Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• Options
    ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    Thanks..I dont think I need them
  • Options
    just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    Yes Ronn I agree with pmcb48, we don't need them, but I will make the decision once I see it on the Avalon up close. If you also decided after seeing one and thought it enhanced the car, I would do the double striping, red on top and silver below it, with the red being the wider of the two. That would be very sharp if you decide, JMHO. I think the stripe would give the car the illusion that's it's longer than it is. Have a good evening, time for bed, :).
  • Options
    jl618jl618 Member Posts: 64
    Thank you for a wonderful informative post, dmorthole.

After one works through the tutorial, it is almost guaranteed he/she will know more than 95% of the sales persons about the Toyota/Lexus Nav.

It is a great Nav introduction (note the word INTRODUCTION).

And, yes, Toyota should put the turorials on its web site.
  • Options
    chipmunk47chipmunk47 Member Posts: 39
    The term "Limited" when applied to most products usually means the production is limited to the exact number that can be sold.
  • Options
    jl618jl618 Member Posts: 64
    While hanging a mirror recently the thought occurred to me that perhaps one could use the same technique/plastic hardware to insert a plexiglass cover into the recessed housing without removing anything and without degrading performance.

Perhaps a strong bonding material could hold the clips in place.

I have only looked at the system from a distance.

No pride of authorship here, so rip it apart. You won't hurt my feelings.
  • Options
    grozagroza Member Posts: 89
    "I'll bet that black XLS looks very nice with the gold pinstripes! : )
    Now my question is what did you find under the engine cover?"

Mack: I sent HOST some jpeg's of the pinstripes to post- you know, show & tell.

Under the engine cover? Just like you said - a plain old V6. But with 280 DOHC ponies, 31 mpg and ULEV to boot. Whooppee!

Hey, I'm thinking of tying a couple fox tails to the back bumper, just like I had on my old Schwinn. How do you think they'll look with the pinstripes?

Groza
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Tiger tails would look best to go with the gold stripes!
    ; )
    Mackabee
  • Options
    groza...what color is your interior?
  • Options
    swardsward Member Posts: 20
    The plexiglas cover idea is a good one, and I have already thought of it. My Limited with laser cruise control comes in next week, and I am going to look at the possibility of a plexiglas cover for the cruise sensor, and a similar cover on the opposite side to create a "dummy" sensor. I will use a digital camera to recreate the look of the sensor behind the plexiglas on the dummy side. I've looked at the fascia where the sensor is mounted, and I don't think it will be too hard to modify this, but it will require some time and craftsmanship to make it look nice. If I am able to accomplish this, I'll post a picture and instructions. The other thing I plan to do is to relocate the XM antenna to the rear deck inside the car to see if if the reception is acceptable.
    I would like to thank all of you for your informative posts. I've learned a lot about this car, and it has been helpful in making purchasing decisions.

SCW
  • Options
    bluesiebluesie Member Posts: 6
    Have you found a way to fix the laser cruise to work without pre setting to normal before you take it out of PARK? Or to just bypassing the laser cruise control and have a conventional/normal cruise control?
  • Options
    "groza...what color is your interior?"

ronn: Ivory.
  • Options
    abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    I found similar for these too. I also thought they were noisy at low speeds. But the ride was fine, I thought they were very good in the rain and thought the cornering grip was superior, not just OK. I have reworked the suspension on my 02 a little, with HP struts and small bushing changes. This might have something to do with it since mine is not stock.

I thought they were worth the low cost, but not sure I would get them again, depending on what is new on the market.

abfisch
  • Options
    That sounds like a more accurate device than what I have on the standard. We should take into account that the engine has more torque now, so going up grades is not as much a chore. If the lens is vulnerable and or expensive to replace, that would make it less desirable. If it is durable, certainly it would be more desirable.

abfisch
  • Options
    Fellow 05 Avalonians: What a well-written review by Edmunds. Kind of nice to read something that underscores everything we've been saying and then some!

Now that our cars have some miles on them, with exposure to dirt, rain and road grime, how many of you have discovered clay bar treatment? I've used clay on show cars for several years now, and can confirm that it enhances wax finishes to the max. Try it on your Avalon before the next wax job. You'll never go back.

Groza
  • Options
    prime timeprime time Member Posts: 40
    Can anyone here recommend a particular brand of radar detector...particularly one that detects photo radar? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    iflyx5iflyx5 Member Posts: 14
    You're definitely right about clay bar. I used it on my BMW X5 and wife's MB E320 and the paint is shinier than new. Clay bar plus Zaino's wax will put your Avalon head of the line (http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc)
  • Options
    prime timeprime time Member Posts: 40
    nice post norskey
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    For those of you interested in posting photos, let me explain that at the present time we do not have a way to host them. You need to find a place on the web where they can reside (perhaps the photobucket.com that was mentioned earlier, or something similar) and then you can either post a link to it, or you can use the html "img src" tags to actually cause it to display in your post.

For the syntax on how to do that, see the Forums Help File on the left side of the page.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    burlburl Member Posts: 40
    Relax you are safe
    Many years ago the term COULD MEAN THERE WAS a preset # of cars being built under this name plate or AS A SPECIAL EDITION such as a 75 aniversy or as was the typical case a special run of a Particular Super Hot edition Like the old Superbee Dodges (remember them with the Florescent colors an huge Wings on the back).

Over the years this has slowly has been incroshed upon until it today USUALLY means the top of the particular line of that model.....It stii gets used to mean a special run accosionally even today but even if the manufactoer calls it a Limited Edition They will quietly build as many as they can get orders for. This usually applies to even the hot rods of today........Unless they come out as numbered units....1 37 103 300 etc.
    If you call it a Limited or Grand or 75 year anniversity etc You sell more cars. Lexus has a
    Limited Edition for a spring promotion almost every year but they build as many as they think will sell and more if needed.
  • Options
    I forgot to thank you for this link, so THANK YOU MOTOWNUSA. http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=105147/pageId=63224
    2005 AVALON LIMITED WINS FIRST PLACE.
    Looks like the Avalon won the comparison by a wide margin.
  • Options
    jscott2jscott2 Member Posts: 13
    That's a great deal. What dealer in the Maryland area did you buy from?
  • Options
    Couln't agree more. That is usually how it goes. Other than quality control issues regarding parts that were suppose to meant standards but have falled.

abfisch
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    You are welcome. I posted the link yesterday. But this forum is so active that one post easily gets lost among the dozens that are posted everyday. I am sure Toyota is very happy with the kind of enthusiasm that the new Avalon is generating
  • Options
    Your right mowtown, so I will post it one more time.
    2005 AVALON LIMITED WINS FIRST PLACE. SEE LINK.
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=105147/pageId=63224

Looks like the Avalon won the comparison by a wide margin.
  • Options
    treynardtreynard Member Posts: 12
    The April issue of MOTOR TREND magazine also has an article on the new Avalon. The review is positive, but with a few criticisms, too. The negatives basically conclude that the Avalon is not particularly stylish or exciting, and should have a Lexus badge because of the high price of the Limited. I think the criticisms are valid, but the vehicle has so many positive features, who cares if the styling is a bit bland. T Reynard
  • Options
    Speaking of pics, here's a link to what I do when not selling Avalons or other Toyota vehicles over the internet:
    http://www.drumandstage.com/VIctorMonterroza.html
    enjoy!
    : )
    Mackabee
  • Options
    Mac, thanks for sharing that. You play well. Hope your feeling better my friend.
  • Options
    tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    A few days ago, I posted pricing information on 2006 Avalon from a local SF Dealer. I received an email yesterday saying that they had no information on the 2006 Avalon at this time. To me, this suggests that the vehicle will have a mid September or October delivery date.
  • Options
    I added the link (to the main article, not just the Avalon page! ;)) in the Helpful Links box on the left side of the page. That way you won't need to keep posting it. ;)
  • Options
    What's the post number? I missed it. I can verify if it's true or not.
    Mackabee
    p.s. still nothing official from TMS USA on 2006 Avalon.
  • Options
    tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    It was #3487. It was an ad that I saw, but I did not believe it because they said "2006." Thus, I called them about some information about availability and they had none.

I'm interested in the XL model. I have to go and check out the vehicle. From the dealer inventory online, they have no XL models and anywhere from 7 to 14 Limiteds and other versions.

I personally want the '06 information. Is that correct about ordering it next month?
  • Options
    What is Clay bar? Where do you buy it?
    I've been using Meguire's on my car for 20+ years.
    I love my 05 Avalon. The review is true.
  • Options
    I had to wait about 5 weeks to get my White XL. The dealer told me it would take that long and it did.
  • Options
    Tina, see the previous post by just me and also mine. There is no official info on the 2006 Avalon. As far as getting an XL have you tried other dealers? Have you checked Longo Toyota's (the world's largest Toyota dealer) inventory online? They're in San Pedro, Ca or El Monte, Ca I forget which in Los Angeles. A couple of hours drive could save you big bucks. These guys sell tons of Toyotas at volume prices. I was there once in 1986 when I was stationed at the shipyard in Long Beach back in my navy days. I was very impressed when I was on the 405 or 5 freeway and there was an actual car on their billboard. Not a picture but a car itself. The only other place I've seen this was in New York City in going into Manhattan. Very impressive.
    Mackabee
  • Options
    Looks like fun! But I dunno if you're s'posed to be wearing a coat and tie... ;-)
  • Options
    It's lots of fun! Being doing that on and off since I was 10. The pic with the coat and tie was taken two days before I found out about my cancer : (
    I had just gotten home from work and I was releasing some steam. The guitars in the pics are little mackabee's my youngest son. He's 19 now but he's where I got my user name from. His name is Mark but his two older brothers used to call him Mackie when he was little which then grew into Mackabee and I adopted the name. He's the talented one of the family. Plays guitar, bass guitar, and keyboards and writes his own songs. I've told him to copyright them but he won't listen. He has posted some of them on some website for others to listen to. Yes, he drives a Toyota (to stay on topic) Corolla.
    Mackabee
  • Options
    I posted earlier regarding the availability of the 2006 Avalon and mentioned the name of the person I spoke with at Donlen and posted the phone number. I received an email from our Host Pat informing me that even though I received permission from the party to post their name and number at Donlen, according to the agreement we sign when registering on this forum, posting the name and number is not allowed. I respect our Host, Pat and am now aware of it after reading that part of the agreement Pat emailed to me. I only posted the name and number to verify what I posted was true and could be verified. Anyhow I told her I would re post what I did earlier without posting the name of the individual or phone number so you can all be up to date.

As promised that once I heard back from Donlen I would report to you. I have been assured by the individual who called me that the information was provided by their corporate office in charge of leasing. Donlen is a large Fleet leasing Company. The Form with dates you saw posted here was only for Donlens Contractual Fleet Service Business with Toyota, NOT FOR AND I REPEAT, not for consumers such as you and I. Donlen has nothing to do with the consumer, they are not a Car Dealership. The Cutoff date for the 05 Avalon only applies to the Donlen Fleet Service Business not any Retail, or Dealerships to the consumer. The August date for the 06 Avalon is strictly for their Fleet Service Business, and does not pertain to any Toyota Dealerships selling to the consumer. The person expressed the fact that the August date usually changes weekly and can be moved forward by Toyota and that, that is very likely to happen. They said the fact that they buy in huge quantities for their fleet service is the reason why the cutoff date for them for the 05 is in April and that the form only applies to their Fleet Service Business. That that is not the cutoff date they expressed over and over again to Toyota Dealerships that sell to the consumer, and you and I won't see the 06 in Dealer showrooms in August. So what Toyota Corporate told me about the 06 not arriving to dealer show rooms probably not until the end of October seems plausible. Once again it was expressed that since the 05 was introduced in Feb, it is more than likely we won't see the 06 till the end of October or in January 06. Now you have the facts for once and for all. Okay, I did all the research on this that I plan to. I will not address this again. I think I made it perfectly clear and hope I helped those who wanted an answer. THERE WILL BE NO 2006 TOYOTA AVALON IN DEALER SHOWROOMS OR AVAILABLE FOR SALE TO THE CONSUMER IN AUGUST, PERIOD. Please be careful of spam and rumors.
  • Options
    This post was also removed because I gave the name of the Sales Manager. So I am re sending it without his name. According to what our Host, Pat sent me, I am allowed to give the Dealers Name, City, and State, but not the phone number or name of person.

THIS WAS A POST I SENT YESTERDAY. I CALLED AND SPOKE WITH COURTESY TOYOTA IN TAMPA FLORIDA, AND they told me I can post their Toyota Dealer name (COURTESY TOYOTA) and they said typically when a new model is introduced late like the new Avalon was in February, rather then seeing the 06 as in this case being introduced in Sept or Oct., it's more likely you won't see it until maybe January of 06 if not later. Same as my dealer told me. They told me they have no information about an 06 Avalon being delivered to showrooms in August and that it would make absolutely no sense to do so.
    I ALSO CALLED AND SPOKE WITH STADIUM TOYOTA ALSO KNOWN AS TOYOTA FRIENDLY. They were also very nice and basically shared the same information with me.
  • Options
    mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    "Have you found a way to fix the laser cruise to work without pre setting to normal before you take it out of PARK? Or to just bypassing the laser cruise control and have a conventional/normal cruise control?"

I've posted this before but here goes again;
    You can turn the laser cruise to normal cruise while driving the Avalon. As long as you haven't already engaged (set) the laser cruise. Once you have engaged it it won't go into normal. A real easy fix? Turn it off for a quick minute and then turn it back on and change to normal.

MikeS.
  • Options
    autoguy1autoguy1 Member Posts: 87
    I think he mentioned he can't seem to get regular cruise while moving (for some reason), only when in park.

I really have no clue as to why this happens and I really can't help giving you an answer. I really think you have no other option except getting it fixed and try to take precautions in protecting it.
  • Options
    Great JOb !!!!!!Thanks for sharing!!!
  • Options
    Good evening friends... I would like to say thanks for all the great post and information.
    I would also like to add that I met two wonderful people in the dealership parking lot one Sunday while looking at the Avalons. We started talking about the Toyotas, and the new Avalon, and both ended up getting the same car. A black Limited.
    Before they decided on theirs, I took them for a ride in mine. They are now two very special people to me, and I told them about this forum, and how informative it was. They will be checking us out here very soon, so please welcome JACK AND WINNIE- Proud new Avalon owners, and great new friends !!!!!
    RONN
  • Options
    Hi Ronn, they are welcome.
  • Options
    alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    Notice that the "Avalon roasts the competition" in all aspects except the "Squeaks and Rattles" category where it came LAST. This is very disappointing because I have been haunted by numerous rattles in my 2002 Avalon which have taken me many, many hours (months?) over a period of years to trace, dissasemble and resolve. Very un-Toyota like and very maddening. My wife's Sienna rattles like a can of loose nuts and bolts - there are so many it is beyond help. There are numerous Camry posts complaining of rattles too.
    I'd like to get feedback from new 05 Avalon owners - are you experiencing squeaks and rattles?
    If squeaks and rattles are now standard equipment on Toyotas then I'm outta here...
  • Options
    havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    alan_s,

I also found it strange that Avalon placed last in the "Squeaks and Rattles" category. They did say that "We noted a few minor fit-and-finish issues that could be attributable to our tester's preproduction status" in the First Place: 2005 Toyota Avalon road test results (http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=105147/pageId=63224#12).

In my experience after four weeks of ownership, I've found zero squeaks and only one (annoying but fixable) rattle. When the front passenger seat belt is not in use, it can rattle against the panel between the doors if it doesn't hang straight. Otherwise the car is as quiet as can be, thankfully.
  • Options
    Alan S.. I do not have any squeaks and rattles on my 05 Limited. It is the quietest car I have ever driven. My neighbor today was outside when I drove up my drive, and he said" that car is so quiet". I have not seen any other post with any noise problems with the Avalon. Hope nobody is having any. I don't hear anything.
    Thanks for your post,
    RONN
    PS I did have to fix the seat belt on the passenger side as it was hitting the panel. It is fine now..just needed adjusting.
  • Options
    solara00solara00 Member Posts: 81
    Hi Chipmunk: Someone may have already answered this, but I'll give it a shot. Like its name states, it's essentially a bar of clay.

You can buy it at Autozone I think, or I get mine from www.zainostore.com. From Zaino (about $17) you get 2 bars in a plastic jar each a little smaller than a deck of cards. One bar should do an Avalon-sized car.

You wash your car well, then spray on a lubricant, and then rub the claybar all over the car. It is somewhat sticky and picks up rail dust, oil, tree sap, and other residue left on your car even after a good washing.

If you use it correctly, you will get a SQUEAKY clean car that is now ready to be polished or waxed. When you rub your hand over a "clayed" surface, it will be as smooth as can be. Zaino and others recommend once a year claying. And they especially recommend it for a new car, before you put on the first coats of polish or wax.

Even the newest, cleanest car on the dealer's lot will not be as clean as a car clayed. I highly recommend it. It's also good, if over time, you get a lot of tree sap, oil, or other things on your car that soap and water can't get off alone.

One note of caution: The instructions will tell you that if you drop the bar on the ground, you MUST throw it away and get a new bar. If you don't, you will be claying your car with any debris that was on the ground where the claybar fell. Not good....

Sorry for the long explanation....claying takes about an hour, but highly worth the effort IMO!
  • Options
    I don't know what they are talking about. They also say the best quality of all, then this squeaks and rattles that I never had on any of my other three Avalons nor this 2005, nor my wifes Camry or sons Corolla. Could they mean the seat belt when it hit the side which I also adjusted. Seemed strange to me if they consider that a squeak and rattle. They said Pre-production car, so maybe in that one. I do believe 99% of the Avalon owners will tell you no squeaks and rattles. This Avalon is even built tighter.
  • Options
    Alan.. Here is the Overall Build Quality. Avalon beats them all by far. So squeaks and Rattles doesn't compute. Once again they were testing a pre-production car, which means the production car is even better. The other brands weren't pre-production cars, they have been around longer and still couldn't beat the Avalon in almost every category.
    Overall Build Quality
    Vehicle Score Rank
    2005 Toyota Avalon Limited 8.7 ranked #1
    2005 Chrysler 300 Limited 7.3 " #2
    2005 Ford Five Hundred Limited 7.0 ranked #3
    2005 Buick LaCrosse CXS 6.3 4 ranked #4
  • Options
    Thank you for the information about the clay bar.