Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2015 Acura TLX - Edmunds Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2016 in Acura
2015 Acura TLX - Edmunds Road Test

It was to be my last hurrah in the 2015 Acura TLX and I wanted it to be a good one. A chance for the sedan to redeem itself from having three gears too many and a transmission calibration that makes me want a cup of Dramamine.

Read the full story here

Comments

• banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    I guess someone had to make Acura happy for letting you all drive their car for free. I just didn't expect to be Josh.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Although the ZF 9-speed is hated by all who have experienced it in all vehicle applications the SH-AWD is the best in the business. Acura markets it's super handling torque vectoring but that same ability gives it amazing traction in snow and ice. If one tire has traction that's usually enough for SH-AWD to get the vehicle moving as it constantly transfer power front and back left and right to keep going and dig itself out.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    Yup, Acura's SH-AWD is the best AWD system that nobody knows about. You talk to any of the German fanboys and they know nothing of it. This video really illustrates how good SH-AWD is in the snow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJZxVefta68
  • 5vzfe5vzfe Member Posts: 161
    I have a hard time trusting computers with 4WD or AWD applications. Most of the time in my own truck, the only way to gain traction is to start locking the electric differentials, which shouldn't be necessary since the traction control is designed to alleviate the problem by applying the brake on the spinning wheel to push power to the other axle. I've driven my aunt's 2010 TL with the SH-AWD system and it's very impressive and surprisingly capable. Aside from the traditional locking differentials and 4Lo, it's one of the only systems I've driven that is a no-brainer to check off the options sheet. The Subarus I've played around in (2002 WRX and 1997 Outback) are also excellent.
  • longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    This post sounds too much like, "we finally found a couple of things the TLX is good at."

'Bout time.
  • emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    edited January 2016
    banhugh said:

I guess someone had to make Acura happy for letting you all drive their car for free. I just didn't expect to be Josh.

Yeah, this is quite an about face. Perhaps it requires more detail and nuance to explain than a blog post can hold, but this seems too much of: "well, turns out I was just using it wrong and everything the entire Edmunds staff and other outlets have complained long & hard about are really just fine after all. Sure, compared to what you would expect from Acura and how Acura markets itself, it's a soggy unengaging mess with a crap transmission. But if you are not expecting much, it does really well".

I'm unconvinced but not inconvincible. The SH-AWD seems to make the car. Without it, I wonder if it is any better to drive than an Accord or Camry V6. At least the transmissions in those two cars work well.
  • mapleloafmapleloaf Member Posts: 2
    I have had my issues with a couple of things about my nine speed. However, the one notched shift has all but ben eliminated except between 2 - 3K, and then, only marginally noticeable. The rest of the shifts are buttery, the downshifting delay has improved with the last programming adjustment, and the car handles very well. Throw in comfort, ride quality, technology, the excellent aforementioned SH-AWD, and the superb ELS and I look forward to each and every ride. BTW, the 8 speed dual clutch on the four is still my favourite transmission for the car, but the 3.5 and the SH-AWD are a difficult pair to give up.