Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Five Million More Vehicles With Defective Takata Airbags To Be Recalled | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2016 in General
imageFive Million More Vehicles With Defective Takata Airbags To Be Recalled | Edmunds.com

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration on Friday announced a new round of recalls of an estimated five million vehicles with defective Takata airbags and said the move was prompted by the death of the driver of a 2006 Ford Ranger in December.

Read the full story here

Comments

• henry4hirehenry4hire Member Posts: 106
    I saw pics of someones face that got destroyed by one of these airbags. So who is going to jail over this? No one? Sounds about right. How are they still in business?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    So Asian companies can cheat and lie too B) I don't see how Takata avoids BK at this rate and the car manufacturers don't end up having some unexpected expenses due to all of this mess.
    Rumor mill is active this afternoon - Takata has hired bankruptcy lawyers per the WSJ headline (paid link).
    edited June 2016
    "Toyota Motor Corp., Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV, Volkswagen AG and Mitsubishi Motors Corp. have all confirmed equipping some new vehicles with rupture-prone Takata air bags that lack a drying agent, according to a report from U.S. Senate Commerce Committee Democrats. Those air bags, linked to the lion’s share of deaths and injuries from ruptures, are legally allowed to be sold in vehicles but must be recalled by the end of 2018."
    New Vehicles Found to Have Faulty Takata Air Bags (WSJ - free link at time of posting)
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    This is a major nightmare like none other for the auto industry! The store where I worked has a bunch of new cars that they can't sell. They also have quite a few nice used cars that can't be sold. they only have so many places to park cars and their remote storage lot is packed. These used cars depreciate as the months roll by.

I'm guessing that the auto manufactures are keeping Takata alive because they HAVE TO in order to get these replacement parts. It's a horror story!