn't really have the knowledge about Hyundai to really know. I have put 6,000 miles on it since I bought it, and maybe I am just smelling parts getting more use then the previous driver put on it. I am just looking for any direction to help me understand where/why I would smell this smell before a problem stops me from driving this vehicle.

Best Answer

Answers

• mel321mel321 Member Posts: 3
    It seemed to be the battery connections. The battery was building corrosion around the connections and it did not have a date of when it was put in. So when we replaced the battery the smell seemed to disappear. Thank you for you help and thought with this problem.