Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Monterey Car Week - The Exhaust Situation - 1989 Yugo GVL Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,059
edited September 2015 in Yugo
imageMonterey Car Week - The Exhaust Situation - 1989 Yugo GVL Long-Term Road Test

We'd never had the exhaust fall off our 1989 Yugo GVL before, but there's a first time for everything. Now we needed a mechanic with some free time during Monterey Car Week.

Read the full story here

Comments

• subytrojansubytrojan Monterey Park, CaliforniaPosts: 120
    Cool story! Way to MacGyver something!
  • miata52miata52 Posts: 114
    I guess you really trust that Yugoslav parking brake...
  • prndlolprndlol Posts: 140
    Ah the ol' literal curb repair, I remember doing a few of those...
  • The DIY fix:

1/ Six pack of Foster's oil can beers. Make Riz pound them all, cut the ends off one can, split down the center.
    2/ Stop off a Pep Boys and get some exhaust wrap and liquid steel.
    3/ Wrap the Fosters can around the hole.
    4/ Wrap the exhaust wrap around the Fosters can
    5. Spread the liquid steel wherever you want. It's just fun to use.

Done.
  • While Edmunds has done long term tests themed around "low-budget family car" and "car for millennials", I've always thought of this Yugo experience as "car for high school students". Because when I was a high school student, this was the kind of car a number of kids had-- an old econobox they were able to buy cheap because it was on its last legs, and through a combination of a little investment in parts and mechanics plus a whole lot of DIY driveway repairs, keep running for a few years. I like that Edmunds has stayed true to this storyline with the Yugo.
  • You are wrong about something - Yugo does have quite a few exhaust hangers! They are metal-hook type on both ends (the body and the exhaust) with the wide, thick rubber belt in between, connecting them. The problem you have is that either they are broken/removed, the hooks on the underbody are damaged, or the hangers could not be used to hold the, obviously different, after-market exhaust you have on it because it has a different shape/curvature, and therefore were not fitted after exhaust replacement.