Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I have a 2005 Pontiac Montana that's not shifting out of second gear

lulu974781lulu974781 Member Posts: 2
edited August 2015 in Pontiac
my 2005 pontiac montana started out with not shifting out of second gear while driving and would not stay on while in park and i still cannot figure out what is going on there as i checked the fluid and other minor diagnostic stuff that i read online. And now still the same problem with transmisson but in the mean time i have gone out every other day to let it run for a fee minutes then it wouldnt start anymore even after charging the battery so i went and bought a new battery but it still will not start not even any lights will come on. Does anyone have any insights for me here? It has 115,000 miles on it and we just purchased it and it completey went to crud after our 600 miles/15 day warranty from the car lot.....

Answers

• 93tracker5spd93tracker5spd Member Posts: 194
    Hello! Sorry to hear that you just bought this van and are having such a bad experience with it, that is always discouraging. I do have a couple of questions that might help lead to the problem. You say that for a while it wouldn't idle in park, does it start or idle in neutral? If you try this be sure the vehicle is on level ground and the park brake is set. When you shift to park, does the indicator on the selector lever show fully in park, and is there any resistance? From what you have described it is possible that the transmission is stuck in gear, does the engine crank, and does it feel like there is resistance to turning over, or does it spin freely? The electrical problem may or may not be related.
  • lulu974781lulu974781 Member Posts: 2
    There is absolutely no power to the van now even after buying a new battery