Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2016 Chevrolet Volt Road Test | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2015 in Chevrolet
The 2016 Chevrolet Volt is the first full redesign of GM's pioneering plug-in hybrid, and it benefits greatly from substantial improvements across the board. Electric range is now within shouting distance of some dedicated electric vehicles, while its gasoline fuel economy is up considerably. A much-improved cabin also goes a long way toward making this one of the best plug-in hybrids on the market.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    g35eniusg35enius Member Posts: 1
    Rear-earth metal????
  • Options
    metalmaniametalmania Member Posts: 167
    Huh. Must be from like, out in back.
  • Options
    darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    This new Volt seems to do a fine job of splitting the difference between an EV an a hybrid. As an EV it doesn't have the range of even the Nissan Leaf, but 55-60 miles covers a day's worth of commuting and errands for many people. For those who need more-- and for people who need a car that can manage long trips without planning around recharge ports-- it logs 40-ish mpg on gasoline engine. It's the best of both worlds.
  • Options
    emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    Great-looking car for what it is. Much sleeker and more cohesive exterior design and they graciously removed those awful thick black window sills designed to fool the eye into thinking it had a taller greenhouse. The interior far exceeds the low rent happiness deprivation chamber of the Prius.

But saying this is a Prius-beater is a bit of a misnomer. Most Priiiiiii are not the plug-in variety and Chevy simply has no answer for those. Once Chevy has developed a dedicated non-plug in hybrid that out-Priuses the Prius for $24K, then we can make that claim.
  • Options
    marionmeadsmarionmeads Member Posts: 3
    Even the Gen 1 Volt proves that eliminating the range anxiety maximizes the amount of electric miles. Gen 1 Volt has only 38 EV miles, has fewer number sold than the Nissan Leaf with a range of 85 EV miles, and yet the Gen 1 Volt fleet's electric miles has surpassed the Nissan Leaf Fleet's mileage or is comparable. We should expect that the Nissan Leaf fleet should at least logged more than double the amount of electric miles logged by the Volt, but no. This is because in pure EV, you are afraid to fully use up your electric mile range. You always have to leave some wiggle room so as not to have range anxiety, and on the average real life, only uses half of the actual EV range. You can have the same argument with the most popular EV, the Tesla. It has more than 7.5 times the EV range of the Volt, and has sold much more than the Volt, and yet, the total mileage, I would have expected it to be at least 8 times than that of the Volt, but no, the fleet mileage is only comparable to that of the Volt.

The Gen 2 Volt would even be way better as now, the average owners would have more than 90% of their trips in pure electric miles, and yet don't have to use another vehicle for the out of range trips to anywhere, complete freedom without worrying about charging station availability.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Very interesting - who tracks the fleet miles?
  • Options
    Tesla, GM, Nissan they all have logging systems built in their vehicles that are uploaded into their servers.
  • Options
    Also, my current Volt Gen 1 will end lease soon so am waiting for a replacement. So far, my best record is about 60 EV miles on one charge and I also achieved 58 mpg in CS mode via hypermiling techniques. The new Volt Gen 2, I would be able to regularly push it to 85 EV miles and perhaps achieve greate than 60 mpg in CS mode via hypermiling.
  • Options

Tesla, GM, Nissan they all have logging systems built in their vehicles that are uploaded into their servers.

Guess I was really asking how you access that info. I see some links at places like Hybridcars.com but a summary page at DOE or DOT would be nice.

• Options
    If you are a parent of young children (at least one under 12 years old) who owns a 2016 Chevy Volt, a reporter would like for you to fill out a survey, due by December 22, 2015, for use in a print publication. Click here for the survey http://bit.ly/1M6rOvA