Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Car dying

gsipe2016gsipe2016 Member Posts: 2
edited August 2015 in Pontiac
I have a 1997 Pontiac Bonneville and when im sitting still my oil pressure drops almost in to the red. Also when i just barely tap the gas like in a drive through to move forward my car will die but starts right back up. Can anyone help me out here?

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    If you don't get stalling any other time, I don't suspect the crankshaft position sensor.

I would take the MAF (mass air flow sensor) off and use a spray meant to clean electronic
    sensors. It contains two fine wires that are cooled by the air going over them. They collect
    dirt particles on them. The MAF is held on by two security torx screws--they have the little
    dimple in the middle so it takes a special bit on the end of the tool.

I would also think about having the intake cleaned around the butterfly throttle plate.
    That area gets gunked up with blowback gases from the crankcase when the car is
    turned off. The layer of gunk affects the air that bleeds past the throttle plate when it
    moves from dead off at idle to slightly off idle. Does the throttle ever feel like it
    sticks the first time you move it after the car has sat and is totally cold overnight?

Along that line too, the IAC (idle air control valve) is on the throttle area with the
    MAF and it bleeds air past it's nozzle. The IAC is adjusting constantly to bleed the
    right amount of air through; if the throttle plate is very gunked up,
    the IAC may not keep up quick enough, hence the stall.
    The gunk inside the throttle where its nozzle
    sits can affect it as well. So it might help to be taken off and cleaned carefully so
    that chemical doesn't go down into the valve's working parts.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• gsipe2016gsipe2016 Member Posts: 2
    I'll look into all of that i really appreciate it. Also the throttle does seem to stick when i first take off in the morning. when its cold out.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    gsipe2016 said:

I'll look into all of that i really appreciate it. Also the throttle does seem to stick when i first take off in the morning. when its cold out.

This video shows cleaning a throttle body off the car. It can be done on the car. Requires careful
    work to remove honeycomb. Not for beginners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST0qUTAztPk

As for the oil pressure, if the car is over 175K miles, that's a likely problem. Be sure
    to use 10W 30 weight oil and I'd recommend getting the high mileage oil--not the
    expensive synthetic that runs a lot of miles but the oil that's meant for cars over
    70K miles or so. The oil is basically regular 10W30 oil that runs toward the
    higher end of the viscosity range. It also has some materials to swell seals
    since the 3800 is prone to seeping between the head and block.

I use Mobile 10W30 blue 5 quart jug at Walmart.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,