Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2016 Chevrolet Colorado Duramax Road Test | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2015 in Chevrolet
Diesel fans have something to be excited about: the addition of a four-cylinder turbodiesel engine to the midsize 2016 Chevrolet Colorado pickup. The Duramax engine is more than just the only game in town. This diesel is genuinely well executed and gives truck shoppers yet another option to consider if they need substantial towing and hauling capability in a midsize package.

2016 Chevrolet Colorado Duramax Road Test

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tacomamudpittacomamudpit Member Posts: 65
    Article Quote: The diesel engine adds a not-inconsiderable $3,730 to the sticker over a comparably configured V6 model, bringing the Duramax's minimum price of entry to just under $36,000 - Done some looking online at dealers @ minimum price of entry or "under" $36K (I'm not sure what minimum price of entry means? What trim level, Steel Wheels, no S/F, no options @ $36K?) I'm thinking a properly (but even conservativley) optioned out 4WD LT 2.8 Diesel is going to push $40K all day long? Local dealers here have V6 GAS LT Colorado's optioned at $36-39K(not a diesel). If anyone gets more price data please post.
  • Options
    csubowtiecsubowtie Member Posts: 143
    The article discussed the "minimum price of entry", i.e. the diesel engine is only available with the crew-cab, upper trim levels. So you are getting a well optioned truck to begin with, then add the diesel. The cheapest available configuration comes in around $36k. That is also the listed price. Whether or not they are selling for that is debatable. Fullsize trucks regularly sell for $10k under the MSRP. But my local dealerships can't even keep a Colorado on the lot long enough to test drive one. They are selling everyone they can get and there is a waiting list, and reports are that even before the diesel truck hits the market GM has the plant maxed out trying to meet the demand, and still not keeping up. So these trucks could very well be selling for the full price, but with such a demand, it's clearly a fair price to the market. These trucks are essentially equivalent to a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck from decades ago in terms of capability (literally a 3/4 ton payload capacity, 7700 lbs towing), but with all the bells and whistles of a mid-level luxury car.
  • Options
    5vzfe5vzfe Member Posts: 161
    GM did a great job on the new Colorado/Canyons, they look great and offer a ton of usability at a reasonable size. But I would buy a Tacoma over those trucks, since you can get a V6/6 speed manual combo, even on most double cab trims, and Toyota offers greater off road ability from the factory. For me, the hauling/towing deficit isn't a big deal, I don't tow, and the heaviest thing I carry is a ATV, which a Tacoma can definitely handle. Going up to my remote camping spots is what could be a real challenge for a stock Colorado/Canyon - I don't want to remove things and buy a lift for a brand new vehicle, when one is already offered for similar money. That diesel option is killer though. Toyota is going to have a rough time with battling that option. Overall, you really can't go wrong choosing a new mid size pickup in my opinion. There's a model for pretty much everyone. Unless you want a work truck, then you're screwed.
  • Options
    thorniethornie Member Posts: 1
    I have been considering a 2016 Tacoma above any other; but this, now with the diesel, "hello Colorado!"