Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Utility When You Need It - 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2016 in Acura

imageUtility When You Need It - 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Long-Term Road Test

You wouldn't think to take a 2015 Acura TLX on a Home Depot run, but it can actually handle a surprising amount of lumber.

Read the full story here

Comments

• subytrojansubytrojan Member Posts: 120
    Nice job, Ed!
  • emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    Sedans accommodating long lumber with the seats folded down is nothing new, but a Honda product with a split folding seat so you can haul the lumber and a backseat passenger if necessary is worth noting.
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    Return of the goosenecks? Edmunds should do some reporting on trunk hinge design. A decade ago, gooseneck trunk hinges were the kiss of death in any sedan review. Every journalist felt they had to call out the hinges for their space-consuming (if not luggage-crushing) design. As a result, many automakers switched to more complex hinge design which, while more expensive, would open up more space in the trunk. Now, it appears that goosenecks are back. All across the industry and at every price point. What happened? It seems odd that this inferior design seems to be returning to the market. It's even more surprising to see it in so many luxury brands.
  • nagantnagant Member Posts: 176
    legacygt said:

Return of the goosenecks? Edmunds should do some reporting on trunk hinge design. A decade ago, gooseneck trunk hinges were the kiss of death in any sedan review. Every journalist felt they had to call out the hinges for their space-consuming (if not luggage-crushing) design. As a result, many automakers switched to more complex hinge design which, while more expensive, would open up more space in the trunk. Now, it appears that goosenecks are back. All across the industry and at every price point. What happened? It seems odd that this inferior design seems to be returning to the market. It's even more surprising to see it in so many luxury brands.

Luxury cars often have automatic trunk openers (really silly) and gooseneck hinges are much easier to use with powered trunk openers. Also you notice that the hinges are enclosed so they dont damage luggage etc. Also the openings can be larger with goosenecks.
  • cube1uscube1us Member Posts: 5
    All of my Accords since 2002 (my 1993 had just a small pass thru), and my 2009 TSX can do this as well. It is amazing what I can fit in that TSX. Despite being a slightly smaller car, it has a LARGER trunk - and included the space saver spare as standard.