Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW To Debut Touchless

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited December 2015 in BMW
BMW To Debut Touchless

BMW is presenting its interpretation of a future interior and user interface in its Vision Car concept, to be presented next week at the 2016 CES.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    zoomzoomnzoomzoomn Member Posts: 143
    I've used the gesture control in the new 7 series. It's a novelty, at best, and with most controls right at hand and the availability of one touch voice command it quickly becomes an effort in tactile overkill. It's greatest shortcoming is the fact that when you are driving and your car is jouncing about down the road it becomes difficult to manage your motions in an unfettered fashion. Back to the drawing boards?
  • Options
    piredonpiredon Member Posts: 50
    I'm a big fan of the dial and 8 supporting buttons. Once you get used to it, it's easy to navigate, and easy to hit the correct commands. I hate touchscreens because of the fingerprints, primarily, but also because it's easy to miss your intended target while the car is in motion over less than perfect roads. It requires a lot more attention (taken away from driving) in order to hit the mark. A touchless touchscreen is likely to be even worse, at least for several generations. But in typical German fashion, we have to take something simple that works really well, that we are all used to, and abandon it in favor of something flashy, new and more complicated. Resources might be better spent on making the GPS work better than on redesigning an excellent input/interactive system in the current iDrive.