Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Say Goodbye to the Hideaway Screen - 2015 Audi A3 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2015 in Audi
imageSay Goodbye to the Hideaway Screen - 2015 Audi A3 Long-Term Road Test

The hideaway infotainment screen in our 2015 Audi A3 likely won't survive another generation.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    I think it's very cool. Much cooler than the BMW or Benz. I never realized the Audi had such high-res satellite nav! Can we see an in-depth review of the nav? That's very cool.
  • metalmaniametalmania Member Posts: 167
    It looks like lots of manufacturers are heading towards the "phablet stuck on the dash". Mazda's doing it now too. I HATE it, I think it's the stupidest looking interior tech trend I've ever seen. I would much rather have a screen that's integrated into the dash and looks like it belongs there.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Yeah, um, if its a $3,000+ option to have something that looks like its a "phablet stuck on the dash" and instead is some 90's technology based navigation system, I think I'll skip that, choose a mount and mount my 6 inch "phablet" there, LOL.
  • iamthestigiamthestig Member Posts: 85

It looks like lots of manufacturers are heading towards the "phablet stuck on the dash". Mazda's doing it now too. I HATE it, I think it's the stupidest looking interior tech trend I've ever seen. I would much rather have a screen that's integrated into the dash and looks like it belongs there.

I see the "stick on" screens we're seeing in newer cars as a way for designers to place the screen higher on the instrument panel while still keeping the overall dashboard lower and sleeker. Instead of having a large, tall block in the center of the dashboard, like a Chrysler Town & Country, for example, you can have a sleek, low, modern dashboard but still have a high-mounted screen in your general field of view. There's got to be a better way, though -- these things definitely have an aftermarket look, especially the ones from Mercedes-Benz and Mazda. Personally, I liked the Audi/Volvo approach of a screen that rises from within the dashboard.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The "stuck-on" nav unit on a 2016 Mazda CX-3 I tested a couple of months ago didn't bother me - even though it's on top of the dash it's still low enough not to interfere with vision out the windshield and is easily viewable
  • atariatari Member Posts: 10

I think integrated screens will be gone in the somewhat near future. They'll be replaced by docking stations that you just plug your phone or tablet into. I'm not a fan of the look either, but think about it now. I have an integrated screen on my cars now, but what do I need it for? I can use my phone for NAV. Eventually it will be integrated into the car and you'll probably be able to use your phone's touch screen to control the HVAC and everything else.
  • socal_ericsocal_eric Member Posts: 189
    I liked Cadillac's implementation on the last gen CTS. You could motor the screen up for navigation but when closed the top couple inches are still visible and can be used to change simple settings and radio presets. On cars like this A3 it's pretty much about style and no added functionality, which isn't a bad thing. I'm not a fan of the tack-on, tablet on the dash look but I'd wager it is cheaper for the automaker, less complex and less prone to failure many years down the road.
  • dldavedldave Member Posts: 46
    I know this post is months late, but a salesman at my local audi dealer told me that in newer/future models that have a backup camera, they have to be fixed screens. I can't/don't care to verify what he said, but he mentioned it was some sort of regulation. Whatever.