Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

One Week, One Charge - 2014 BMW i3 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2015 in BMW
imageOne Week, One Charge - 2014 BMW i3 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds editor James Riswick signed out the BMW i3 for a week and wouldn't be able to recharge it. How did it go?

Read the full story here

Comments

• bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Is it really that hard to find chage points in LA? During some of that running around to auto show events there was absolutely no opportunity to plug in for 30 minutes or an hour? I see them frequently around Chicago (there are two at a Walgreens less than a mile from my condo) and I don't even have an electric car to make me more aware.
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509

Is it really that hard to find chage points in LA? During some of that running around to auto show events there was absolutely no opportunity to plug in for 30 minutes or an hour? I see them frequently around Chicago (there are two at a Walgreens less than a mile from my condo) and I don't even have an electric car to make me more aware.

I think he was trying to demonstrate a point, that you can, in fact, run an extended-range electric car quite a ways without a charge if you're smart. There's no doubt plenty of charge points in Southern California.
  • markedwardsmarkedwards Member Posts: 32
    The scenario here is pretty close to my typical use. I average 10 miles a day in stop and go traffic on low-speed city streets. Exactly why I bought the i3. I don't need more than a single charge a week. I didn't bother with the Rex because we were already a 2-car household so you could say I already had a range extender in the form of an E90 328i.