Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• mkuchytmkuchyt Member Posts: 6
    I've had an 07 Mazda3 2.3L 4dr since Sept. 06. With mainly short trip driving, I'm getting 22 MPG and have had no maintenance issues other than routine oil changes and tire rotations every 5k miles. Depending on where you live, you may want to get snow tires for the winter as the stock 17" tires have NO grip on snow or ice. When I was looking for a car, the Mazda3 was way more fun to drive than the Corolla and Civic.

Enjoy!
  • toguytoguy Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for the replies so far. I live in Toronto and plan to change the OEM tires with either good all-seasons (thinking of the Yokohama AVID TRZs, which I currently have on my Corolla. Highly recommended, btw.), or Winter tires.

One other thing that I'm researching is how much of the Mazda3 is Ford-sourced. According to wikipedia.org, for example, the 4-speed auto is made by Mazda while the 5-speed auto is made by Ford, which is the main reason that -if I do end up with a Mazda3- it will be the one with the 4-speed.

I'd appreciate any information, or any websites where I can get reliable information, about that issue.

Cheers
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Besides some brake squeal issues that the dealer took care of, the car's been very reasonable to maintain. We had bought a prepaid maintenance program for the 1st 45k miles, so I knew the wife would take it in to the dealer for the maintenance needed. looking back, probably wouldn't do it again but for what I paid and the services received...it more than justified the price. And since I knew that the wife would have more time to bring the car into the dealer, it's located at the entrance to our housing development, we went with it.
    My '06 Civic has only needed oil changes and no rotations yet since I drove over a nail and the rear tire wasn't patchable. Ended up having to purchase 2 tires for the rear. But this car is as "cheap to keep" as our previous Camry's and Corolla's.
    Very happy with our 2 cars now, eventhough the 3s seems to be not as well put together as the Civic.

The Sandman :)
  • toguytoguy Member Posts: 20
    Sandman, thx for your feedback.

It's interesting that you find the Mazda3 not to be as well-built as the Civic. My initial impression after having been a passenger in both cars a couple of time is the other way around; I think the Mazda3's interior fit/finish and general solidity is a notch above the Civic. Having said that, I've only had a brief experience with either car and, since you own both, I would be interested to know more details about why you think the Civic is better built.

Cheers
  • nichollwnichollw Member Posts: 1
    hey man, i am in your exact same position. except mine is even a bit more tricky. i purchased my m3hatchback from a woman who is from ohio (where i live) but had lived in Arkansas, then moved here then moved to germany (her husband is in the air force). anyways, i bought the car and it was in beautiful shape not a ding on it. she todl me how she had the oil chagned on regular intervals with full synthetic etc etc and the day after i made the first payment, the filter housing exploded and my engine was fried just like yours. after having it towed and all sorts of mess it ended up costing me 7612 dollars and i was advised to get a lawyer, which i did. i am currently working on the whole legal aspect of it but it is kind of tricky dealing with it from across the country haha. i wish you lots of luck, and im glad your insurance company would cover it because ours wouldnt even touch it. email me if you have any questions, ive become quite the expert about this topic haha.
  • roger341roger341 Member Posts: 59
    Have 04 Sedan, 160hp, 22,000 miles.

This am, backing out of garage, noticed several oil puddles on floor. Checked oil filter, it was tight, no sign of leakage.

Took it to dealer, he just called and said it was a collapsed motor mount. Fortunately the car is still under warranty.

Anyone hear of this problem?
  • mariodmariod Member Posts: 28
    Yes....
    I just had the same problem on my 05 2.3 with 47K. It's kind of common. Overall the car is rock solid. it does have a few minor issues, but that almost expected.
    I just wish it had a trunk release from the key fob. My buddy works at a Mazda dealer and he tells me there's NO serious issues with the 3 and he just one come in with 237K miles on it! Wow!

It's a great car and i love driving it!!!
  • 2006m32006m3 Member Posts: 1
    i bought my m3 2.3 (AT) in late 2006. i get horrible MPG. city and highway i get 18MPG. Highway i get 20MPG, and city i get no more than 16MPG. had the dealer do some firmware updates...it did not work. recently the car would not start. finally when it did, it would sputter and inside the car would be full of fumes. and if put in reverse the RPM would drop suddenly and turn the car off...if put in Drive, the car would shake suddenly. had it towed to the dealership, where it was turned on by the mechanic...he could not believe the fumes!
    from the day i bought the damn thin, i have had nothing but headaches. whenever taken to the dealer for problems, "problem not found".
    dealer mechanics are only good for oil changes and ripping customer's off, by offering services they are unable to perform. dealer mechanics hardly focus on the prolem at hand. they never pay attention to what complaints are and their work-orders do not include customer's complaints...only their own simplified-language...."engine problem"...okay.. perhaps they get paid by the number of cars they services, i.e. they just claim "no problem found"
    I never imagined a mazda would have so much problems...
    Be sure to keep your left climate control setting on Face or Face and feet.... If you turn that setting over to right, feet etc.... you WILL TURN ON YOUR AC Compressor....

It's a real stupid design, BUT it you turn the setting past 12:00 (feet) or any other setting to the right of that your A/C compressor will turn on and REDUCE your gas mileage. big time....

Help me spread the news, not many people know this.

Otherwise it's a great car!
  • scwmcanscwmcan Member Posts: 399
    My guess is at least 99% of other cars with air conditioning act in the same way. The defrost setting activates the A/C compressor to dehumidify the air and make your windshield clear up faster, regardless of the a/c switch being on or not. The A/C doesn't seem to affect my mileage that much (but it is mostly highway) but if you are in town then yes it could hurt more. That said don't drive around with your windows fogged up either (depending where you line that can be a big issue). All the cars I have ever owned with A/C operate the same way, so maybe there is a good reason for it, don't you think? Anyway it is definitely not a Mazda specific design, you should never drive around in any modern car in a defrost position all the time, the air conditioning will be operating.
    Scott
    You're partially correct.... But you're wrong too...

Most cars do NOT turn the AC compressor ON when you select the foot position (floor). This is usually the position that MOST people keep their air flow on..............
    This means that many Mazda 3 owners will experience lower the normal gas mileage, for sure.
  • nsbio1nsbio1 Member Posts: 75
    Another "feature" of Mazda3 A/C is that if you switch the airflow to your face or feet and turn the temperature knob to the coldest setting, the A/C automatically, forcefully comes on AND the air, forcefully, switches to recirculated, without my intending to do so.

This is a completely useless, stupid, and unacceptable blunder on the part of the car designers. If I want an A/C on, I am capable of pushing the button. If I want recirculated air, I can do the same just as easily. At least the A/C and recirculated air both can be manually turned off by pushing the buttons, but watch out - the next gen cars might not allow you to do even that.

This is my only gripe with my new 2008 Mazda3i so far. Otherwise, the car has been great - I just do not understand why Mazda designers decided to deliberately put a piece of turd on an otherwise exceptionally well thought out dish....

On a separate issue, automatically turning the A/C on when the airflow is directed to the windows is a useful feature that might potentially improve safety. If weather conditions are "right", flow of air suddenly directed at the windows can fog them up in seconds, which could result in disaster.. I read some time ago about this feature in a Toyota owners manual. In case of Corolla, the A/C automatically switches on in reduced power mode and the A/C indicator light does not come on. I am not certain, but I suspect that Mazda's implementation is similar.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    when you select the foot position (floor). This is usually the position that MOST people keep their air flow on

Really? I am surprised that you think that would be the most common position.
  • networkguynetworkguy Member Posts: 53
    Maybe it's different in my Mazdaspeed 3, The climate control does all the things mentioned here, but only when in Auto mode. Whenever I change any setting but temperature, the system kicks out of auto and it's back to full manual control. I can also turn off the auto with a button press. It does indeed turn on the AC whenever I select auto, even if I want heat. That dries the air nicely before heating it. I usually just hit the AC button to disable and go the old school route.
  • nsbio1nsbio1 Member Posts: 75
    Yes, it is different in some Mazda3S and Mazdaspeed 3, which have automatic climate control. The Mazda3i, which I was sort of ranting about, has manual A/C.
    I don't know about your 3 but mine doesn't turn on the a/c in the floor position, when it is in the defrost/floor (mixed) yes, and my grand am did the same thing as have my volvos and every other modern car I have seen, as soon as any air goes to the windshield it engages the a/c (and yes I would suspect it is not at full power)
    Scott
    If I am understanding you correctly you are saying the A/c is automatically turning on and going into rec when you turn the temp to full cold even on the foot only and foot and dash vents only (no air to the windshield)? I know mine doesn't do that at all, so either things are different in the states or yours is programmed differently, mine is a 2007 base hatch (gs sport in Canada) manual A/C, I see yours is a different year. It sounds like they may have changed something for the worse (in my opion as well as yous from the sound of it). I don't know why the A/c would operate in the manner you are describing, sounds weird and wasteful to me. I can understand the A/C coming on in defrost automatically but not in any non defrost mode. Is everyone else with a manual a/c 2008 3 experiencing the same thing? if so it sounds like a bad move on Mazda's part.
    Scott

Scott
    (P.S. sorry if I misunderstood what others were complaining about in previous posts)
    HERE ARE THE FACTS.... If all of you want to keep on beating this up that's OK too....

I have a 2005 Mazda 3 S 2.3 sedan, NO climate control.

Any time you turn your MODE dial to feet or windshield your AC compressor will turn on. Hence reducing your gas mileage.............

I have confirmed this with a Mazda engineer in California and a my Mazda mechanic. This is the way it was designed, it does make sence to me. My honda's do not do that....
  • mazdalemonmazdalemon Member Posts: 11
    I have an '04 Mazda3 - in May '07 engine issue @55k very loud ticking - bad wrist pin was the diagnosis. Engine was replaced. Given 12k/12month warranty. Just over the 12k warranty Jan '08 it's doing it again. Have appointment tomorrow. I'm freaking out! All service has done at dealership in timely fashion. Anyone have same issue or ideas?
    Mariod,
    I appologized in another message for not understanding what you had written, the fact remains that my 2007 (canadian model) 3 gs sport, manual A/C does not automatically turn the air on in any position that does not have defrost (air to the windshield) on it ie. defrost and mixed (air to the floor and air to the winshield). In pure floor, floor and dash vents (face) and just dash vents (face) the air conditioniing does not come on unless I turn it on, and in no position does it turn on the a/c button and the rec button regardless of temp position as another poster mentioned (I tried it this morning), so I am going to have to toss this one to differences in programming for the different markets (us and canada) though I agree with you if your a/c does act in this way (a/c auto on an floor only) it makes absolutely no sense at all, and is something that should be corrected.
    Again sorry for any misunderstanding.
    Scott
    I have a 2005 Mazda 3 S 2.3 sedan, NO climate control

When I was a kid we had a VW Bug. The heat ducts that ran from the engine in the back rusted through from winter road salt. Talk about NO climate control. ;)
  • gib11gib11 Member Posts: 47
    Honda now do the same thing has almost all other make. The reason why? Warm temperature from the floor will result in condensation. Using a/c lowers humidity rate so therefore keep the windows from frosting or condensating.
    My Honda is a few years old and it does turn on the compressor unless it's on the windshield setting.

What your saying makes sense, but what a waste of gas..... I don't always need dry air in the car......

Thanks.
  • gib11gib11 Member Posts: 47
    You're wright, it cost more fuel. To save some fuel when I'm on the highway I just turn the fan off. The a/c turns off at the same time. At the highway speed theres anough air flow to keep the windows from condensating...at least in the front!
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    To save some fuel when I'm on the highway I just turn the fan off. The a/c turns off at the same time

I think the problem with turning the fan off when you have an A/C equipped car is potential growth of mold. I always have the fan running at the minimum speed for that reason.
  • vrodriguezvrodriguez Member Posts: 9
    I'm preaty new to the forum, but I've found your info very handy. I'm a disable vet and normally have to pay someone to do any type of work, because I don't have the right tools, time or my illness won't allowed me. Thank you for sharing this info. I'm in the process of preparing my 04 Mazda 3 H/B for car shows and this manual has come very handy.

Do you know, where could I find the entire engine bay hoses diameters. I'll like to replace them all for aftermarket ones.

Thanks and LORD Bless! :)
  • vrodriguezvrodriguez Member Posts: 9
    On your 1st to 2nd problem. There is a Technical Bulletin out, which tells the Mazda mechanics to reprogram your computer. The problem is known as "Shift Shock". My son had it done on the 04, 3H/B and now it works like a charm.

Just go to the dealer and tell them that you're (meaning the car, HA!) experiencing the 1st to 2nd "Shift Shock" problem and they will reset the ECU. :)
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    First off, a sincere thank you for your service to our country. As for finding out all the hose diameters, I checked a couple of other Mazda Forums and they didn't have any information either. Have you considered finding a good parts guy at your dealer who would be willing to let you measure Mazda replacement hoses? Failing that I'm afraid that you will probably have to remove the hoses and measure them. I'm thinking of taking my MS3 to a show or two this summer. I'm keeping it stock for now however, with the possible exception of a new intake.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• uunfewsuunfews Member Posts: 7
    I am in the market for a Mazda 3 but after reading this board I am having second thoughts. What I like to know is how come no ones have decide to form a class action lawsuits on these issues that was brought up on the board????
    What I like to know is how come no ones have decide to form a class action lawsuits on these issues that was brought up on the board????

What you need to remember is that the people who post complaints on internet forums are a very tiny percentage of actual owners. My 2007 Mazdaspeed3 has been trouble-free in the 10,000 miles I've owned it, and I suspect that is true for the vast majority of Mazda 3 owners. Extrapolating any brand of vehicle's reliability from the amount of complaints found on message boards is a fool's errand.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

The replacement engine was defective too! Could I win the lottery instead? THe orig. engine was crated up and sent back - dealer has no knowledge of actual part failure. The replacement engine is being broken down and repaired at the dealership. So far they've found problem in cylinder 2 and 4 -- the exhaust valves are loose. Need to measure and order correct shims....
    Where do you the facts and percentages of failures that would warrant a class action lawsuit. I know I'm not the only experiencing this problem... ZOOM, ZOOM, TICK, TICK, boom?
    I agree partially only because if these issues are such a small handful of owners then wouldn't it be wise of Mazda to make sure the owners are happy. Word of mouths are the cheapest source of free advertisings any manufacturers would want to have.

I use the board as well as JD Power and CR to try to make a purchasing decision between the Corolla, the Civic and the 3. JD gave the Mazda 2 points whereas the Corolla and Civic get 4 points in the mechanical quality area. That is huge difference in initial quality concerns. Consumer Report, also a very trustworthy source, listed the Mazda for above average in reliability whereas the Civic and the Corolla get a full circle marking and practically in a tie with the Corolla given a slight edge over the Civic.

For those M3 owners that are currently having problems I feel for you and I hate to be in the same situation you are currently having. I can only suggest you Googled for Lemon Law and post your result to help those that are currently considering the 3 such as myself.

On a side note, I once owned a VW Scirocco. A fun to drive car. Sure footed and nimble just like the current Mazda 3 but the little things that break down on me completely turned me off to the brand and negated any good feeling I originally had. It is far fetched to compare Mazda to VW but my only hope is that Mazda take these issues seriously and addressed them honestly so that they can continue they success.
    I think you're getting the wrong message on this board.... It's very easy for people to [non-permissible content removed] about something.
    I have owned my 3 for over 2 years and have 48K miles and NO issues ever.... I even personally know a mechanic at the Mazda dealer, and he too tells me that the 3 is a great car.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but you make it out to be junk... I'm sorry but you're 100% wrong...

Check out these web sites and see for your self what owners are saying.... (www.msn.com)

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/reviews.aspx?year=2007&make=Mazda&model=Mazda3- &trimid=-1
    I agree partially only because if these issues are such a small handful of owners then wouldn't it be wise of Mazda to make sure the owners are happy. Word of mouths are the cheapest source of free advertisings any manufacturers would want to have.

True enough, but the fact is that there are some pathetic souls that you can NEVER satisfy, and those folks are the type most likely to spam all the boards with their tales of woe.
    As for your purchasing decision, I found the Civic to be fun to drive, but I don't like the Battlestar Galactica two-story IP. And the Corolla -like all Toyotas save the Celica, MR2, and Supra- is a mind-numbing FWD appliance.
    In my case, I was looking for a fun commuter hack to use until I decide on my next track rat and/or sports sedan. The Mazdaspeed3's performance/price ratio won the day, so it will stay in my garage for at least another 6-12 months...

• JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Another very satisfied owner here, approaching 20,000 miles on a '07 GT sedan and have experienced zero problems. I peruse this board only to watch for any issues that might crop up.
    Hi All,

I am new here and thinking of purchasing the Mazda 3 but seeing the problems above and probably more that I haven't had a chance to find out less I spend the next 3 years reading the whole board ...LOL

So I thought I would ask the owners of these cars what problems have Mazda fixed permanently once and for all. I see no consensus whether these issues were fixed or not. Some said yes and some said no.

Mazda folks at corporate are POS. I thought of calling them first since what better way than to get the truth from the horse mouth. But NO!!! They denied right away of ever having an AC issue when I asked them of it. AND I haven't even asked them about the others issues..LOL. So far I am not impressed with them playing stupid and dumb about the AC issue. What a nice way to start a relationship Mazda. Already stonewalling me!!!!

So help me out folks!!!

Have I missed out any other problems?

What's fixed permantly?

Is the AC up to snuff on the 08???

Have the bugs been worked out?

Am I going to get a lemon???

Do I need a lawyer???

ETC.......
    All I can say is that my 2007 has been flawless to date, no issues at all. I have 30,000 km on it (about 20,000 miles). As I have mentioned in another post, if you get the all black interior, it does seem to take longer for the A/C to cool the car, but it does get the temp down pretty well in the end (and this is better than the protege 5 my partener had before the 3). I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 3 to anyone, you have to keep in mind that these boards are for people to complain, and do not represent the vast majority of the people who own these cars (as a matter of fact look at any of the cars you are interested in and you will see simialr complaints from all). It does trouble me that some people are not getting their complaints handled well, but this also seems to be the case with most fo the makes as well, and of course those having the hardest time (or what they percieve as the hardest time) are the most vocal.
    Buy the car if you like it, if you are too worried about the potential probles you se here don't buy it, buy something you are more comfortable with, life is too short to worry about problems all the time.
    Scott
    So help me out folks!!!

Have I missed out any other problems?

What's fixed permantly?

Is the AC up to snuff on the 08???

Have the bugs been worked out?

Am I going to get a lemon???

Do I need a lawyer???

ETC.......

From the content and tone of your letter, I'm almost certain that you will be miserable no matter what car you buy. You might want to keep the car you have; you will save money AND keep your misery quotient constant.

• mazdazoommazdazoom Member Posts: 43
    I don't know about the 2008, but I have a 2004 Mazda 3 hatchback 5 spd and it is great. With 75,000 miles it is running perfectly. Now, I had a few minor bugs when I first got it (growing pains of a first year model if you ask me):

Airbag sensor - recall, fixed by Mazda

Faulty connection in wiring harness causing check engine light - I actually found the fix here on this site, bought a replacement wire/kit from mazda and fixed that myself (only certain cars).

And after my 30K maint, the tech said all my brake linings were fine (I usually do all my own work on cars but I was too busy with work and school, so I just let them do it). Well, they were not fine in the back and within a month my rear rotors were destroyed because there is not a tattle tail back there, and by the time I noticed it was too late. So I took the full circle report back to mazda and showed them how they said I was in the green and asked that they replaced the rotors. They took full responsiblity and replaced both rear rotors, only charging me for new pads (which I would have had to buy anyways even if I noticed it).

My wife also owns a 2004 mazda S sedan with 62,000 miles (automatic), here are the issues I have had with hers:

Airbag sensor - recall, fixed by mazda

A/C not cooling well - there was a small leak that mazda detected with a smoke test and they fixed it under warranty.

Faulty thermostat @ 60k (this can happen on any car after a while) - I bought the part from mazda and replaced this in my driveway, it was a tight space under the hood, but I got it.

Shift Shock - Hard shifting from 1st to 2nd, a well known problem here. I had the PCM flashed at the dealer and that fixed it. They filed it under warranty, even though we were out of warranty at this point.

So I have had great experience with Mazda, and after a few small repairs the cars have performed perfectly. Now, I came from a dodge HEMI quad cab and a history of Mustangs, and for a 4 banger this little car can zip, and it handles great, not to mention it is easy on the pocket book when it is time to fill up. I will likely not buy a first year model car ever again though, got to let them work out the bugs first. I also did most of the 60K maint on both of our cars and upgraded our air filters and spark plugs, the cars run great and are fun to drive. When you look at the HP, interior room, design, fun factor, and MPG I think it is the best "economy class" or "fuel sipper" out there. You can be efficient and not give up all the fun. Hope this helps, good luck.
    Research any piece of gear on the net for problems, and you end up believing there isn't a single quality product built by anyone. It's the echo chamber effect. My 07 MS3 GT has been great. I had A CEL a few weeks after purchasing it. The dealership was responsive and professional with the repair. Other than that, it's been flawless. I usually experience some buyers remorse on large purchases. I've had none with my Mazda.
  • acdacd Member Posts: 11
    :) I've owned a '07 M3i 5SP Touring package since early October 2006, and it now has around 19,000 miles. I had one problem last fall with a CEL for some kind of emmissions purge valve. Mazda replaced it for free. So far the brakes, fuel pump, manual transmission, clutch, etc. are all fine. I live in the Southeast US, and the air conditioning seems fine too. This car has been dependable and a joy to drive. :)

(It compares extremely favorably to the 2000 Olds Intrigue I owned before this car. I liked it, but there were problems: I was tired of carrying it to the dealer for extended warranty work at $100 a pop) :cry:
    Diagnosis: The replacement engine is bad. Cylinder 2 and 3: exhaust valve floating. Mazda dealership is being great. They've ordered tools, tore down the engine, ordered parts (shims etc), triple checked valve clearance, put it all back together and it's still making noise! 8 days into the repair and they're trying to get answers from Mazda to get to the bottom of it...
    I'm pretty new to these messages boards but I've got a Mazda3 that at about 55k the engine developed a very loud ticking noise. The engine was replaced and at about 15k after that it started again on the replacement engine. The dealership found cylinders 2 and 3 exhaust valves floating....measured, put in shims, measured clearance put it all back together and it's still not right. You're getting close to the mileage so don't run w/ your radio too loud! Beware of the ticking...
    Zoom, Zoom, tick! Would your mechanic friend have ideas for my mechanics 'cuz they're stumped and waiting for guidance from Mazda?
  • mkelly7mkelly7 Member Posts: 2
    My daughters both have 2005 Mazda 3 and are having the same problem. The first daughter hit about 26,000 and it all started with her stereo going out. Now when she makes left hand turns the gas goes out, and the power dies.She coasts into the street and has to start the car again, it does. But the steering locks as well when this is happening.
    Dealer doesnt know what's wrong. Taken in 3 times. Anybody out there know of this issue.
    Now my other daughter, her stereo goes out. Then comes back on. What's up?
  • mkelly7mkelly7 Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever resolve this issue? We have 2 Mazda 3 and both cars are shutting down while making left hand turns?
    I don't know what the solution is, or even what the probrlem is, it is strange that the steering wheel locks up though, I am just wondering if it is actually locking up, or the steering is just getting too hard for your daughther's to turn because the power assist is gone. If the steering wheel is actually locking I would have to suspect a fault in the ignition assembly because that is pretty much the only way I know that the steering wheel lock is engaged. It may be that it is electrically controlled somehow in the 3. I would definately get the ignition switch and everything atached to it checked out (as a matter of fact it could possibly be that the connector to it is loose and being pulled just enough to loose contact when a left turn is being made, just a theory though). Anyway I hope you can get the problem resolved on both your cars.
    Scott
  • mazdrvrmazdrvr Member Posts: 112
    Hope everyone is having a good new year so far...
    I had my 07' 3 s sedan for almost a year already and i have been noticing lately that as soon as i start my car, there's a very strong exhaust & gas smell; i have the garage door open already but i have to pull out the car because the smell takes up the whole garage. Does anyone know what the issue might be? Theres no smoke or anything coming out of the muffler or anything.
    -Also my 15,000 maintenance is coming up in about a month and whats good to have done in addition?
    - this is going to sound dumb but is it bad to drive at high speeds (75-80) almost everytime you drive?
    -my brakes are fine (when it was checked at last oil change) but they are squealing; they seem to squeal mostly coming to a slow stops. Do i need to change the pads?
    Sorry for all the questions!! Thank you for any responses!!
    -my brakes are fine (when it was checked at last oil change) but they are squealing; they seem to squeal mostly coming to a slow stops.

My '07 MS3 has about 13,500 miles on it and the brakes have just started doing the same thing. They work just fine, but I get a singing squeal just before it comes to a complete stop. It seems to go away for a while right after I wash the car. I was going to have it checked at the 15000 maint.
    Also my 15,000 maintenance is coming up in about a month and whats good to have done in addition?

Just do what your Owners Manual calls for; anything else is a waste.

- this is going to sound dumb but is it bad to drive at high speeds (75-80) almost everytime you drive?

Not as long as you give the engine 5-10 minutes to warm up first. I usually see 90+ every day or so.

-my brakes are fine (when it was checked at last oil change) but they are squealing; they seem to squeal mostly coming to a slow stops. Do i need to change the pads?

No, you simply need to use your brakes a bit harder; the pads are probably a bit glazed. Make 4-5 moderately hard brake applications slowing the car from 60 mph down to 20 mph. Drive @ one mile between applications to allow the brakes to cool. That should cure the squeal.

• mazdrvrmazdrvr Member Posts: 112
    Thank you for your reply, much appreciated!