Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda3 Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• Options
    autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    My car '04 doesn't shut off when I come to a start, but since Thanksgiving, it does drag when I start it. I've taken the car back to the dealership, as it is still under warranty, several times, only to be told that the trunk is draining the battery. Does that make sense?

Yes, but only if one's name is Alice and one lives in Wonderland.
  • Options
    coosamtncoosamtn Member Posts: 47
    "I've taken the car back to the dealership, as it is still under warranty, several times, only to be told that the trunk is draining the battery. Does that make sense?"

Yeah, makes perfect sense to me. Sounds like you have a defective trunk. Did they fix it?
  • Options
    jamison1jamison1 Member Posts: 4
    i was wondering about this myself. also have an '06 3i manual. trouble getting into first and second gear on start up when engine cold and weather cold.

when i do my 15k oil change i'll ask about it but not expecting any pearls of wisdom.
  • Options
    ex_tdierex_tdier Member Posts: 277
    How does mechanical quality in the 1st 90 days equate to reliability?

They are comparing reliability or mechanical quality during the first 90 days. If a car has significant problems within the first 90 days, that's pretty bad. Just think what long-term ownership will hold for us Mazda owners. :sick:

BTW, that is WHY I bought an extended warranty.
  • Options
    BTW, that is WHY I bought an extended warranty.

Extended warranties can be useful. How long do you plan to keep the car? Do you normally buy extended warranties for all your vehicles?
  • Options
    brodie2brodie2 Member Posts: 32
    What's the point of having an extended warranty when they don't fix the problem? Mazda has known about the stalling problem since 2004 and the problem still exists on the 2007.
  • Options
    kennyf1130kennyf1130 Member Posts: 15
    Where did you buy your extended warranty from? I'm thinking of purchasing one since I didn't want it when I was in the process of buying my car in December.
  • Options
    dridedride Member Posts: 139
    I have had a few repairs on my 2005 3 since purchase. All were done at the dealer under warranty. After each repair in about two weeks I get a survey to complete from Mazda corporate rating my experience with the dealer/service, etc... Since 2006, I have even been getting these surveys after oil changes. Are these service evaluations common? There are so many complaints about Mazda service here, I am just wondering if you folks are getting these surveys after your dealer service visits. They are very thorough and have ample space for specific comments. I did have a repair last year where they had to keep my car over a weekend because they didn't have enough staff on a Friday. I just noted my frustration with this in that survey. About a week later, I received a follow up call from someone at corporate and a follow up call from the dealer apologizing for the situation (this confirmed to me that someone actually reads these things.) I am trying to figure out if this is a mandatory national program or if dealer participation varies.
  • Options
    I have also received the surveys but only randomly.

My dealership service request forms mention the followup survey and add a proactive comment "if you feel you cannot give us an excellent rating on the survey, please contact us". So far, so good.
  • Options
    Extended warranties can be useful. How long do you plan to keep the car? Do you normally buy extended warranties for all your vehicles?

Extended warranties according to what is written about them from independents are a waste of money, but since I find things wrong all the time, and I have lousy luck, I need it.

I leased a GM in 1999 Malibu (glad I did), then I bought a brand new VW TDI--a few BIG problems, then I traded it in for my Mazda3. I am planning to keep my Mazda for at least 7 years total, probably 10 (if I live that long).

I have had used cars prior, except for a Honda Civic back in the early 90's. My Civic was a :lemon: . Honda Canada paid big bucks to fix the car...probably around $10,000. I had problems from bad seats, bad paint, to bad American Rebuilt Auto Transmissions (replaced twice, rebuilt by hand once). I had a great Japanese trained Honda Mechanic who helped me out and he rebuilt the transmission from hand in the end. At the 4 year mark, I got rid of my Civic.
  • Options
    What's the point of having an extended warranty when they don't fix the problem? Mazda has known about the stalling problem since 2004 and the problem still exists on the 2007.

True...Hopefully, they will have a fix or know what the problem is by the time my extended warranty runs out.

Also, with an extended warranty, they are likely to replace parts that may be "questionable" and at the very least, I'll get new parts...I had something similar happen with my Honda before where there was a rough idle....of course, I get the rough idle in my 3, but it's intermittent.
  • Options
    Where did you buy your extended warranty from? I'm thinking of purchasing one since I didn't want it when I was in the process of buying my car in December.

I got my warranty from the dealer, it's right on Mazda Canada's website. I imagine it's on the US one too.
    http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=shoppingToolsWa- rrantyMEPP

You can contact your dealer's business office, they sold me mine.
  • Options
    ckone0814ckone0814 Member Posts: 71
    :confuse: New 07 3S 5 dr. Been driving it a week and have noticed a very annoying clicking or cracking sound that happens usually when the front wheels hit some sort of hard edge (driver side tire seems to produce it more) or when the road causes a sudden and moderate front end flex. The sound SEEMS to be coming from lower windshield area, maybe the joint of the dash and the windshield? Any others or thoughts out there?

This car is fantastic otherwise but the noise will RUIN it for me. I know the dealer service will give me the ole "we can't hear anything".
  • Options
    jcrystaljcrystal Member Posts: 8
    There are long threads of discussion of this complaint on the Mazdaspeed3 forums.....no dealer solutions but lots of speculation about the cowl rubbing against the windshield. Some have tried lubing it, others adding foam tape, etc.
  • Options
    ckone0814ckone0814 Member Posts: 71
    Thanks for the info!. Sorry but where is the mazdaspeed3 forum you're speaking of? Thanks.
  • Options
    It was on one of the local stations 2nite on how our Mazda3 is getting broken into a lot by disabling the alarm. The police didnt go into too much detail since at this point, in that area it's kinda isolated. However, the cop from the auto theft division wrote Mazda Canada a letter about this. Mazda is refusing to offer a fix, but one dealer is installing a "lock guard" and giving a free oil change to those people who have had their car broken into.

What the heck is a "lock guard"?
  • Options
    Mazda3 is getting broken into a lot by disabling the alarm. The police didnt go into too much detail since at this point, in that area it's kinda isolated. However, the cop from the auto theft division wrote Mazda Canada

I find it curious that the show said it's isolated and yet it's happening a lot. How was the defect explained? Which police force wrote Mazda?
  • Options
    More info here:

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/01/19/mazda3-may-be-vulnerable-to-break-ins/1

The police force was in Victoria British Columbia Canada. I find it ridiculous to think how naive they are to believe that this is isolated!!
  • Options
    mazdazoommazdazoom Member Posts: 43
    Hey Guys,
    I had this P2188 error code and since I did not want to pay the dealer an arm and a leg to fix it I figured I would try it myself. You will need part number PN - BNYP-67-SH0 from the dealer ($5). Unplug the negative terminal. In the wiring harness that plugs into the Mass Airflow Sensor there is a black lead, you need a pin extractor or a very fine point to slide in and remove the lead/plug. Once the black wire is out you cut it, splice in the new one from the kit and solder it together.

Put the heat shrink jacket on and use a heat gun to shrink the rubber to fit, and plug the lead back into the harness. Once you have the harness all taped up and dressed just plug it back into the MAF sensor and you are good to go. My P2188 code cleared immediately. Here is a weblink with a detailed walk through...Good Luck!

http://www.mazda3club.com/showthread.php?mode=hybrid&t=41787
  • Options
    mja777mja777 Member Posts: 2
    I've just got the news from my local dealer that I may need to replace the intake manifold for $1200.00. I have a 2004 with 63000 miles. I noticed a clicking noise at about 53,000 miles. I own the 2.0 liter which is the 3i. Has anyone out there had the same problem? Any ideas on a less expensive solution?
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Tell the dealer's service manager (or Mazda if needed) that an intake manifold shouldn't fail after 3 years and 53-63k miles and ask them to help you out. There may be a "secret warranty" on it.
  • Options
    mja777mja777 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advise! I'll try that to see what they say.
  • Options
    Backy, how did you make out?
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I wasn't the one with the manifold problem.
  • Options
    Right...you replied to someone that did.

I wish Edmunds had auto quotes.
  • Options
    mazdrvrmazdrvr Member Posts: 112
    Okay, its been a long while since I have experienced having a new car so please bare w/me...
    I had my S sport (at) for 3 days now & driving it around for most of the day yesterday I noticed a few things and wanted to know if this is normal. The engine runs on the louder side (when ideling, @ stop lights...); the sound is like the fan running. Also, when I can here a very faint "whistling sound" too. Does any of this seem normal and i'm just being extra sensitive or is something else?
  • Options
    please bare w/me...
    :surprise: I think I'll pass on that suggestion.

engine runs on the louder side (when ideling, stop lights...); the sound is like the fan running. Also, when I can here a very faint "whistling sound" too. Does any of this seem normal
    Sounds like the fan is working normally. If your moving when your car is whistling it's likely your tires. Just sing along and be happy!
  • Options
    What your probably hearing is the electric power steering pump whine. It's a common problem with the 3's. They all have it and there's no fix. It is very annoying but of course, Mazda "can't hear it" ... everything's normal, move along! Turn your radio up!
  • Options
    Oops, didn't think that "bare w/me..." would sound odd... :blush:
    I'm not sure if it is the fan but sounds like that... The engine idling just seems as loud as my former 6 yr old Protege than it should for a new car; I just notice that riding in & driving other cars that they are more on the quiet side.
    Thanks for the answer!
  • Options
    Its not good but i'm glad to hear that its just not only me...
    I'll take your & autonomous' advice, i'll turn the radio up & sing along w/ the car!

I have a couple more questions (I appologize in advance for being a pain in the ..., i'm not rich and I just want this car to be how it should & be trouble free for years; remember I was financially traumatized by my former econobox & I never had a new car).
    - Is it normal to see alot of brake dust in the wheels/rim after only a few days (no heavy or sudden braking)?
    - The exhaust/tail pipe has blk build-up... looked like the old cars one, normal?
    Thank you in advace!
  • Options
    Yes, to both questions. The brake dust will abate somewhat after the pads break in. This car has great brakes. Same with the tailpipe build up as the engine rings seat
  • Options
    davo07davo07 Member Posts: 2
    Is it possible for me to replace the keyless remote on my Mazda 3, so therefore I can use it to open my trunk since it doesn't offer keyless trunk opening?
  • Options
    nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    The brake dust will not abate after the pads break in. After 2 years mine rear rims still look like I haven't cleaned them after 2 or 3 days of driving. I do not have a black deposit on my tailpipe, never have. If there is a black carbon build up maybe you car is running rich. Is your gas mileage OK? What does the engine rings setting in have to do with the black carbon?
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    We had the grinding brakes and dirty rear brake problem until they were replaced at 3k miles. Now with 24k on the clock, they recently replaced all the rear pads and rotors and now the brake dust is back worse than ever. Hoping this will disapate after we have some more miles on them. Annoying yes, but the groaning noise was so bad, we forced the service manager to swap everything out.
    Time will tell. This will be our last Mazda according to the wife. The car creaks and makes other noises which seems odd for a car with so low mileage. These little things are ruining the "Zoom Zoom" for us actually. Pity!!!

The Sandman :(
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. What do you mean by car running rich? I cleaned it a little ( I know!) and there has not been anymore build up. My gas mileage is okay? (full tank of gas = 6 days & 350 miles & I had little less than 1/4 left). Right now i'm still within the first 600 miles & not keeping much of a steady speed especially when on freeway. I noticed that my car vibrates & is slightly noisy for a new car. Just hoping this will be a reliable & low maintenance car for several years!! :)
  • Options
    mapper4mapper4 Member Posts: 4
    Ok I have brand new 07 Mazda3 S 2.3L M/T its not brand new reall had it about 3 months now but it is my first new car and I'm hearing a noise. I'm not the only one I've gotten friends and the dealership staff to hear it as well. Anyway here is the deal from the car being off it doesn't have to be cold (it isn't usually here in SoCal) just off.
    1) Turn Car on
    2) Start moving
    3) Shift into Second
    4) there will be a small plucking sound soon after go into second I can also feel it in the gas pedal.
    The sound and feeling are like a plastic or metal strip thats been bent back and then released so it plunks against something like a piece of wood.
    It only happens the first time after the car is turned on but happens everytime the car is turned off and on no matter how long or short a time it has been sitting.
    The mechanic I had ride with me from the dealership didn't know what it was either. ANY IDEAS?
  • Options
    You have two options here.

1. Go back to the dealer and speak to the service manager and ask to have a senior tech with the most trannny rebuild experience road test your car. Quiz the manager to determine how much experience the tech has.

2. Go to another dealer and follow #1.

Also, once a diagnosis is made and if it is the tranny ask what they will do. Will they tear your old apart and rebuild it or swap it with a rebuild from the factory? If it was me (I've been there, done that) I would ask to have your current tranny rebuilt instead of swapping it.

Just so you know, tranny problems or failure this early is rare...but [non-permissible content removed] happens.

Good luck.
  • Options
    blsampblsamp Member Posts: 3
    I have the same noise although I haven't noticed it more on the drivers side. I call it a creeking/rattling sound, but I think its the same one? Have you since had it checked out? I've had my 07 s touring 4 dr for close to the month now and had mine looked at today. Its been there since day 1. It gladly made the noise for the service guy after going down a not so smooth road. Without tearing out the dash, they could not tell me what the noise was. I'll probably bring it back in a few weeks since I'd rather it not make the noise forever. So hear I am, looking for people like you, suffering the same pain... :confuse:

Please share ;)
  • Options
    tomkozskitomkozski Member Posts: 39
    I have a 06 3i, have had the clicking/cracking/rattling since I got it (July 06). Thing is, for me it occurs when it's really cold outside and is usually gone once it's warm in the car. I would hear the sound very rarely when it was warm outside. I haven't asked the dealer about it though because it's not that annoying for me (at least not yet).
  • Options
    mapper4mapper4 Member Posts: 4
    All the windshield noise posters that is NOT the sound I was talking about I have no cracking or anything like it. I'm pretty sure for me it is the transmission having some kind of initially something clink/plunk into place after which no sound until i turn the car off
    but thanks for your posts anyway
  • Options
    watfalletwatfallet Member Posts: 12
    This morning I tried to start my 2006 Mazda 3i, and it did not start. There was a sound -- I can't describe it -- each time I tried to start it.

The car is 16 months old and has less than 8,000 miles on it. I called Mazda roadside help. The tow truck guy was able to start the car by giving it gas when he turned the ignition. I've been able to start it since then, but we'll see tomorrow morning if it works cold or not. Anyway, the tow truck guy said the engine seemed flooded.

Any ideas on why this would be? The car was parked and not driven for 4 days. I didn't give it gas when I tried to start it. Why would the engine be flooded?

A coworker thought this sounded like a computer/firmware issue.
  • Options
    I would agree that is might be a software problem, I had something similar in another car. I had to take it to the dealer and they flashed the PCM. After that I did not have the random start problems. Giving it gas works on older model cars, but you car (including the throttle) is controlled by electronics, so that points to software controls IMO.

Assuming you don't have a check engine light, I would take it back to the dealer (since it is under warranty) and tell them your problem, and then ask them to check your firmware and make sure you have the latest update. They should be able to check the TSB's and find the latest and greatest flash for your car.
  • Options
    baggins63baggins63 Member Posts: 3
    My MS3 is great EXCEPT that I need to ice down my Achilles tendon every night after driving it. The pain started about 10 minutes into my drive home after buying it - now I have 1300 miles on the car. It seems like there are a number of design flaw factors - the seat does not go far enough back, the seat does not support my thighs, my foot cannot extend to the right of the accelerator (there is a big housing there). I have driven dozens of cars in many countries over the past 28 years and have NEVER experienced anything like this. Any suggestions/adjustments that might not be obvious to me? I have tried all the seat adjustment combinations. For reference, my legs are relatively long - 34 inch inseam. If I can't fix this, I will have to sell the car (which would be a shame since it is great fun).
  • Options
    I have a very simliar problem with mine, I move the seat up and all the way back and the front of my shin still kills me (my foot is always angled up, toes towards me while driving). The ergonimics in the car are not that great for the driver. The only thing I have found that has helped is to use cruise control A LOT and work my foot between the brake and gas pedal so I can stretch it out (only on highway) OR just put my foot flat on the floor as often as I can while in cruise control. However, I do think it is such a problem that I would trade in the car if I could afford to do so. But I am stuck with this thing for some time to come...
  • Options
    zoomgirlzoomgirl Member Posts: 13
    i've noticed it as well. mine is more of a cracking than a rattling and comes from the passenger area. sounds as if the windshield is rubbing on something right? i didnt know if it was normal since temperatures have been reaching -45C here and its just too cold for any car (although i never had this prob with my other cars). *sigh* sounds like another problem i should have checked. im going for my check up inspection soon and ill mention it...ill let you know what they say.
  • Options
    talonmiktalonmik Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my 3. I am about the same leg size as you. I noticed it during test drive when my foot was catching on the brake while trying to accelerate. I had to raise my foot up to clear the brake and get clear of the wall on the right of the gas pedal. The salesman told me that it was just a matter of getting 'accustomed' to the feel of the car. Since then I have noticed while driving in rush hour that my leg is having pains. I'm 100 miles in with this car, I too will have to consider getting rid of it if there is no solution.

I found that when I wore my tennis shoes (smaller) it was better than with my work shoes. But what the hell am I supposed to do carry a set of 'driving' shoes in the car?
  • Options
    dridedride Member Posts: 139
    Try a thicker floor mat. I put in a thick rubbermaid mat, and it was just enough to alter the angle of my ankle in relation to the accelerator. My right shin and and calf do hurt if I am in seriously heavy stop and go. I had a big problem with this back in 2005, my wife thought I was being a complete wuss. In any case, your body will adjust.
  • Options
    So after posting about this problem the other day I went off to go play with my seat. Now when you adjust the seat up and down it actually travels on a 45 degree plane. So up, kind of moves you towards the windshield and opposite when going back down. If your seat is just a click or two too high then I think the foot/leg discomfort starts. I lowered my seat almost all the way down and back and this changed the angle of my foot by at least 10 degrees. I am only a day or so into this but it seems to be helping...
  • Options
    temperatures have been reaching -45C
    Woah! I get a chill just thinking about it. Are you in the great white north?