Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ventilated Seats Get...Hot? - 2015 Ford F-150 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited December 2015 in Ford
imageVentilated Seats Get...Hot? - 2015 Ford F-150 Long-Term Road Test

The ventilated seats in our long-term 2015 Ford F-150 are effective at first, but after a while they become counter-productive.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Interesting. Hadn't considered that possibility.
  • Options
    diondidiondi Member Posts: 71
    Common problem - one of the vents got squished or dislodged. Many F-150 owners have reported this in the F-150 forums. http://www.f150forum.com/f118/cooling-seats-issue-tsb-feedback-304154/
  • Options
    daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    And here I was all set up to make a joke about it. I remember reading though about a guy that designed an in-console cooler that was wired into his car's electrical system. Instead of using fans, it used a process where the cooling was accomplished by fluid movement within a sealed mat. If the technology is efficient enough, you'd think car companies would look at it.

How loud are the fans in the seat? Equal to or louder than the normal AC/Heater blower fan?
  • Options
    mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    Fans don't get hot enough to heat up a seat. I'd imaging it's heat soak setting in on the seat cooling system. A lot of seats that are actually cooled and not just ventilated use the Peltier effect, basically a thermoelectric heat pump. Cool air goes to the seat back and cushion, hot air is exhausted into the cabin. I'd imagine if it's hot and/or there isn't enough air flow the cooling efficiency would decrease.
  • Options
    lewis26lewis26 Member Posts: 7
    Edmund's new policy of requiring adblock to be disabled is BS.

Remove this stupid pop up immediately.
  • Options
    notfastnotfast Member Posts: 93
    lewis26 said:

This will stop me from visiting Edmunds. When I turn off uBlock and reload the page, all the dumb animated ads HAMMER my computer... to the point that I have to close the tab to regain control of Firefox. THIS is why people use Adblockers - I don't mind ads but when they maybe my PC virtually unusable: then it's necessary.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    edited December 2015
    diondi said:

Common problem - one of the vents got squished or dislodged. Many F-150 owners have reported this in the F-150 forums. http://www.f150forum.com/f118/cooling-seats-issue-tsb-feedback-304154/

Great research. Seems like every truck with this feature had the same problem. Ford dealers and Ford customer service, according to the forum, weren't helpful to the early buyers who encountered this problem and denied that there was anything wrong.

Why pretend nothing is wrong when your data is telling you that warranty claims for the problem are stacking up? Customers would appreciate if you just acknowledge there is a defect and admit that you and the supplier are working on a fix but don't have a solution right now. Most customers would appreciate the honesty and probably wait on the fix, it's not like they can't drive the truck with broken seat coolers. Now that the part has been revised repair the problem and return the truck to the customer cleaned and detailed, with a thank you note for patience, a gift card for free oil changes, and a Ford t-shirt on the driver's seat and you will probably have a Ford customer for life.
  • Options
    jaro360jaro360 Member Posts: 5
    notfast said:

lewis26 said:

This will stop me from visiting Edmunds. When I turn off uBlock and reload the page, all the dumb animated ads HAMMER my computer... to the point that I have to close the tab to regain control of Firefox. THIS is why people use Adblockers - I don't mind ads but when they maybe my PC virtually unusable: then it's necessary.
    Ditto, I wont be on Edmunds near as often because the adds will slow down my browser to a crawl.
  • Options
    livoniaboblivoniabob Member Posts: 1
    Ford did a TSB and a new part to "fix" this problem. But while it does keep the seat back's back from getting so hot the seat back cooling still isn't good nor is the heating or comfort!
  • Options
    Texas_DriverTexas_Driver Member Posts: 3

diondi said:

Why pretend nothing is wrong when your data is telling you that warranty claims for the problem are stacking up? Customers would appreciate if you just acknowledge there is a defect and admit that you and the supplier are working on a fix but don't have a solution right now. Most customers would appreciate the honesty and probably wait on the fix, it's not like they can't drive the truck with broken seat coolers. Now that the part has been revised repair the problem and return the truck to the customer cleaned and detailed, with a thank you note for patience, a gift card for free oil changes, and a Ford t-shirt on the driver's seat and you will probably have a Ford customer for life.

^ This, a thousand times this...

I don't expect perfection, I understand that vehicles are mechanical things that break, and that no design is perfect. I suffered through the 2011 MyTouch mess with multiple hard lockups, yet the service from the dealership kept me happy. Free oil changes, updates to the system and free map updates, and good service at the dealership made me feel like Ford and the dealership cared, so I let it go.

The Ford T-Shirt is a good point, why not give more of those out, have people market your product for you!