Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skip-Shift in a 645-hp Supercar - 2015 Dodge Viper GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,112
edited October 2015 in Dodge
imageSkip-Shift in a 645-hp Supercar - 2015 Dodge Viper GT Long-Term Road Test

Even with over 600 horsepower, our long-term 2015 Dodge Viper still has to deal with a Skip Shift feature, designed to give it better fuel economy in the city. Luckily, it's not that intrusive.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ebeaudoinebeaudoin NE IllinoisPosts: 509
    I can't believe skip-shift makes it through the EPA. It just seems so ridiculous to me. I know automatic cars skip all the time, but with a stick it seems like cheating.
  • daryleasondaryleason TexasPosts: 501
    Skip-shift sounds like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. It's a manual. There shouldn't be any "lock out" for any gear other than reverse, and that's just to keep you from dropping it from 5th (on a 5 Speed) down into Reverse while trying to pass. I had a buddy with an S-10 that didn't have a working Reverse Lockout. We found out what happens when you drop a 5 Speed from 5th into Reverse on an over-pass at 60 mph. The truck felt like it got sucked to the ground, Reverse got stripped out, and all sorts of Hell broke loose sound wise.
  • subatomicsubatomic Posts: 140
    The Mustang is the only American V-8 powered performance car that does not use a skip-shift mechanism in the manual transmission. For this reason, I have great respect for the Mustang. The Corvette, Camaro, Challenger and Viper all use skip-shift.
  • nagantnagant Posts: 176
    "Loud pedal"????? Is this now a 1966 GTO advertisement?