Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Accidental Trunk Release - 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2015 in Acura
imageAccidental Trunk Release - 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Long-Term Road Test

I needed to access the trunk from inside the 2015 Acura TLX. Turns out this was harder than it seemed.

Read the full story here

Comments

• legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    I'm trying to think of a circumstance where you'd want to open the trunk with a key from the rear seat.
    Not really related but in the bottom picture I noticed something that always bothered my when I saw pictures of the TSX wagon's fold down rear seats and it seems to be a thing with Acuras. The wheel wells are so obtrusive that when you lower the 40 side of the 60/40 seats the pass through is incredibly narrow. In you picture it looks like width is about 6 or 8 inches at the floor.
  • rosmossrosmoss Member Posts: 9
    There may not be an actual keyed release for the trunk on the outside of the car. A dead battery would make the trunk inaccessible.
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    Please, allow me to explain. The physical key detatches from the key fob. In the glove box (at least on the Accord) there is a switch to turn off the trunk release. Then you can lock the glovebox. All a valet needs to start the car is the remote, not the physical key. This design is so that you can hand the fob to a valet. Then the trunk is locked with no way in for a valet. This is in lieu of a "valet key" in the Smart Entry age.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    What both of them said. It is an emergency release in the case of a dead car or fob battery and how you secure your belonging when handing the car to a valet or the service department.
  • wheelmccoywheelmccoy Member Posts: 97
    @Ronald M. - Nice detail! If I were shopping for this car, I would have missed something like this. More than once on a road trip, an item was in the trunk, and I liked that my passengers could just fish it out by folding down one of the back seats. I understand though... this TLX favors security over convenience.