Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Which car makes sense to buy?

acevedobriacevedobri Posts: 2
edited August 2015 in General
I don't know much about cars, so I'm not sure if this is a "no-brainer" or not.

Option A: 2008 Mazda 6 with 92,000 miles for $7,996 (haggled down from $8,400). I like the price but I'm concerned about the fuel economy and total mileage.
Option B: 2007 Toyota Yaris with 44,000 miles for $8,990 (dealership doesn't want to go down in price). I like the fuel economy but I'm concerned about the price (higher than KBB).

Thanks for any advice!

Answers

• texasestexases Posts: 8,921
    What kind of driving will you do? Highway vs. city? Miles/year?
  • Just from home to school to home, with occasional trips to visit family. Mostly highway driving. 11K-12K miles a year.
  • texasestexases Posts: 8,921
    The Mazda will be more comfortable and probably safer in an accident. The Yaris better mpgs but not as good of a freeway car. Have you checked them out in the Consumer Reports used car buyer's guide? Worth a look. And either way get a pre-purchase inspection from a mechanic ($100-$150 or so) before you buy to make sure there are hidden problems (assuming the Carfax comes back clean).