Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Aviator Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• skybo1966skybo1966 Member Posts: 4
    Do you know if there is a way that I can correct this without having to take it to the dealer? I am having to call a tow truck sometime this morning otherwise, I can't get it out of my garage.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Sounds like you may not have reconnected it properly or somehow the battery drained while it was disconnected. You should also check for a blown fuse in the positive battery line or in the large fuse box under the hood. You might have shorted it taking it off.
  • skybo1966skybo1966 Member Posts: 4
    I had the Aviator towed to the local dealership and the service manager told me the PCM had gone bad. Supposedly this part is the "brains" of the computer system. I have to say I am more than a little skeptical about this diagnosis since I stood right beside the garage bay and watched them work on the car. The mechanic had it started in literally just a few minutes. I watched them drive my car out of the garage area as well. However, the good news for me was that this part is covered under warranty for 8 years and 80,000 miles, so there will be no cost to me with the exception of the tow bill. The service manager actually told me that Ford would reimburse that cost as well. In my heart of hearts, I truly think that by taking the terminal off the battery caused the security system to disallow the ignition to engage. I'm not mechanically inclined by any means so this is just my opinion. I hope this helps someone else who might have the same problem in the future.
  • linc2004linc2004 Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem in my 2004 Aviator, where the CD player would cycle when I started the car. Initially it occured once or twice a month, but as the car aged (its now almost 4 years old) it happened almost every day. Since my car was still under warranty Lincoln did replace my radio/CD player, but the problem persisted. Similar to another individual that responded in this forum, I too had to replaced the battery recently since it died. Since then the radio/CD player has worked fine: It hasn't cycled once! I can explain why, but looking back, as the battery aged the number of CD player cycling occurances increased. It's got to be more than a coincidence that a new battery (in at least 2 cases) has resolved this problem!
  • asemaasema Member Posts: 33
    I just got the 60K service done (more like the 61,881 mile service at this point :)
    just for reference, if anyone wants to know what was done, and the cost, here's the list.
    rotate tires, oil change, top off all fluids, lubricate chassis etc, change front and rear differential fluids, service transfer case, replace fuel filter, replace air filter, drain and fill radiator, power flush brake fluid, new wiper blades (front and rear).
    total cost out the door was $633.83.
    Got it done from an independent service place in chantilly, VA.
  • fensrfensr Member Posts: 1
    OMG!! The '03 Aviator sat in the driveway all weekend. When I lifted the glass portion of the tailgate I noticed a huge vertical crack from the glass to the hem, just to the left of the Lincloln emblem. There is no evidence of impact anywhere on the gate ... nothing. It is as if it cracked when it was closed as either the entire gate or only the glass portion. I only hope that the dealer will be honest with their assesment of the damage. Better yet, I am hoping someone else has heard of this problem.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Just for grins, check out what Edmunds says your "factory recommended" service should cost for your zip code:

Edmunds Maintenance Guide
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    very common on aviators and explorers. i think this is why they went to the liftglass only openingh later on.

we have an explorer and ours cracked at about 2.5 years old was replaced after warranty.

cracked again 4 months or so out of warranty they fixed it gain thankfully.
  • brob247brob247 Member Posts: 1
    I noticed the same problem this week on my 04 Aviator. We're still under warranty and the dealership is looking at it today. I'm hoping that they've fixed the defect in the part.
  • asemaasema Member Posts: 33
    Ha!
    $184 for the 60K service. They should add a fine print saying "actual costs will be atleast 3x the cost shown here."
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It just says (in the fine print) "The facility that services your vehicle may perform different, greater, or fewer procedures that can affect the cost you incur."

Most service writers get a commission, so you really do have to hang on to your billfold when going in for service. :surprise:
  • atvmudratatvmudrat Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know what could be causing the rear A/C to be making a click, click, click noise? It doesn't matter if it is turned on or off. It just clicks, clicks, clicks. It's fairly loud and I was wondering:

1. If this is a known technical issue?
    2. Any suggestions as to how to resolve the problems.

Thank you ;)
    Darla
    Hi,

My Aviator has recently been displaying the "door ajar" message when I first crank up. I open and close all the doors but the warning message will not go away. It happens about 25% of the time and when it occurs, the interior lights stay on.

Does anyone know what could be causing this problem?
    Are there any known technical service bulletins regarding this issue?

Thank you for helping a lady in distress :blush:

Darla
    It's one of the door sensors. Try spraying WD40 in the latch.
    had the same problem on an explorer.
    got the switch in one of the door changed, then happened again. they did a little more analysis and replaced some wires or something.
    Thank you for the information. Yikes! I hope I don't need a switch. Hopefully the WD40 mentioned earlier will do the trick :)
  • dodge01dodge01 Member Posts: 12
    Wife leaves for work this morning (04 Aviator), comes right back in and says " there is a huge crack in the back of my car" Right away I remember this post on Edmonds. I go out and sure enough there is a crack all the way thru the rear lift gate. It's the upper section for the glass.

I have never heard of this on any car but according to you folks here it is quite common and off course we are out of warranty. Anyone have to have this fixed out of warranty?? If so, what was the cost?

Should have bought a Lexus!
    You can ask your dealer for an AWA - After Warranty Adjustment. The dealer and Ford may cover all or part of the repair, especially for a known problem like this but it's totally up to the dealer to request it. Lincolns are allowed 2 AWAs.
    i had an explorer fixed under warranty for the same reason. it failed under warranty and was replaced, then it failed out of warranty and was replaced.
  • abtrmanabtrman Member Posts: 35
    Wow! I have been away for awhile so I missed seeing all these posts.I too have noticed this crack in my 04 Av. I first noticed the emblem becoming cloudy.It was actually becoming unglued.In addition to this I always heard an unusual squeak from the cargo area that I could never identify.In retrospect I believe there is excess flexing of the tailgate.That is probably what was causing the decal to loosen and eventually led to a fatigue-crack.I hadn't noticed until recently,but the squeak is now gone.Coincidence? I think not.I have 60K on her. and I purchased the extended warranty but I do not believe it covers plasitic body parts.So it looks like I'll have to fight it out.Thanks to all of you! There is strength in numbers!
  • gpecoulasgpecoulas Member Posts: 1
    When full defrost is selected, I still have air comming out from the floor. Took it to the dealer and the mechanic told me he checked out all the Aviators and Navigatord in the lot and they also do it. he says its set up that way for circulation purposes. I told him I have driven many cars and I have never seen that on any other models. Has anybody heard of this jive before??
  • bajan329bajan329 Member Posts: 1
    hi guys, my 03 aviator power mirrors stopped working. I changed the switch and didn't help. Has anyone had this problem before? They only work when put in reverse and they automatically tilt
  • quemfalaquemfala Member Posts: 107
    I cannot find any info about this item in the manual. We had just picked up the car from the shop where we had taken it for a "check adv track" warning light. (Could be needing a new brake booster, but that's another story.) That night when I used the remote to open the doors the fog lights came on to light the path. Hit me on the side of the head, but if this is a feature I never knew about it. I'm guessing it has something to do with the position of the headlight switch on the dash. In the shop they shut everything down so the lights don't stay on. When I re-set my preferences I couldn't get the lights to come on again. Are the aliens coming or can't I read (or find in) the manual? Maybe it's my "half-heimers"!

THANX

"Life is Better at the Beach!"
  • dss1dss1 Member Posts: 1
    My '03 Aviator with 23,000 miles just developed a crack on the plastic part of the tailgate to the left of the Lincoln medallion and below the window. This is clearly a defect and I have seen other posts about this problem.
    There was no impact and this developed overnight.
    I am very displeased that Ford will not recognize this as a defect!!!
    very common problem.

happended on my explorer twice.

once in warranty, once out of warranty, less than a year after replacement

they should fix it for free since it is so common.

wont hurt to ask
  • noy3noy3 Member Posts: 1
    oh yes i have had the same problem.i bought my car at this small dealership,and my husband noticed the crack but when i looked at.I couldn't really tell cause it was almost a perfect crack.my husband advised the dealer and he said its supposed to look like that but it was hard to tell cause when we bought our car it was late and dark so we didn't have much light.when we took it home that's when we new that it was
    really a crack we called the dealer and told him how does he sell cars and don't even know that it was a crack.but he told me replace and he did so that made us happy.other than that.we love our car.it's so spacious.drives really smooth.
  • stevoh2ostevoh2o Member Posts: 1
    Have a '03 Aviator with 65K and noticed a growl coming from the back end. Had tires rotated and balanced - but tech says must be a bearing. Took to my mechanic and the growl does not change in swerving maneuvers. He says unfortunately its a bearing in the differential and those are completely enclosed and will have to drop out the back end and total replace for $1,300. Had a '98 Mountaineer and drove until 115K with no drivetrain issues what so ever.
    Anyone else experiencing this? Mechanic had a similar repair on '03 Explorer. Bearings should not be going out in the differential at 65K. Cripes!

Thanks for insight.

Steve
    It's possible, but I'd definitely get a second opinion. Haven't heard that one before.
  • dgetchjrdgetchjr Member Posts: 1
    to stevoh2o: I am a former auto technician and I purchased a 03 aviator as well.this noise occured on my aviator also app 55mph and up.It ended up being a rear wheel bearing..alot cheaper than a rear differential..The swerving technique usually helps justify the wheel bearing(alters the noise by loading the bearing)my did not..this is a common issue.there are bulletins out there for this noise..please have a second tech look at this before you spend 1300 and still have the noise..i think the bearing is like 150 and takes app 1 hour to replace(verify and replace) good luck..p.s your emergency brake pads are inside the rotor and if rusty may get damaged when they take the rotors off..just a little fyi..good luck
  • wjrnflawjrnfla Member Posts: 1
    I am about to have my third tail gate replacement installed. I was not aware that so many people had the same problem. I have 4k miles left on my warranty. Is there anything we can do to have Ford pay for this after the warranty expires?
    Your dealer can request an AWA - After Warranty Adjustment that would defray at least some of the cost. Lincoln vehicles are allowed 2 AWAs in their lifetime, Ford/Mercury gets 1. But it's totally up to the dealer to request it. In this case I think you would get some help at least. If it's been less than 1 year since the last one was installed it may fall under the Ford parts warranty, but I'm not sure if that's still valid. Bottom line - complain to the dealer and ask for an AWA.

Interestingly - we haven't had this problem on our 2003 (4.5 years, 55K). Knock on wud.
  • marta5marta5 Member Posts: 3
    hi
    Whats wrong with my break light?They DO NOT work when i drive or back up but they DO work when the car is in park?? :confuse:
    What is a "break light"? Is that a light on the dash that comes on when something is broken???
  • marta5marta5 Member Posts: 3
    break light is the stop light..when u press on breaks to stop or slow down ,the rear lights comes on..in my case they dont but when the car is park they do work
    I was being sarcastic - it's BRAKE, not BREAK. Cars have brakes and brake lights. When you break something it's broken.

Never heard of that problem - you'll have to take it to the dealer or check the wiring yourself.
  • uvsrw3uvsrw3 Member Posts: 1
    I think this is what is going on with my 03 aviator. I got the misfire flashing engine light and had it towed to the dealer in Jan 08. 2 coils were replaced. prior to the misfire, I had complained of poor excelleration, hesitation, etc. I was told at that time they could detect a problem.

The misfire stopped after the repair but two days later, I was still having the hesitation/excelleration issues. No lights or warning are displaying on the dash but beeping noise comes and goes randomly. I took it back to the dealer in March 08 and was told there was an vacumn leak and the throttle body was gummed up. A couple of hundred $$ later, it's still doing the same thing if not worse. Not only am I getting the random beeping, the hesitation but now a new trick - clacking/clicking noise when I excelate. I'm taking it back to the dealer on Monday and boy am I going to put on a show for them. I love my vehicle but it needs to be fixed properly. Thank goodness I got an extended warranty. Thanks so much for sharing your experience. It has definately given me some insight on what the problem truly may be.
  • waamanwaaman Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2003 Aviator Kitty Hawk Edition. No major problems to 80K. However, now I am experiencing a brake gear shift release problem. When in park, sometimes, I cannot move the console gear shift our of park to drive. I do hear the clicking when the brake pedal is depressed but it stays locked. It does seems to try to engage but doesn't catch all the time. The dealer said that it might be the gear release solenoid. So it's a $400.00 gamble. I would hate to be in an emergency situation with this problem. Any advice?
    Warren
  • abtrmanabtrman Member Posts: 35
    Hey Warren, this is Warren also.I have the same problem with my 04 with 70k.My gear shift moves up and down vertically.Does yours? I think this may be to blame.When I step on the brake, push the button and shift in perfect unison,no problem. Even the slightest hesitation,problem.I have the extended warranty but I opted for the $100 deductible. At that rate every covered repair adds up. I'll be taking it in soon. I don't want to be stranded in an emergency situation.It's odd that they didn't mention the neautral safety switch as a possible cause.I've had two chevys and two fords that have exhibited the same symptoms.I'll keep you posted.
  • waamanwaaman Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for your response. My gear shift is in the middle console. I am procrastinating for now since it works 90% of the time. So I am still investigating.
  • chuggz_beerzchuggz_beerz Member Posts: 2
    Warren, I have an 03 Aviator, had the same problem with the gear shift. Unfortunately for me, it finally came loose one day at a gas pump. After about 20 mins of freaking out, I took the thing apart and was able to drive it home. If you pull down the leather piece surrounding the base of the gear shift knob, you will expose a small screw about half way down the base, place the knob so that it sits in place and tighten that screw. It should fix the problem of the knob moving up and down vertically. It did for me. Apparently this screw holds the thing down. It’s a spring loaded mess in there once the knob comes loose. Hope this helps.
  • chuggz_beerzchuggz_beerz Member Posts: 2
    Note to Warren: Be sure that you hold the knob down when pulling down the leather piece on the shifter as the screw may already be loose. This will save you a good deal of trouble because putting the whole thing back together is not that complicated but can be a bit tricky.
  • linc2004linc2004 Member Posts: 3
    My 2004 Aviator intermittently displays a 'Check Park Assist' message when I backup. When the message appears on the dashboard the beeping doesn't work. However, on other occasions it works just fine (beeping and no message)! The owners manual mentions that this display message exists, but it doesn't say why it happens, or what to do when it happens. Can anyone provide details?
  • theresadewitttheresadewitt Member Posts: 3
    Just wanted to know if you had any followups on your post. I have a 2005 Aviator and the same thing is happening to me. The "Check park assist" warning comes up quite often. Is it the sensor going bad?
  • clarksalmoclarksalmo Member Posts: 19
    I had an 04 Aviator. I had the check park assist message come on intermittently many, many times. The dealer replaced the sensors several times and it fixed the problem until the next time a sensor went bad. I probably had 10 sensors in total replaced.
    That was just the tip of the iceberg concerning the problems I had with that vehicle. I had the trim piece on the tailgate crack also. There is a TSB on that problem.
    I had three new transmissions put in before the car had 1700 miles on it.
    There was constantly something wrong with it. I am glad my dealer was so understanding and took good care of me.
    :lemon: Thankfully, I traded that car off and I haven't looked back.
  • jchrpvjchrpv Member Posts: 1
    The problem is not with the ignition coil; that is just a way for Ford to avoid action by the EPA on the emissions warranty.

A Ford Technical Service Bulletin has been issued that identifies the problem with premature valve wear, primarily on the left head of the engine. It appears that this occurs as early as 50,000 miles, but as late as 115,000 miles (as with my engine). The cost of rebuilding the head is equal to replacing the engine with a new one (about $7,000). This affects all Aviator engines as well as some installed in the Mustang and Navigator.

If you get the warning light, move fast because the next thing that will happen is that you will fail your next smog check (if required in your state). In California, this means that you can't sell the car until it is repaired.

Don't expect any help from Ford unless you are under warranty. They seem to have forgotten that you should be able to get at least 250,000 miles before you have to replace an engine.

It was because of this problem and the defect in the Aviator climate control system that I gave up on owning Fords for forty years and finally bought a foreign car. I now have an Acura MDX; although it took a couple of months to get over not having that "Ford" feeling, I am very happy that I made the change.
  • bostoncigarbostoncigar Member Posts: 23
    The problem you are having is that cylinders 7 and 8 are fouled and you need an engine rebuild. The head/valve cover on this V8 comes in two pieces. It fouls around 50k miles and needs to be rebuilt. Ford should recall the engine and fix it gratis. There is a TSB on it. Ask a Lincoln Mercury Dealer and they know the TSB. All engines of this type, Ford puts in Ford Mustang, Navigator and Maruader fail. Mine failed at 52k miles and they covered part of it but not all of it. My 6th and last Ford btw. The dealer will quote $5500 if beyond warranty. They will pick up part of the tab if you push. Time for a class action??
  • bill03bill03 Member Posts: 3
    The Automatic door locks on my '03 Aviator has stopped locking when I first begin moving. The indicator light on the dash says "door ajar" but they are not. As long as the indicator message is on I can not lock the doors. If I drive on the doors automatically lock after about 1/2 mile. I have noticed that the doors generally automatically lock at the same distance or time. If I disable the auto lock feature the doors lock and unlock without a problem.

Has anyone had a similar problem and if so any ideas what the problem is?

Bill
  • aviator87aviator87 Member Posts: 3
    Hello fellow Aviators! I am proud to join the ranks of you all, or am I? LOL. I have a few questions that I would appreciate some answers.

. What is this liftgate crack everyone is talking about?
    . My aviator is AWD. However, I can't figure out how this works, and I do not have the " if equiped " AWD lock, or traction control. So I am assuming that these functions are controlled by the computer at will?
    . Since I am a 2nd owner at 84K does any warranty or AWA apply to me?
    . When I bought my car the I noticed the emissions light one, the dealer said the car needed a tune up. Then when he placed it on a computer, the computer said that a coil had blown? He said this around 200.00 to fix?
    . When I am driving it almost feels like the wheels are on air, and I it really feels like I am gliding on the road other than gripping it.
    . How does the vehicle operate in the snow, getting out of snow etc. My old car explorer would simply drive right out of any snowy condition without shoveling.
    . Heres one. I have owned several cars and last night was like the twighlight zone. My windows inside (all) were dripping wet! and the outside was bone dry. I put the wipers on thinking it was the outside and I was blown away! I was completely blind, the defrost did little to help. Is this normal?

I have to admit reading these horror stories really shakes my faith in my new (used) aviator. But, as a man of faith, I trust the father will keep her in tact.

Well I really would appreciate some responses. You can e-mail me if you choose, tkiellmancoo.ezco@gmail.com

In closing I must say this. It is not right for these big car companies to sell you a car for 50K (I didn't pay this) but you guys did, and spit in your face. The problem is this, one person will not make any waves, but a few hundred thousand or million will! They should be held accountable. We need to lobby congress to pass some stronger laws against this injustice. :)
    Liftgate crack - the area between the bottom of the liftglass and where the gate opens - plastic piece where the logo is, less than a foot tall, plastic - can crack. mine cracked twice replaced under warranty. apparently a common problem.
  • aviator87aviator87 Member Posts: 3
    hey aimtbm :)

thanks for the diagnosis. I appreciate your time.