Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Westward, Ho! Driving 3,124 Miles Back To Los Angeles - 2015 Dodge Viper GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2015 in Dodge
imageWestward, Ho! Driving 3,124 Miles Back To Los Angeles - 2015 Dodge Viper GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds editors drove our long-term 2015 Dodge Viper GT on a 3,124-mile road trip from North Carolina to California.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    Really excellent post. I must ask- How did you capture the 5th picture up from the bottom (where the Viper is rounding a corner)? Did you ask a stranger to take a pic for you?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    > I stumbled across this time capsule of a town thanks to my insistence on not eating at national chains on this (or really any) road trip.

Got that right!
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    So...considering today's political climate, what exactly was the "White Party" in the photo at cinema/theater?
  • defyant15defyant15 Member Posts: 74
    edited August 2015
    One of my fave posts in 4 years of reading this blog. I felt I was there in the car!

Loved the post about going a few miles off the beaten path to find a decent place to eat - I thought I was one of the few folks who cared. I recall my drive from Paris to Nice where I popped off the motorway at a random exit and found myself in a really cool medieval village eating some excellent steak and chevre (the restaurant was in a 400 year old building).

Your comments about driver ed here in the US were spot on as well.

Overall seems like the Viper does fine, but the rawness (road-noise, done, tire noise) and seating position/ergo are huge drawbacks. I did a road trip in a Subaru BRZ and felt the same way (as well as a Boxster, except the seat was good but the luggage space not so much). It's a tough thing for cars to balance track worthiness/sporty driving and comfort. The GTI tries to do it all but I feel doesnt do a great job, there is a lot of wind and road noise and just poor deadening, and it understeers in the track (Although the new one is better). Challenger is great on the road but terrible on the twisties. Few cars straddle both well, the ones that come to mind are the E92M3, the new Mustangs...