Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I'd Leave Off the Auto-Braking - 2015 Volvo S60 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2015 in Volvo
imageI'd Leave Off the Auto-Braking - 2015 Volvo S60 Long-Term Road Test

The City Braking system in our long-term 2015 Volvo S60 is a bit too sensitive, especially in parking garages.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    Ugh, I have no interest in this feature. I know it would probably save a lot of people a lot of money (particularly those who drive distracted) but I just don't like the idea of the car telling me it's time to stop.
  • socal_ericsocal_eric Member Posts: 189
    It will be interesting to see if NHTSA and DOT collect statistics about potential side affects of these autonomous systems, for example if pedestrian and low speed impacts go down but rear end collisions go up. There's probably a benefit for a lot of the technology if implemented well but you still have to contend with other careless drivers and unavoidable collisions.
  • 5vzfe5vzfe Member Posts: 161
    Honestly, if you rear-end someone moving at parking lot speeds, you probably need systems like these
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    More and more cars are going to have this feature or something similar so they can get the top crash test scores from the IIHS. Some work better than others but I'm still not comfortable with a computer overriding a human.
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    Question. A lot of parking garages have sloped exits/entries. Could that have been part of the issue here? Was there an incline going up to the road that it could have read due to the 10' distance, causing a false reading where it was picking up the slope?
  • agent0090agent0090 Member Posts: 26
    It kind of defeats the purpose if they work badly enough that people will turn them off by default for reasons like this.
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    edited October 2015
    I'm too lazy to search, but the exact same thing was reported by a different Edmunds staffer (possibly in a different vehicle) -- the auto-braking caused a jolting stop due to a nearby parking garage gate arm.

I am far from being a Luddite, but this feature would make me frustrated at best, and nervous at worst.