Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently bought/leased a new car online and requested a home delivery due to coronavirus? A reporter would like to speak to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 4/5 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Leased a 2016 Ford Explorer Sport today for $499 a month, $0 down...

howie07howie07 Posts: 7
I went to a Ford dealer today and asked what the monthly lease payment would be on an Explorer Sport on their lot with an msrp of $46165, putting $0 down (36/12 in NJ). The salesman came back and said $615 a month and I said it didn’t fit in my budget, then the sales manager came over and was ready to compromise around $550 a month with adding $1500 down. I told him I appreciated his willingness to negotiate closer to my range, but I would have to think about it. He asked me to write down my ideal number and I wrote $515 a month with $0 down. He spoke with his manager and they accepted it. I said thank you so much, I'll almost definitely come back within a week or two and take the deal, but had to discuss it with my wife. I was headed toward the door and he came back with a paper that said $499 a month with $0 down, good for today only. No question this was a sales pressure tactic but it was $116 a month less then their original offer, $4176 over 3 years. I shook his hand and said yes. For the next 3 years I'll be driving a $46,000 car which cost me about $18000. I didn't plan to lease a new car today, but this guy made it happen.

Question to the Edmunds community, was it a great deal, good deal, or mediocre deal considering they started the negotiation at full sticker price? Looks like they used .57 residual and the rent charge came out to $558 so the money factor was .000221. These are the numbers from the lease agreement:

msrp: 46165
gross cap cost: 45218
cap cost reduction: 1499
adjusted cap cost: 43719
residual value: 26314
depreciation: 17405
rent charge: 558
total of payments: 17964
499 a month

Comments

• marcie123marcie123 Posts: 10
    howie07 said:
    I went to a Ford dealer today and asked what the monthly lease payment would be on an Explorer Sport on their lot with an msrp of $46165, putting $0 down (36/12 in NJ). The salesman came back and said $615 a month and I said it didn’t fit in my budget, then the sales manager came over and was ready to compromise around $550 a month with adding $1500 down. I told him I appreciated his willingness to negotiate closer to my range, but I would have to think about it. He asked me to write down my ideal number and I wrote $515 a month with $0 down. He spoke with his manager and they accepted it. I said thank you so much, I'll almost definitely come back within a week or two and take the deal, but had to discuss it with my wife. I was headed toward the door and he came back with a paper that said $499 a month with $0 down, good for today only. No question this was a sales pressure tactic but it was $116 a month less then their original offer, $4176 over 3 years. I shook his hand and said yes. For the next 3 years I'll be driving a $46,000 car which cost me about $18000. I didn't plan to lease a new car today, but this guy made it happen. Question to the Edmunds community, was it a great deal, good deal, or mediocre deal considering they started the negotiation at full sticker price? Looks like they used .57 residual and the rent charge came out to $558 so the money factor was .000221. These are the numbers from the lease agreement: msrp: 46165 gross cap cost: 45218 cap cost reduction: 1499 adjusted cap cost: 43719 residual value: 26314 depreciation: 17405 rent charge: 558 total of payments: 17964 499 a month
    What dealership did you go to?