Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Edmunds Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited December 2015 in Mazda
2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Edmunds Road Test

Our 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata is brilliantly light and responsive, and nimble and athletic and lithe, and any other number of other auto-journo adjectives you could use to describe a car that generally moves exactly where you point it, when you point it. And no doubt its bantamweight 2,332 pounds is a key component of this character.

Read the full story here

Comments

• 5vzfe5vzfe Member Posts: 161
    I totally agree with the carbon fiber thing. Unless the car's structure is made out of it, I don't want to see it. I don't like the look of carbon fiber hoods, roofs spoilers or trim pieces, even if it's genuine and definitely not if it's fake. Unless it's there for some purpose related to handling or strength, I don't want it - plus it's usually extra cost so no thanks. As far as the door rest trim, I think that's one of the cooler interior design features for this car but I've never driven one myself to see if the comfort thing is an issue I could live with. I'm an arm-out-the-window driver too.
  • reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    Put 20 more horses under the hood & skip the cheapening of the materials.
    Problem solved.
  • thepuffthepuff Member Posts: 87
    With only about 150 hp every gram does count; though I agree for the cost of admission and all the sacrifices you have to make owning this car (for instance, knowing the soccer mom in the Camry is going to be able to drill you off the line), these cheap cost-cutting measures seem extreme.
  • ProfRobBobProfRobBob Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2015
    I find the smooth arc the outside door skin makes with the interior trim extremely comfortable to rest your arm on when the windows are down. The sun visors I completely agree with and the door handles don't bother me but I get your point:)

The best door to rest your arm on when the windows were up that I ever owned was my 2004 G35 Coupe. There was a very wide flat somewhat cushioned surface to rest your arm on. They probably made wide door panels to make the cabin feel more cozy because I don't remember the sedan having the same design.
  • adamb1adamb1 Member Posts: 122
    You know what the Miata also is? Relatively inexpensive. Go get a convertible Bimmer, Merc, or other such if you want a myriad quality touch points.
  • longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    It's $30k and it has a very modest power output, a seat cushion that doesn't raise and lower, no lumbar adjustment, no tilt-and-telescope, no padding on the door, more omissions that are going to crop up in the upcoming comments.

There is a LOT to like about this car; the basic sports car mission seems to have been accomplished very well, but value for the money - relative value, as you put it, is not a real strong point.
  • stuntman_mikestuntman_mike Member Posts: 57
    The sooner that a Fiat 124 can show up for a side by side compare / contrast, the better.
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    Unrelated to the post but is the window button with an X on it lock out control from the power windows? If so, from whom? Most cars have the option to lock control from the rear seats but on a two-seater it must be something different.
  • emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    I dunno, that fake carbon fiber looks pretty damn sporting on the center console of Mom's RAV4.
  • ctpaulctpaul Member Posts: 46
    Should have waited for the 124
  • speed12silspeed12sil Member Posts: 23
    thepuff said:

With only about 150 hp every gram does count; though I agree for the cost of admission and all the sacrifices you have to make owning this car (for instance, knowing the soccer mom in the Camry is going to be able to drill you off the line), these cheap cost-cutting measures seem extreme.

ND does 0-60 in about 5.9 second. The fastest camry v6 tested either is as fast or slightly faster(5.7), so no, being "drilled" off the line aint gonna happen and launching camries without getting severe engine movement isn't exactly easy for most drivers.

• desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    I don't understand this post by Frio. This Miata does have a padded armrest. It is attached to the interior door handle. Where you would expect one to be. It also has one on the passenger side in case someone was wondering.
    Frio is complaining that the top of the door where it meets the window isn't padded...