Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Torn between Highlander 2016 or Pathfinder 2016?

pectin232pectin232 Member Posts: 3
edited December 2015 in Toyota
I believe both vehicles are good. I am wondering if the Pathfinder CVT issues previously in earlier models have been fixed? What both vehicles are nearly the same.. but I somehow prefer the styling of the Pathfinder.

Comments

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Check out Consumer Reports, JD Powers and consumer blogs. I think the answer will become obvious - Highlander.
  • Options
    hlowner1hlowner1 Member Posts: 1
    Berri is correct. Nissans in general are not close to Toyotas in overall reliability. Highlanders are preferable to Pathfinders for that reason. I know because I own a Camry and a HL and had a Maxima in the past.
  • Options
    benito_salinasbenito_salinas Member Posts: 17
    Agree. I also looked at the Pathfinder (and 2016 Pilot EXL w/Nav) and just bought a 2016 XLE. Pathfinders are lower price (was looking at the SL w/TechPackage) since they offer a lot of discounts but I've had Nissan before (and Toyotas, Hondas) and in the end, the reliability, and exterior styling of the Highlander is what I preferred. I think the trans problem is fixed but I did not want to deal with it. I test drove all 3 and did a couple of months of research. The HL had the best solid drive of them all. Pilot has the most space, and the PF has what seems like the more plush interior. On exterior styling, the Pilot minivan looks and PF bland style were negatives.
    In the end, I think it is what you value the most. Of course, since your dropping close to 40k or more, you also want to get the colors, etc you want. Each would change from number 3 on my list to number 1 from week to week. LOL. Again, the final factor was he reliability, and exterior styling of the Highlander is what I considered more important for me. I got a shoreline blue/gray XLE with the options I wanted and I could not be happier with my purchase.
  • Options
    carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    edited January 2016
    Unreliable Nissan with its more unreliable CVT :smile:

No comparison between Highlander and Pathfinder. Just google the total sales of each.
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Better yet - compare reliability
  • Options
    saratogastevesaratogasteve Member Posts: 186
    I considered both cars in 2015 and was thinking I'd only settle for the Pathfinder if I could "steal" the car from the dealer at far below invoice. I ended up with the Highlander for it's feel, fit, finish and reputation. Paid just over $37k for an AWD XLT with a tow hitch. With that said I have to admit my Highlander had a leak in the crank shaft seal that required the entire engine to be lifted. They replaced all the gaskets on the car at 9,000 miles and it took 8 days to complete the job. Today my engine light went on with "check AWD" flashing. I'm without my car once again. hmmmm
  • Options
    mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Well, consider yourself unlucky. Looking at True Delta, CR, JD, the Highlander is extremely reliable. Sorry to hear about yours!
  • Options
    carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760

I considered both cars in 2015 and was thinking I'd only settle for the Pathfinder if I could "steal" the car from the dealer at far below invoice. I ended up with the Highlander for it's feel, fit, finish and reputation. Paid just over $37k for an AWD XLT with a tow hitch. With that said I have to admit my Highlander had a leak in the crank shaft seal that required the entire engine to be lifted. They replaced all the gaskets on the car at 9,000 miles and it took 8 days to complete the job. Today my engine light went on with "check AWD" flashing. I'm without my car once again. hmmmm

LEMON springs to mind B)
  • Options
    parachautopartparachautopart Member Posts: 16
    Both are good. but you must also check others
  • Options
    saratogastevesaratogasteve Member Posts: 186
    mcdawgg said:

Well, consider yourself unlucky. Looking at True Delta, CR, JD, the Highlander is extremely reliable. Sorry to hear about yours!

It's been 6 days at the shop, and they still can't figure out the warning lights going off on my dash board. My car has now spent 14 days in the shop under warranty in it's first 14 months of life. 16 more days and it's officially a "lemon".
  • Options
    feadog003feadog003 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2014 Pathfinder Platinum AWD. Get the Highlander....