Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Honda Accord Defective Piston Rings - Outside of Warranty

winne15winne15 Member Posts: 1
edited December 2017 in Honda
I just recently learned that my car (2009 Honda Accord, 4 cyl.) was part of a recall for defective piston rings. Because of this, Honda extended the warranty to 8 years from the purchase date or 125,000 miles, whichever came first. Unfortunately I did not know about this until today, and the problem didn't appear until I had exceeded the mileage anyway. My car has unusually excessive oil consumption -- last month, after 4,000 miles of driving I had almost zero oil in my car. I've been told that since Honda won't cover me due to mileage, my only option to fix the problem is to pay $3500-4000 for an engine rebuild.

My question is whether to trade in my car and avoid dealing with having to spend money on more oil and spark plugs, or if I should just keep the car. The car is paid off, and since I'm saving for grad school, I'm hesitant to spend the money I've saved to get a different car but I don't want to keep putting money into this car if it could get much worse over time.

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I've never heard of this.

How much oil are you using? If it isn't that bad, I would check the oil level often and just add oil.

It can go a long way like that.
  • gerald83gerald83 Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    i have a 2008 accord and had my piston rings replaced under warranty. Fast forward to today and I am using oil all over again like before. I suspect the replacement rings were no different than the original oem ones. Something to consider in rebuilding the motor. You may want aftermarket ones. For now don't sweat it check the oil and ad as needed. 
  • Kingess2009Kingess2009 Member Posts: 3

I have a 2009 Honda Accord EXL 4 cylinder that has only 98000 and has been meticulously maintained. My car is burning oil very excessively where my oil light has come on twice in 10 days and I have had to add oil(. Two quarts so The engine in this Accord is actually defective which is why the warranty was extended but I never received a notice about the rings on my Honda Accord needing to be replaced so now Honda said we aren’t going to pay as u are out of Warrenty. We must all band together and force them to pay for this very expensive engine repair on 2008 -2010 Honda Accord On certain engInes

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,737
    Two quarts in ten days? That has to be leaking. That amount of oil would foul the spark plugs and cause misfiring.

I have had the leaking part checked out and the Honda Accords from 2009 Have an excessive oil burning issue coming from a defective engine that the oil rings aren’t sealing properly and must be replaced. Honda was sued for covering this up and extended the Warranty on this car until 125k miles and 8 years. Also my tailpipe is very black which indicates that the car is burning the oil through the exhaust. A leak is a much easier fix as u would replace the valve cover gasket or PCV valve but that has all been checked out.

If that much oil is going through the engine, you would have clouds of blue smoke from the exhaust, black soot in the tailpipe isn't what we would normally associate to an oil burning condition. How many miles have you driven over the last few weeks?

I am now tracking my miles after I had the oil changed two weeks ago and I have currently driven about two hundred miles so I will see how much oil it is burning

Ok, keep us updated.