Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!

Its Dampers Are Tired - Good Thing Gas Is Cheap - 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,006
edited August 2015 in Dodge
imageIts Dampers Are Tired - Good Thing Gas Is Cheap - 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 Long-Term Road Test

After about 70,000 miles, the dampers on our long-term 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 are worn and nearing their useful end.

Read the full story here

Comments

• I'm curious. What would it typically cost to replace those?
  • I'm curious. What would it typically cost to replace those?

When you find out you're going to know why you wouldn't bother if it was your money. A little loss of control but the ride has not really degraded and the rear end stays level; it's not worth the replacement cost of about $350.00 a piece plus labor. And that's not dealer prices. These shocks are supplied by Sachs, a subsidiary of ZF. They're used on quite a few Chrysler products (as well as BMW, Volvo and others) and last for well over a 100,000 miles before the ride quality really degrades or it can't self level anymore.
  • People tend to put off suspension component replacement too long for my tastes. I hate the feeling of being severely underdamped, it just drives me insane.

I can feel it on every bump, as if the shocks made of wet noodles. Everything jiggling around.

Just thinking about it bugs me.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Posts: 1,021
    At $350 each it would be worth considering a full shock and spring change.
  • phil160phil160 Posts: 7
    I think your explanation on the rear shocks is a little off. The worn dampening portion of the shock is what is worn and causing the car to hit the bump stops more often. The load leveling function of the shock is working fine and has nothing to do with the car hitting the bump stops. In other words...the airbag part is still successfully making up it's 25% of the spring rate...if it wasn't you'd have a significantly saggy butt.