Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Battery Discharges While Stopped? - 2014 BMW i3 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2015 in BMW
imageBattery Discharges While Stopped? - 2014 BMW i3 Long-Term Road Test

Our 2014 BMW i3 says its losing charge even while parked. But is it?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    stillageekstillageek Member Posts: 114
    Has the car had all the software updates? This was fixed early on in the I3 US sales. If you have a State Of Charge percentage option on the main display (cycle through options to see it) you have the latest update...if not...ya don't.
  • Options
    gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    Temperature changes in the battery (such as overnight) can also affect apparent range, even with no other changes. But normally a warmer battery shows more range than a cold one.
  • Options
    jodelljodell Member Posts: 9
    Drive an EV regularly and you quickly get used to the ever-changing range estimates: the faster you go, the steeper the terrain, the hotter (or colder) the climate, the heavier the load - then the more, and more frequently, the indicated range will change. Kind of like the gas gauge on an ICE except gas gauges only show consumption. The big diff is that on an EV the range shown is predictive, based on how the car was driven and in what conditions over the past X miles (or minutes- depends on the car maker). That's why it can say 60 miles one time, 62 miles a little later, 57 miles a while later after you've passed a semi on a long incline, and then gain or lose a few more miles while parked overnight. It all makes sense if you understand it is predictive. The State of Charge percentage indicator is what you've really got to watch to avoid running out of juice on the road.
  • Options
    jakek66jakek66 Member Posts: 60
    But battery power cars have been around almost as long as gas ones - so the 100 year argument is a mute point!