Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you shopping for a new car and having a hard time finding what you want or did you recently buy a car but had to settle for something different than what you originally wanted? A reporter wants to speak with you; please reach out to [email protected] by 10/22 for more info.

Non-car filter for cabin filter? (Ex regular AC filter)

son0fhobsson0fhobs Posts: 2
edited August 2015 in Chevrolet
Is there any reason I shouldn't use a regular home AC filter as my car cabin filter?

I bought a new cabin air filter for my 2002 monte carlo and the higher end one cost a little over $16. A regular air filter for my AC at home is $7 for a 20' x 16' filter. I could cut it to size, and double up the regular AC filter and still pay a fourth of the cost. Is there anything I should be aware of?

The main reason is the car air filter messed with my allergies for some reason, while the one I use in my AC at home is one of the few filters my sinuses are ok with.

Are car air filters specifically heat resistant? Could a regular AC filter catch fire if put in a car? Are there other unique aspects built into a car air filter? Could I do the same with the engine air filter?

Thanks for the advice!

Comments

• steverstever Posts: 52,462
    edited August 2015
    Good question about the fire concerns.

I've used a folded up home filter before, but some of the OEM filters may have activated charcoal woven in them. Maybe that's your asthma trigger! The OEM ones fit better; your homemade one could let more pollens or other stuff into the cabin.

Don't think I'd try a home HVAC filter for the engine though. That's kludgier than even I'm willing to go.
  • son0fhobsson0fhobs Posts: 2
    edited August 2015
    Cool, thanks! When i'm low on funds I'll probably try it for a bit anyway, we'll see. Thanks for the advice.
  • texasestexases Posts: 9,331
    Have you tried Rockauto? They're pretty cheap. That way it'll fit correctly.