Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Where's the Front Bin? - 2015 Nissan Murano Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2015 in Nissan
imageWhere's the Front Bin? - 2015 Nissan Murano Long-Term Road Test

The interior of the 2015 Nissan Murano is a quiet and comfortable place to spend time. But it lacks a proper front storage cubby.

Read the full story here

Comments

• daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    First, after having a wife and child, I've learned that you NEVER have enough space in a vehicle. My wife and son will fill whatever I own to capacity.
    Second, it seems like a lot of manufacturers waste usable space for form over function. I noticed that on a friend's Ram 2500 SLT Laramie Crew-Cab. The Console is HUGE, but waste's a lot of usable space. Frankly, I'd rather have a 40/20/40 Split Bench with flip up console over Captain's chairs with a fixed console because of that.
  • longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    "The above photo is a reenactment of the events that took place. And highlights the surprising amount of clutter I carry with me everywhere I go."

You guys need a couple of European shoulder bags like the guy in the Progressive commercial.
  • wtgkb8wtgkb8 Member Posts: 18
    edited November 2015
    There are two storage cubbies in the center console by your right leg (driver's side) and left leg (passenger side). Some of that stuff could fit there as they don't seem to be used in the pic posted. As for sunglasses, there is a dedicated sunglass holder above by the map lights. Also, why would you not have the vehicle keys in a pocket or purse? That's the point of keyless entry/ignition...they never have to leave your pocket or purse. You mentioned the center arm rest bin, there is a shelf in there than can be moved forward to put some of that stuff in as well...and not deep into the rest of the center storage area.
  • 500rwhp500rwhp Member Posts: 99
    wtgkb8 said:

There are two storage cubbies in the center console by your right leg (driver's side) and left leg (passenger side). Some of that stuff could fit there as they don't seem to be used in the pic posted. As for sunglasses, there is a dedicated sunglass holder above by the map lights. Also, why would you not have the vehicle keys in a pocket or purse? That's the point of keyless entry/ignition...they never have to leave your pocket or purse. You mentioned the center arm rest bin, there is a shelf in there than can be moved forward to put some of that stuff in as well...and not deep into the rest of the center storage area.

Why would I keep my keys in my pocket...I have 8 keys on my keychain and that's just uncomfortable when sitting. And I'm a guy, so you can keep the purse. My F150 can store 2 cups, 4 phones, 3 sets of keys, and a small pet in the center storage space, not including the center console, which holds a small child. I've rented numerous Nissans and this problem seems pervasive in the brand,
    edited November 2015
    I have 11 keys on my key chain (plus the key fob) and have not once been uncomfortable driving my 2015 Murano while keeping them in my front pocket (I mentioned purse for the ladies). I also keep my wallet in my back pocket...also not uncomfortable while driving. I have my work badge on a lanyard (no need to store it anywhere)...and have my phone (Galaxy S5) in the compartment by the USB port as it fits perfectly. Since Bluetooth is all the connectivity this vehicle needs with Android...no cables to deal with in a normal situation. I still have room for 2 drinks there...tons of room under center arm rest...room in the center storage areas I described earlier...and plenty of room for stuff in the door pockets, including additional drinks. I was merely pointing out to the test editor that there are storage areas that are available that were not used in this blog entry. The F150 is a much larger and wider vehicle so it better have more available storage.
  • 5vzfe5vzfe Member Posts: 161
    edited November 2015
    I have to take my keys out of my pocket and use one to start the car like I was raised in some barn. Then they just hang there from the ignition. You all are lucky you can hide those metal things out of sight somewhere... ;)
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    edited November 2015
    Why do you people have such huge keychains? I have at most ONE non-car key on my keychain - to my house's front door. I've read that having a lot of weight hanging down from the ignition will eventually screw up the ignition. (Maybe only a concern after year 10?) I also have a very thin wallet and only stores about 5 cards. I normally don't even need to take anything out of my pockets. when I drive.
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    Same here, everything stays in my pockets...it's just my preferred routine. Phone (Note5, not small) and car fob in left front, house keys & wallet in right front. Granted, I intentionally avoid ever having the dreaded "Costanza wallet"...minimalism is the goal for me.
    schen72 said:

Why do you people have such huge keychains? I have at most ONE non-car key on my keychain - to my house's front door. I've read that having a lot of weight hanging down from the ignition will eventually screw up the ignition. (Maybe only a concern after year 10?) I also have a very thin wallet and only stores about 5 cards. I normally don't even need to take anything out of my pockets. when I drive.

Yah...they can wear out the key cylinders over time. However...this is a non-issue with key-less ignition which I have owned for over 8 yrs now in 3 different Nissans. I have had no issues with their systems either.