Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

I Need Help! 1998 Chevy Malibu overheating and leaking.

tatiana0825tatiana0825 Member Posts: 1
edited February 2016 in Chevrolet
I have a 1998 Chevy Malibu. My FIRST Car... The very first thing that happened is my heater stopped working then my car started overheating and leaking. I was advised that it was my radiator. I replaced that with a brand new one and it still overheated. The mechanic then told me it was a cracked head and told me the simply way to fix it was to put some radiator and gasket sealer so I did that. After this my husband noticed that the fans weren't working so the mechanic came by and quickly got them working again, but there was still no luck. I had another machanic work on it and he said it was the thermostate, we did not replace it with a new one because he said that if he cleaned it and made it come back open that it would be fine. He also just replaces the coolant temperature sensor. He then said it was the water pump that wasn't working so he went and got a used one cleaned it up and put it on. Still nothing!!! Some then he says that my radiator cap was not put back on when I got my radiator replaced. So he said he fixed that. Now The engine itself does not get hot but the tank that I put water in does, it boils and I can only go so far until it really needs to be refilled it starts smoking on the right side where the water goes. Now the mechanic is saying that it is my heater coil, and my fans still don't consistantly come on. Every now and then when i'm putting water in it one of them may be on very rare though. I want to know if there are any other suggestion before I get all that work done.