Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

SH-AWD Is Pretty Cool - 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2015 in Acura
imageSH-AWD Is Pretty Cool - 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Long-Term Road Test

The 2015 Acura TLX is pretty sporty to drive thanks to its sophisticated all-wheel-drive system.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    subatomicsubatomic Member Posts: 140
    SH-AWD is definitely a jewel in the Acura crown. I always believed that this performance enhancing system was introduced to give Acura more credibility with enthusiasts who favor rear wheel drive sedans (not so much for people living in the snow belt), especially in light of the fact that most of Acura's models are built on front wheel drive platforms.
  • Options
    fandswfandsw Member Posts: 37
    Let me correct that for you: "...especially in light of the fact that all of Acura's models are built on front wheel drive platforms."
  • Options
    banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    edited November 2015
    If SH-AWD is so cool why can't the car handle as good or better than RWD BMWs?
  • Options
    fandsw said:

Let me correct that for you: "...especially in light of the fact that all of Acura's models are built on front wheel drive platforms."

@fandsw,
    I said "most" of Acura's models are built on front wheel drive platforms, because the original NSX and current NSX are rear wheel drive. No correction is needed.

• Options
    @banhugh,
    Acura chooses to equip its models with all season tires instead of summer performance tires (even the new NSX). Until a comparison can be made between a BMW and an Acura equipped with SH-AWD and similar horsepower on the exact same type of tires, I am not convinced that the BMW would be superior in handling. Let's level the playing field in terms of the tires and horsepower and then decide.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    @banhugh
    BMW is no longer the king of performance handling sedans. Most Caddies today can keep up with a BMW and the Caddy V series will have BMW (even the M) for lunch on a track. As for Acura, if they had the same shoes, as subatomic says, Acura may surprise you. The key to SH-AWD is to apply power in a turn so the system will work. If you lift then it will handle like any other front drive car.