Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2015 Audi A3 Long-Term Road Test - Wrap-Up

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2015 in Audi
image2015 Audi A3 Long-Term Road Test - Wrap-Up

Our Long-Term Test of the 2015 Audi A3 is complete after one year and 20,300 miles. Here's our summary of how the new compact luxury sedan fared over 12 months.

Read the full story here

Comments

• joepawlickijoepawlicki Member Posts: 7
    really curious of overall handling thoughts. a comparison against the 1.8 T without AWD would be much appreciated.
  • waygrabowwaygrabow Member Posts: 214
    We had an A3 as a loaner for several days while our A4 was being serviced. While the A3 is a nice car, it is not competition for the A4.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    I wonder why the depreciation was so high, especially compared to the Merc.
  • tom911tom911 Member Posts: 63
    "We paid $379 for that service but it wasn't our only out-of-pocket A3 expense.
    Additional maintenance costs on the Audi added another $1,399"

So a total of $1780 for one year ($150 per month) of ownership not counting depreciation ?? OUCH!!
  • patinthecitypatinthecity Member Posts: 40
    I drove around in a '16 VW Jetta SE rental last week with the same entry-level 1.8T engine and same 6-speed Tiptronic automatic and thought to myself, this is probably what the entry-level A3 feels like mostly albeit the shoddy construction and hard plastics.
    That 1.8 has some serious get up and go, btw.
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    With the steep depreciation after one year it seems like buying lightly used is the right strategy to get into an A3. Though those maintenance costs are scary for a new(ish) entry-luxury car.
  • jakek66jakek66 Member Posts: 60
    A3 vs A4 really depends on what you want. A4 in this current model sells for about the same price. It isn't as tech friendly though and has some dated parts for infotainment/etc. Get more for your money with the A3 but more car with the A4. A4 will be replaced with a newer more expensive model in early 2017 so if you want the latest, don't buy a A4.

A3 vs GTI is a harder sale though. I drove both and I thought the A3 was too small without a hatch option. Ended up in a GTI fully loaded. Not that much cheaper than this (about $3000 sticker, maybe $5000 after discounts), but overall has more equipment. GTI also has a better following thats more developed for anything aftermarket. A3 is more of just a start to get in an Audi.
  • hangtimehangtime Member Posts: 2
    @Tom911, yeah always expect to have an unfortunate parking incident and blown tire every year. (insert sarcasm)
    Being more realistic, most cars need an oil change every 5K, where the A3 needs it every 10K. Still a little pricy at the equivalent $180 per oil change but was it only an oil change?