Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• Options
    linyguylinyguy Member Posts: 16
    "I'm on a search and destroy mission to find a pad that works w/o interfering w/ltd seat heating-cooling feature."

If you find one please let us know (I'm sure you will, but thought I'd ask), that would be great if you could find one!
  • Options
    lil2lil2 Member Posts: 4
    Mike, Thanks heaps for the info. I'm pleased to hear of your success. Will start the shopping process as soon as I get some input on the alarm system.
  • Options
    rtimbortimbo Member Posts: 24
    Came across another favorable Avalon road test. Don't know if it's been posted before on this forum, but I thought all of you might enjoy the read.
    http://www.forbes.com/vehicles/2005/05/16/cx_dl_0516test.html?boxes=author
  • Options
    ckelly14ckelly14 Member Posts: 105
    Sorry, but I did search and my question was not answered. Certainly, I saw the posts regarding the XM antenna mounting. If my question was "where else could I mount the XM antenna" I would have been fine. However, my question was if anyone had any new information regarding the "rumored" kit from Toyota that would allow you to use Sirius in the Avalon. I did search for this but I haven't seen any new information since April.
  • Options
    kinzuakinzua Member Posts: 44
    I don't find this to be an issue. Even with 87 this car has more flat out performance then I care to exercise. I've been to 105 a couple times and have chickened out. This car just wants to go!

MikeS.

MileS,
    I'm with you. I am using 87 octane and find this car has more "performance" than I care to test to the extreme. :):);)
  • Options
    zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    Have you tried searching on toyotanation.com and the Avalon user group there? It is another resource which might provide some useful info re Sirius.
  • Options
    donb1donb1 Member Posts: 49
    I have checked with 2 local dealers in the Akron Oh area and gotten 2 different stories on Sirius. One says they have discontinued XM and you can order Sirius now and the other says it won't be ready until fall or the 2006 model and even that is not a sure thing. I have an XLS on order with XM but would have preferred Sirius. They are making the car the last week of June and will be delivered the first week or so of July. I guess I will find out if they put in the XM or not come July
  • Options
    azhuyckazhuyck Member Posts: 25
    Ride is the same, road noise is the same as they are Michelin Pilot 235/45/VR18. Follow this link http://www.tirerack.com/ and type in the size. The best thing is the handling is much better. Tread wear is 300.
  • Options
    viking644viking644 Member Posts: 23
    Well put. I just sold back to my local BMW dealership my 04 325i with the SMG
    6-speed transmission and sport package to acquire my Avalon Limited. Comparisons are like comparing a Mexican restaurant to a Steakhouse. Each has its high points and drawbacks. My BMW was an awesome canyon carver which I could throw through corners at double the posted speed limits. The car stuck and held flawlessly-truely an awesome car to drive. The BMW dealership repurchased the car for $900 more than Toyota was willing to give me on a trade-in. They also pushed hard to get me to lease a 525i; however to get a 525i loaded with all the features of my Limited would have pushed its sticker to $53,000 and my lease to well over the mid $600 range for 36 months.

My Limited Avalon with CF(floor mats), NV (navagation), CL (Speed Control, VD (Stability Control) and the Blizzard Pearl paint has a MSRP in California of $37,649. My negotiated price is $33,454. KBB shows the Wholesale at $32,992 so I paid $462 over their "invoice price." The dealership showed me "an" invoice which listed their cost as $33,354. They could not explain the difference to me, but I let it drop since the price they gave me is $4,295 off MSRP.

I will miss the stiff handling of the Beemer's sport suspension, but the goodies and the fact that the rear seat leg room is 41" now instead of 34" will let my kids sit back there and not feel like they are in a sardine can. FYI when I test drove an XLS (no Limited's in stock) I took it up to 125 mph on a straight country road- the car flew, but on bumps at that speed the Avalon did float quite a bit whereas the Beemer had been rock solid on the same road (noted I felt the bumps in the BMW whereas the Avalon was smooth).

I cannot wait for Father's Day weekend-we're going cruising..... :blush:
  • Options
    retired7retired7 Member Posts: 133
    Does the seat ventilation system use ambient/cabin air to recirculate through the seat perferations or is it tied in to the A/C system? The LS430 (mucho $) front seats each have their own mini A/C unit to cool your backside. Anybody know?

FYI: I have a radar detector mounted on the visor and it is worth its weight in gold ! [Some states do not allow].

NWBLIZZARD
  • Options
    littlejohn600littlejohn600 Member Posts: 80
    Att: retited7
    Please advise the brand radar detector that you mounted on the visor??? Some radar manufactures do not advise this type mounting because of the window tint.
  • Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    In a three-car comparison test between, 2005 Toyota Avalon, Ford 500 and Chryler 300, this is what Automobile Magazine said:

“….Based on its sporty nature and superior fun-to-drive quotient, we would buy the Chrysler 300. Its interior is the weakest in the group, but its exterior styling is the most interesting and eye-catching.

….We’d recommend the Toyota Avalon to most people based on this car’s refrigerator-esque likelihood for efficient, trouble-free—though perhaps largely unexciting—operation for many years and thousands of miles.”

And I have to agree wholeheartedly with these observations, the Avalon is too anonymous.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Which Avalon did Automobile test? Car and Driver had positive comments on the Avalon Touring's moves.

~alpha
  • Options
    retired7retired7 Member Posts: 133
    The brand name is "SENSORO SILVER BULLET" available @ COSTCO for about $90. It works ok mounted upside down under the driver side visor. Nothing in the provided instructions about tinted windows.

NWBLIZZARD
  • Options
    limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    Another report on this feature. Service manager found today that following the owner's manual instructions and holding down the button 4 or 6 seconds didn't work, but when he used his watch and held it down for exactly 5 seconds it worked.
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    The Touring Model. It seems the Touring version is most popular among magazine reviewers.
  • Options
    havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    Car & Driver tested the Touring. It is interesting that they said that

"Toyota may have overdone the sport thing with the Touring suspension, however. Ride quality over broken pavement approaches Porsche-style crunchiness. Avoid the rough stuff, and the Avalon is instantly lovable for its driving position and excellent arrangement of the controls, great clarity of the instrument cluster, superb arrangement of storage bins, and quality. We rated the interior styling above all others, although there was some murmuring about one detail: Where wood-grain would normally accent the doors and dash, the Touring model reminds of hammer-finished metal—sort of, but not quite. It's abstract, merely a pattern; some folks insist on the representational, even if it's fake wood."

Since smooooth ride quality and realistic wood-grain accent are available in the XLS & LTD and the other lovable features are shared by all Avalon models, there is something in this Car & Driver review for everyone to be pleased about!
  • Options
    I was at my dealership yesterday and saw a blizzard white limited on the ground (already pre-sold). Mine is due in today to the 20th (on a $#@% truck between KY and CA). I'll post when it's delivered with some pics.
  • Options
    Has anyone actually found ANY aftermarket accessories for our 05 Avalons? I've checked everywhere I can find on the Internet and no one seems to be making any aftermarket grilles, nor anything else for that matter???? I know that the lion's share of Avalon buyers are silver haired mature persons, but this 39 year old wants to get rid of the louvered grille and get a sleeker nose on my Limited.

If you've heard of anyone making aftermarket accessories like this, please let me know. Thanks :confuse:
  • Options
    dclee12dclee12 Member Posts: 14
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone has a "fix" for the CD-Text on the non-nav LCD screens? The problem for me is, it doesn't scroll and only displays a few letters. I don't really want to be holding the text button while I'm driving.

Also, does anyone else worry about it getting too hot inside? I drive mostly in southern California and I'm worried about the plastic under the dash warping and being displacing from the imitation wood lining and air vents.

• Options
    angeange Member Posts: 158
    You are having the same problem that I had. I ordered a Limited with only VSC pn F.eb. 19 2005.On April 22 I was told my Limited didn't come in and no one could tell me when it would ne built.However there was was a Limited with my color, but loaded that was being built on May 16 2005. I had a choice, pay for two options that I did not want or wait to any length of time when my ordered car would be built. The dealer goofed and wasted two months by not telling me my car was 'Requested", not ordered. After two months of no build date they decided to tell me .They tried to sell me their XLS .Toyota builds cars as directed from Japan.This I am told by corporate help people.The corporate people cannot help you and called the dealer.The dealer also cannot help you. I am told you must have a build date and VIN number assigned to the car you expect, otherwise it anybody's guess as to delivery time. No one will swap cars at the different dealers as there is a demand for the Limited models. I had a choice ,tell the dealer what he could with the car they ordered or go the route I did. The car is worth the wait. Ange 1
  • Options
    I just got a Black XLS -- they didn't have Phantom Grey, but Black was my second choice. I decided against the touring model b/c of no VCS or homelink, but sad to give up the high intensity lights.

Total paid: 33,500 (after taxes and fees)
    Extras: JBL Synthesis and carpet/trunk mats

Is this a decent price? I did some research and negotiated hard b/c I wasn't gong to finance this time. Don't let the sales man steal your money with sympathy stories or numbers games like discounting extended warrenty to the total.
  • Options
    5539655396 Member Posts: 529
    "And I have to agree wholeheartedly with these observations, the Avalon is too anonymous."

T'would be nice if Toyota offered an 'Aggression Appearance' option on the touring model, giving it a Bad [non-permissible content removed] performance look. At least younger buyers should like it. I know I would.
  • Options
    greenbeltgreenbelt Member Posts: 55
    Ange,

I understand that the larger Toyota dealerships can order about 20% of their cars in the U.S. on a build to order basis (100% build to order with 2 week delivery has been the norm in Japan for over a decade). This means that they CAN get EXACTLY what you want, even though the time line may be a few weeks longer than normal.

Japan does not tell toyotausa what to build, toyotausa decides on a regional basis based on inputs from the dealers in the regions. Some regioins in the U.S. like SET and Gulf States tell Toyota USA exactly what mix they want shipped from Kentucky to "port" (aka Jacksonville, FL), where they then add "port options" that most buyers don't want or need and then tell their customers that this is what they have to buy. Not true if you shop around.

If you really want a limited with a given color and option set, try calling dealerships in St. Louis in the Midwest or almost any dealer in NE/Massachusetts. Tell them what you want, ask them if they'll get it for you, ask when, and tell them what you want to pay. See if you can strike a deal. They actually have to be responsive to customer requests.

Good luck
  • Options
    oranoran Member Posts: 9
    I'm trying to replace the CD receiver-head unit that comes with the JBL Synthesis sound system, and then add a CD receiver that is compatible with do-it-yourself XM satellite radio installations. At this time, the major online audio electronics shops do not have any info on the 2005 Avalon CD receiver wire harness or wiring diagrams. I've tried Toyota's own tech literature database but found nothing yet useful there either.

If and when anyone comes upon such info, I'd be very grateful if you could share. And of course, I'd do likewise.

Oran
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    if you place an order online with a local dealer, can you bypass the sales rep? I would think if you can deal directly with the sales manager, you can strike a better deal.
  • Options
    jordan7jordan7 Member Posts: 77
    I think your dealer is playing games and wants to sell only loaded Limiteds and perhaps for more profit than he was making on you. I ordered a titanium Limited the exact same date, Feb 19 (Mid-Atlantic area) with only VSC, carpet mats and wheel locks. It arrived exactly one month later, March19th. Perhaps the titanium color was easier to get and going through the United Buying Service ($500 above invoice) was helpful. I am extremely pleased and from what I read about the Nav system, very glad I did not order it. In my district you could not get the laser cruise control without the Nav. I have no need for the Nav. I would contact the district representative in your area and have a meeting with him. Good Luck.
  • Options
    3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    I'm trying to replace the CD receiver-head unit that comes with the JBL Synthesis sound system, and then add a CD receiver that is compatible with do-it-yourself XM satellite radio installations.

Oran -

What's wrong with just getting the Toyota XM radio kit? It integrates with the JBL head unit. What am I missing here?

Max
  • Options
    dtaylordtaylor Member Posts: 3
    I think you might be outta luck on grille replacement because the grille is not a seperate piece. The front bumper fascia, bumper, and grille are all one big plastic unit. I just took a tour at the Avalon plant in Kentucky and noticed that during assembly. I had wondered the same thing because the grille could use some enhancements for us 39'ers.
  • Options
    pcgpcg Member Posts: 6
    As you can not have a factory Nav system in the 2005 Avalon Touring, I am looking at high end after market Nav units. The Pioneer AVIC-N2 interest me because of large foldaway screen and it is capable of real time traffic updates via SAT Radio. I want to install it in place of my factory JBL stereo and still keep the standard dash radio cover in place. I am also hoping to retain use of the steering wheel radio controls. Any suggestions, thoughts ,or experience with this potential application is greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    pcgpcg Member Posts: 6
    Is it possible to have the factory NAV system retro-fitted to the '05 Touring Model?
  • Options
    Rats!!! I have an e-mail into a company in Southern California www.mrgrille.com asking if they will look into designing one for us 39'ers. That is bad news that it is a one piece unit that sounds like an expensive fix if you had a fender bender and ever broke a louver...

The good news is my Avalon Limited was on the car carrier this afternoon and I pawed it as they unloaded it. I'll be picking it up tomorrow night and will post pictures. :D
  • Options
    paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    Good point. You wrote "As an ' 06, it would mean lower depreciation that would offset any increase in taxes or insurance. "

Yes, our new Avalon probably depreciated $200 to $300 in the month we were waiting for it to be delivered :mad: ! And so it goes... ;)
  • Options
    :shades: I will say this for my experience. My dealership was up front on the set up of cars in the production cycle. They showed me an allocation sheet which listed the units coming down the pipe. I believe, not for certain, I started shopping hard in mid May and ordered my Avalon LTD on June 2nd. The sales person and floor manager showed me the list and I chose which LTD had the color and options I was looking for. Since I did not mind the nav, stability control, laser cruise, it was easy. They did comment that "most LTDs are being produced with full accessories." If I had asked for a stripped LTD, I probably would have faced a longer wait. FYI my unit went into production on June 6 and was delivered in California on June 16th. I am fairly certain that most reputable dealerships would share their allocation lists with serious buyers and match the right car with the right person. If you are feeling pressure or badly about who you are speaking to, ask for a manager, or better yet, walk. Do the Costco Auto buyer program or a similar one and there'll be a hungry salesperson somewhere willing to meet your needs.
  • Options
    navigator89,

Thanks for posting the Car & Driver link. Great article!
  • Options
    Finally our dealer received the Avalon XL we ordered to be transferred to their dealership 5 weeks ago. Date of manufacture was April 11th. Color is blue metallic w/gray interior, I was told it is hard to find an XL in blue metallic. We went to visit it the car today, and are picking it up next week. It's a beauty, 4 miles on the odometer - was sure to get a picture! Now I just have to get the person who is buying my Mercedes to come take that away so there'll be room in our garage :) !

My advice to those of you waiting for an Avalon - it's worth it!

My wife and I absolutely love the car, even though we have not driven it yet. If it drives anything like it looks, it will be one sweet ride :shades:, as it looks perfect in every respect. I look forward to learning from you all and sharing my ownership and maintenance experiences with you here on this forum.

I see most folks own Limiteds, XLSs and Touring models. Could those of you who own XLs please comment on your satisfaction with that particular model?
  • Options
    deaniedeanie Member Posts: 172
    Hi DC:
    I always wonder why people ask whether or not their price was good after they've already bought. There are those who paid at ot near MSRP, and they'd say your price was great. Others paid far less than you did and would say you could have done a lot better. Enjoy your car and forget about what you paid. Or, if you really want to know how good your deal was, ask again and I'll let you know.
    Regards,
    Deanie
  • Options
    People ask because they don't know. How else would anyone know what a decent or avg price for a car would be? The sales rep won't give you an honest answer -- you're left to bounce these questions off other Avalon owners. If it's a bad deal, I definately want to know and I'll be more aggressive next time. If it's a good deal, then good -- someone reading the forum might get a better idea of the price range.
  • Options
    jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    Yesterday I signed a sales agreement with a dealership in Pittsburgh for a Blizzard White Limited with laser cruise, VSC, heated seats, mats, no NAV for $33,050. Add 7% sales tax & document fee, it's $34,997 OTD. I put $500 down & will take delivery on July 2. Trying to find a Limited w/o NAV around here is tough. One dealer wanted $1000 down before he even began to look. My current dealer is part of the AAA Advantage Buying Program. I called him at 8:30 AM told him what I wanted (3 colors would have been acceptable). He called me back at 1:30 & I was out of the dealership by 2:30 with a signed agreement.. The agreement states that if the car isn't ready for delivery within 30 days, I get my $500 back. I'm optimistic that I'll be an Avalon owner by July 2.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Actually, we have a whole discussion where folks are sharing Prices Paid & Buying Experiences for the Avalon. I think what deanie means is that we'd like to be able to help people negotiate a good deal. By the time the deal is done and the person is here asking if it was a good deal, there isn't anything we can do to help if it isn't - see what I mean?

But I understand your point. And we can certainly talk about deals here, but you might want to look at the discussion at that link to compare. Keep in mind that geographic region is a factor.

Enjoy your new ride!
  • Options
    waterduckwaterduck Member Posts: 4
    Just happened to notice that when I use the windshield washer (XLS) the ol' wipers go swish-swish then stop for a couple of seconds then come back on for one last wipe to get that aggravating last bit of washer fluid that always seemed to want to run right down the middle of the windshield! Nice touch. :D
  • Options
    rewoprewop Member Posts: 35
    greenbelt writes to ange "This means that they CAN get EXACTLY what you want, even though the time line may be a few weeks longer than normal."

That's exactly right. I ordered a Limited with exactly what I wanted and got exactly what I wanted. It did take 2 months of waiting, but it was worth the wait to get exactly what you want with 8 miles on the odometer.

rewop
  • Options
    Makes sense, Pat. Thanks for clarifying!

And thanks for helping us & all the good work you do for the forum. Looking forward to being a more frequent contributor now that my wife and I are taking delivery of our 2005 XL next week! :D

- Paul (posting from Nashua, NH)
  • Options
    Very cool, waterduck!

That's something that's bothered me since I was 4 years old looking up through car windshield - the annoying final drips that don't get wiped away. Finally someone addressed that!

The Toyota designers/engineers really get it!! When my wife and I toured the Fremont, CA NUMMI plant a couple of years ago, they told us how their suggestion program is one of the most active in the industry. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the result of an employee suggestion.

What a neat idea!! Smart people, these folks.
  • Options
    cafpafcafpaf Member Posts: 65
    jeffm5, I am also in Pittsburgh. I don't know where you purchased your Limited, but I purchased mine from Rohrich and everything went perfectly. I ordered the car exactly as I wanted it (Blue Mirage with VSC, Preferred Accessory Package, and Wheel Locks. No Nav and no Laser Cruise Control). I ordered it on March 31 and took delivery on April 28th. Although I went to several dealerships, Rohrich was the only one who would discount the car and order what I wanted. Others told me that I had to take what they had coming in. I dealt with the internet sales fellow and the General Manager. The sticker price on my car including freight was $35,252 and I paid just at $35,500 with tax and license. It sounds like our deals are almost exactly the same. I hope that your experience will go as well as mine. You are going to really like this car. I had been driving Cadillacs from Rohrich for many years and in many respects, particularly cost and economy, my Limited is a better car. It has just about everything my 2002 Cadillac DTS had with very few minor exceptions. If there is one thing I could change about my Limited it would be to have a little lower trunk opening. I have a cart bag and getting the clubs in and out can be a bit difficult. Groceries and other things are not a problem.
  • Options
    307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    There is no fix for the radio display. That is how it was designed. I don't think it scrolls even with nav.
    Maybe in 2 or 3 years there will be an updated system that scrolls if enough people complain.
    No use to speculate about warping that may not happen.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You're welcome on both counts. :-)

Looking forward to your delivery story - best of luck!
  • Options
    johnijohni Member Posts: 43
    This is a follow-up to an earlier posting. It took Safelite two weeks to get a new windshield from Toyota for my Limited. If anyone needs to have a windshield replaced, make sure you specify that it must be an OEM part from Toyota so that you get the proper acoustic noise reducing windshield.

Safelite's technician installed it at my home in about an hour. Total cost: $487. My cost: $250 deductible on my auto insurance.
  • Options
    oranoran Member Posts: 9
    To answer my own question, go to http://techinfo.toyota.com/

You can buy yourself a day ($10) or months worth of access to nearly everything there is about the 2005 Avalon. Service manuals, diagnostics, wiring diagrams. I found the wiring diagrams there for the audio system and satellite radio, plus installation instructions, and then open heart surgery for back seat passengers.

Okay, I exaggerated about that last one.

Enjoy.

Oran
  • Options
    mikerochmikeroch Member Posts: 69
    Hi all,

Haven't posted in quite a while (been really busy at work).

We've pretty well decided on the Avalon, especially given the recent poor IIHS safety rating on the Maxima, but probably going to wait for an '06.

Anyway, my current question is this: Has anyone had any "problems" with the relatively smallish trunk size? (Although last time we looked, it seemed big enough).

Thanks!!