Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Highlander Hybrid

1545556575860»

Comments

• Options
    eriweneriwen Member Posts: 15
    Just a warning - my HH has 87000 miles at 5 years and the engine just fell apart. The engine started to sound like a cement mixer, the check engine light came on, the check HVS system warning came on and flipped to check hybrid system. I was stunned. There is a recall, June 29, 2011, on the inverter system that is going to come out to 2006 and 2007 models. Toyota service, of course, says that is not what caused my problems. It seems that when they dropped the oil pan they saw internal damage and a lot of metal chunks.Something let loose in the engine and now they have to take it out to determine the cause and if there was any damage to the main bearings or any oil starvation. The engine (short block/bottom) will probably have to be replaced at a cost of about $5000. I am fighting with them that this is their problem because this should not happen in a Toyota. Of course, over the 60,000 miles warranty so they expect me to "participate" in the cost of the repair. I am livid and don't know if I will ever buy another Toyota. By the way, when they fix this, they will do the recall repair on the hybrid system's Intelligent Power Module in the Hybrid System Inverter. I have filed a complaint with NHTSA.
  • Options
    I heard from customer service at Toyota today. They determined that the valve spring broke in the engine! My local mechanic got my hopes up saying that should be covered under the Power Train warranty - possibly up to 100,000 miles -- but I just did an on-line search and called a different Toyota service and was told the Power Train warranty is still 60 months/60,000 miles. That is quite lousy. Not very happy with that kind of warranty on the engine.
    I am waiting for the manager of the service department to call me with a quote. My local mechanic told me to call him once I get the estimate. I doubt he can help if Toyota was willing to pay half, but I will see.
    I keep thinking, "What if I had been on the interstate doing 70 mph? Would my daughter and I be okay?"
    A TOYOTA!
  • Options
    Toyota stated the valve spring in the cylinder head weakened and broke off which caused internal damage. The short block and both cylinder heads need to be replaced at a cost of $11,000. I am waiting to see what Toyota is going to do and I have written a follow up letter with the new information to NHTSA since I filed a claim when I was originally told something came loose in the engine.
  • Options
    sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    I don't see why you think Toyota owes you anything. Your truck was out of warrantee when the engine blew. They owe you nothing.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    edited July 2011
    Toyota, the industry, opened this "can of worms" by providing extended warranty services at no fee for long term valued customers. It is my opinion that factories should provide free service for any abnormal failure event, any failure not attributable to owner abuse or normal wear and tear, like "this" one.
  • Options
    So anything that goes wrong as long as you own the car as long as it is not attributable to "owner abuse or normal wear and tear" should be covered by Toyota? There was a clearly specified warranty that came with the vehicle. Expecting any car company to make exceptions after that warranty has expired is absurd. If an individual dealer wants to cut you a break because you are a valued customer, that is something else. Besides, who determines who is a "long term valued customer" and what constitutes "owner abuse"? Maybe you accelerate at full speed every time you leave a stoplight. Maybe you live at the beach and drive on sand everyday. Maybe you tow a boat that is too big for the car. Maybe you let the oil run down too far and didn't realize it for 5K miles. How far outside the warranty should they provide "free service for any abnormal failure event" anyway - 5K miles? 20K miles? 100K miles? forever? Careful, you are walking onto quite the slippery slope. Buy an extended warranty next time if you don't trust the product you purchased.
  • Options
    I understand about warranties being limited, but if a steel part can weaken and come off in an engine, it seems something is defective. Due to this, there should not be an issue of warranty of not. If something breaks because of time and circumstance, that is different. Engine parts should not just break off.
    I am still waiting for my repaired car. Toyota told me they practically have to replace the entire engine since the weakened valve spring came off and did a lot of damage -- to the tune of $11,000! No extended warranty, 87,000 miles, 5 years old. They "asked" me to "participate" in the repair for the amount of $2500. Then the dealership will pay some and Toyota will take care of the rest. They will only warranty the new parts for one year/unlimited mileage. I think they should warranty for 3 years/36000, and I am going to start my letter writing today. I have updated NHTSA about the defective engine (I think if a valve spring weakens and breaks off, the engine is defective.) and copied National Toyota Customer Care and the dealership.
    I have lost faith in Toyota. I don't know what I am going to do yet, but once I can handle a monthly payment I am getting rid of this car. This car that I have loved and talked glowingly about since I got it. Toyota is not standing behind their product.
    Today I am going into the third week without the car; it took them about 8 days to pull it all apart and figure out the problem, as I have posted. The service people at the dealer could not be nicer, but I want a better warranty on this new engine, a smaller amount - or zero - to participate, and Toyota national to "step up" and admit there was something defective with the engine for this to happen.
  • Options
    I get that you are upset, and appropriately so. I would be to if my engine blew up. Still, it was out of warranty. I'd take the $2500 offer, get the car fixed and sell it right away. Toyota really doesn't have to offer you anything and they are taking $8500 off the price of the repair - run with it.

Next time buy an extended warranty or a different car with a longer warranty. Or buy a new car before the warranty runs out.
  • Options
    I am definitely taking the offer. If not, then I have absolutely nothing.

Due to not having any extra funds to make a car payment, I have to keep it for a little while and then I will sell it. And the next car I buy will have a 100,000 miles warranty.
  • Options
    I called my local Toyota dealer and scheduled an appointment for Intelligent Power Module (IPM) Replacement service. I asked on the phone if they had the part in stock - they said they did. After waiting two hours today they tell me that I do, in fact, qualify for the recall but they do not have the part in stock. Why did I come in then? I ask. I already knew I needed the service based on the letter Toyota sent me. Why did they even schedule the appointment? Basically they wasted my morning, thanks a lot. 14 (I counted) service advisers standing around "helping" customers but no fail-safe to prevent the scheduling of unnecessary appointments. This is why I go to an independent mechanic. I get to talk to the mechanic when I schedule the appointment if I want to and there aren't 6 levels of bureaucracy that have replaced common sense. The woman who scheduled the appointment had no idea to what she was answering yes. Her job is to schedule appointments and that is what she did, great job.

I specifically asked if I could tow before the recall service was performed (I tow a 3000 lb boat/trailer combo a couple of times a month to/from my local lake) and was told it would be fine and that if the system failed while towing I would still be covered.
  • Options
    I disagree. We bought our '06 Highlander Hybrid with 45k miles about 3 years ago. It just turned 100k without any repairs needed, only routine maintenance. If we had purchased an extended warranty it would have been (a lot of) money down the drain. The inverter problem is covered by a recall. The hybrid system is covered to 100k anyway. I tried to price an extended warranty that covered the hybrid system beyond 100k and none exists, either through the dealer or aftermarket. If the Prius is any indication, the hybrid drivetrain should last indefinitely.
  • Options
    Just a quick update; I thought Toyota was going to repair the recall issue when they replaced my engine, but the part is not available yet. Thus, I have to be nervous about driving my car with this pending problem. I am still waiting to see what NHTSA finds out since the middle part of a valve spring (looks like a slinky) just broke out and destroyed the engine. That doesn't seem like it should happen since I have had regular, consistent maintenance!
  • Options
    nylove64nylove64 Member Posts: 8
    My inverter Blew 7/23/2010, After many letters and phone calls finally a (saftey) recall, I got a call from Toyota to tell me my Highlander was ready 9/21/2011, Oh after I pay for the Battery, Had to get the rotors resurfaced because it sat for 14 months @ Toyota and a oil change $329.00) After buying a used Honda $4,600.00, Paying for my unusable Highlander $406.00 insurace every month, Where is the justice.
  • Options
    joeboxervr6joeboxervr6 Member Posts: 1
    I can't believe this state of the art techno hybrid was sold with a tape deck!!!
    What's anyone suppose to do with a tape deck???
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
  • Options
    mainesail55mainesail55 Member Posts: 8
    That's hilarious. A couple of weeks ago as we were doing some housecleaning, I told my wife we should just pitch all of our old tapes since I can't remember the last time we used one.
  • Options
    jmawatchjmawatch Member Posts: 1
    I like the natural gas conversion idea for my 2007 Highlander Hybrid. How do I find an experienced installer?