Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

New Muffler Only Sings the High Notes - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2015 in Ford
imageNew Muffler Only Sings the High Notes - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds' long-term 2015 Ford Mustang GT gets a new muffler system. But you need to roll down the windows to get the full-on raucous effect.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    defyant15defyant15 Member Posts: 74
    edited September 2015
    Ford Performance Parts offers the sports exhaust - you all selected the touring, so its quieter.
    The rumble you mentioned is generally part of exhaust systems that have an H pipe, yours is an X-Pipe I believe which produces more high rpm sound.

There are a ton of offerings with a deeper rumble. My personal fave is the Corsa Xtreme, which has both and justs sounds wicked with no drone. Their new sport line is supposed to be deeper and more traditional sounding.

The quietness you mention with the windows up is mostly due to the increased sound deadening in this Mustang as its more refined than prior generations.

I do feel the exhaust is too quiet stock, but greatly enjoy the sweet rumble of the V8 which does make it into the cabin (without resorting to cheesy tactics like playing the sound through speakers like BMW).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr44Uw1EoKg
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    edited September 2015
    I like a deep subtle exhaust at idle that lets you know that there is more than a V6 under the hood. The Camaro ZL1 sounds the best, it has that nice glub, glub, glub, glub sound at idle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8znprBh1Vc
  • Options
    zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    "big speed or acceleration is required to produce any kind of raucous sound"

I'm fine with that. I don't want an exhaust that sounds like I'm doing more than I am.
    To me those cars are just sad when they make a ton of noise and yet I'm pulling past them without going over 3,500 rpm. I'm not interested in screaming "look at me, I'm not going anywhere!!!" Don't get me wrong, I don't want it silent but a low grumble to just say "hey, it's sleeping now, you'll know when I wake it up".
  • Options
    markinnaples_markinnaples_ Member Posts: 251
    That new exhaust is way too quiet at idle.
  • Options
    jfa1177jfa1177 Member Posts: 52
    IMO, one of the best exhaust notes of any car is the VW VR6. There are several systems that really enhance its note.
    This Borla sounds really nice after the resonator is gone.
    https://youtu.be/ioC-bTpz8qo
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The best exhaust note out there is on a Tesla.
  • Options
    metalmaniametalmania Member Posts: 167
    No, it's on the Corvette C7.R!