Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Turns On Its Road Trip Charm - 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2015 in Acura
imageTurns On Its Road Trip Charm - 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Long-Term Road Test

Our long-term 2015 Acura TLX gets better the more you drive it and the harder you push it.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    edited September 2015
    What about Acura's legendary understeer? Isn't it also slower than the old TL? Is this V6 TLX SH-AWD better than an A4 quattro? Better than a 3 series, or a C300 4matic with 240 hp? Which car is it better from all its competition or which aspect is better than the competition for this car. IMO it's cheaper and you do get exactly what you pay for.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    edited September 2015
    banhugh said:

What about Acura's legendary understeer? Isn't it also slower than the old TL? Is this V6 TLX SH-AWD better than an A4 quattro? Better than a 3 series, or a C300 4matic with 240 hp? Which car is it better from all its competition or which aspect is better than the competition for this car. IMO it's cheaper and you do get exactly what you pay for.

No understeer and SH-AWD is not a normal AWD system like Mercedes and BMW. Their system is designed to enhance cornering performance not just straight line traction. This video is long but very detailed about how SH-AWD works
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz9ol5zy5nk
    And yes it works extremely well on ice and snow
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJZxVefta68
  • Options
    subatomicsubatomic Member Posts: 140
    Impressive car. I hope that the flagship RLX with SH-AWD will be tested in the near future.
  • Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    SH-AWD is a very impressive system that Acura really should advertise more. I own two Acuras with SH-AWD and it's just very neutral handling around corners. There was an article somewhere that demonstrated how an MDX could outlap an X5 due to SH-AWD. The current iterations of SH-AWD might be cheaper to produce, but I know the early iterations were costly.
  • Options
    subatomicsubatomic Member Posts: 140
    I wish Honda would bring back my beloved Prelude. If I were making the decisions, it would have SH-AWD, a 300 to 350 HP version of the Honda/Acura V-6, weigh less than 3,500 lbs, be no taller than 50 inches, with sleek, sexy bodywork. It would also come fully loaded for less than $35,000. If only dreams came true....
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    subatomic said:

I wish Honda would bring back my beloved Prelude. If I were making the decisions, it would have SH-AWD, a 300 to 350 HP version of the Honda/Acura V-6, weigh less than 3,500 lbs, be no taller than 50 inches, with sleek, sexy bodywork. It would also come fully loaded for less than $35,000. If only dreams came true....

Stayed tuned. Rumor has it that Honda is working on a detuned, less expensive version of the NSX that will wear a Honda badge. Probably will have their new turbo 4 not a V6 and I doubt it'll cost less than 35 grand. It seems that Honda has not forgotten that the Prelude SH was their first car to have the super handling torque transfer system. The prelude to the SH-AWD system we know today.
  • Options
    Honda doesn't admit it but the new Honda Pilot has the Acura SH-AWD system with the SH portion turned off. Meaning the Pilot's system has the capability to send 90% of the power to just one rear wheel if it has to but only for traction purposes. More of the SH-AWD doing it's thing where no MDX will probably ever go...off road https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dds7i6MkM_E
  • Options
    joflewbyu2joflewbyu2 Member Posts: 3
    I love people that just memorize numbers. X car has 38 more hp and TLX is lacking. What BS, Look in the same magazine and 0-100 and 0-130 the TLX was actually quicker. Btw, I have had a 93, 99 and 01 Prelude as well as 06 TL and 14 TSX. The V6 TLX blows them all away. Quicker, faster, quieter, better handling, more comfortable, one of the best audio system I heard, and great fuel economy. Does everything well.
  • Options
    mapleloafmapleloaf Member Posts: 2
    I own a TLX V6-AWD and just came back from a 140 km day of mixed driving, highway and city. It reminded me why I enjoy driving this car every time i get behind the wheel. The article above is bang on, which is not to disrespect other excellent cars. It truly does do everything well and offers, IMHO, one of the best value for money proposition on the market.