Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Stopped at drive through and wouldn't go into gear when trying to drive away.

orangekissorangekiss Member Posts: 5
edited October 2015 in Dodge
My 2001 Durango R/T had been driving fine, until I stopped for some fast food at a drive thru. Even though it remained in gear while I waited it wouldn't drive away when time to leave. It was like it was in neutral. By applying more gas it finally moved but all the way home it kept sounding like it went into neutral and I had to pull over and wait a few minutes. Then it would go for another short distance. I even had to stop at a store for awhile and do some shopping before it would go again. On a side note my water pump seemed to go out at the same time. I poured some water in the radiator and it leaked out as fast as I put water in. Could an overheated engine cause the transmission to heat up and cause it to shut down and not drive again until cooled down? What's funny is I smelled nothing overheating or any warning lights came on nor did any water boil out the overflow. :o