Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2004 F250 towing ability

blucy2blucy2 Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Ford
Does anyone know what the F250 Super Cab towing ability is? I need it to be able to tow 8000 lbs in a trailer. Would appreciate any input. Thanks

Comments

• What kind of truck do you want? Manual or Auto? Short Bed or Long Bed? 4x2 or 4x4? What Engine: 5.4L V8, 6.8L V10, 6.0L Diesel? Which rear axle ratio: 3.73 or 4.10 on the V8, 3.73 or 4.30 on V10. 3.73 on the Diesel?
        Any 250 can pull it. The F250 has 20,000lb GCWR (Gross combined weight rating - trailer and truck) But depending on engine, drivetrain, rear end - you get differing weight capacities, and different quality of towing experience.
        For 8K, I'd think you'd need either V10 or diesel.
  • How much does the trailer weigh? Is it enclosed or an flatbed? Is it a bumper pull, goose or 5'er. All of the configuration choices that Walt mentioned are going to affect your effective towing capacity. For instance, a crew cab long bed 4x4 won't be able to pull as much as a regular cab 4x2, because it weighs so much more.

For starters, I'd say the 5.4L even with the 5-speed and 4.10 rear end would be too small. It would do it, but not very well.
  • Here's the Ford guide. Hope it doesn't confuse you more.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/products/rv_trailer_towing/2003/2003_SD- _F250_350.pdf
This discussion has been closed.